Thread: Park Hill Road, c1910

Blog Entries

Default Park Hill Road, c1910

This shot of Park Hill Road is by the same amateur photographer who took the photograph of Beresford Road posted last week. The focus of the image appears to be the shop of Ann Young, confectioner and wholesaler of crumpets and muffins, at 64 Park Hill Road, with a young, delivery boy in the doorway. [...]

More...

I don't think the focus on the shop comes into it,Colin...otherwise the photographer would clearly included the shop.

Parkhill road was middle & upper class area and the housing was more advanced in terms of quality of life ie sanitry,drainage,running water in the home ect.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    I don't think the focus on the shop comes into it,Colin...otherwise the photographer would clearly included the shop.

Parkhill road was middle & upper class area and the housing was more advanced in terms of quality of life ie sanitry,drainage,running water in the home ect.
    I agree with GeorgePorgie that the shop does not appear to be the focus of this picture, unless the photograph has been cropped. The delivery boy and shop doorway make for an interesting peripheral detail, but the focus of the photograph would appear to be more the row of houses and the people standing in the street.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Another good pic' Colin! Something so ordinary,but fascinating!

Blog Entries

Hi Chris,
    I think the angle of view is interesting - not taking in the whole sweep of the street. I think you will get a better 'picture' with the next two photos I post. I rarely crop photos - usually only if there is damage to the edges. I try to give the photographer's view without my interpretation.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Colin, your photo's are always a pleasure to see. Keep em' coming.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post

Thanks for the info, George! - Very interesting to see what the middle and upper classes were wearing in 1910... Or were all the people in the picture in the process of delivering something?

Middle class is usually measured through such terms a Skill,Education and higher incomes.....I don't think a music teacher,copper smith,pawnbroker is working class...do you?

The working class was usually unemployed or worked in mills,foundries ect,ect in a nutshell these were the backbone of hard grafters that worked in the industries because they lacked what the middle classes had...Education,Skills and pityful income if they were lucky and lived in the slum areas.