Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: OLD LIVERPOOL POST CARDS & PICTURES.

  1. #1
    Senior Member phredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    runcorn
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default OLD LIVERPOOL POST CARDS & PICTURES.

    A new thread for an old subject.

    Advertisements -------

    Picked this post card up at a boot fair. Can not tell what year it was, maybe you can. All I can say is:- it was before my time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured 2007-4-18 00000.jpg 
Views:	1050 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	2329  
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Hi Phredd

    Thanks for starting this thread, Phredd. Hey that rhymes! Both PhilipG and I are postcard collectors so no doubt we will have images of our cards to add before too long. At a guess, I would say the card you show is probably 1920's to 1930's based on the old Green Goddess trams on Mann Island. Perhaps Philip has a better idea of the date.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  3. #3
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,488
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    There have been a few posts on postcards:

    1) Very good views. Most early postcards date from...

    Most early postcards date from 1902 when it became possible to write the message on the same side as the address.
    So, if there is writing on the picture side of the card, and just...
    2) Dating postcards.



    Become A Supporter 👇


    Buy Me A Coffee




    Donate Via PayPal


    Donate


  4. #4
    Senior Member marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wavertree
    Age
    41
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default


  5. #5
    Senior Member marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wavertree
    Age
    41
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    MaritimeDigital Encyclopedia


  6. #6
    Senior Member marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wavertree
    Age
    41
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Liverpool Station of London! Sorry Kev, but I find it, and I think that itīs very beauty!

    Last edited by marie; 04-18-2007 at 07:49 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wavertree
    Age
    41
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default











    And more here: Link

  8. #8
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Marie wrote:

    I am not sure... help me!!

    Itīs said, Liverpool, New Scotia... Is it possible?


    Yes, certainly, see here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool,_Nova_Scotia

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  9. #9
    Member Genevieve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    I am not sure... help me!!

    Itīs said, Liverpool, New Scotia... Is it possible?
    Good try Marie but Nova Scotia is a maritime province of Eastern Canada! There I woudn't need any visa!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wavertree
    Age
    41
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Marie wrote:

    I am not sure... help me!!

    Itīs said, Liverpool, New Scotia... Is it possible?


    Yes, certainly, see here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool,_Nova_Scotia

    Chris
    Thanks, I am edit it. And in the last photo saids: Colchester, but in the web saids Liverpool. I am confused. Sorry, but I am not know the UK geography!

  11. #11
    Senior Member marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wavertree
    Age
    41
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default





    More here: Link
    Last edited by marie; 04-18-2007 at 09:05 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Liverpool Street, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, that last one, Marie.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  13. #13
    Newbie begsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Phredd, there's no vehicle traffic on your pic.(apart from the trams), so it must have been taken after the Mersey tunnel was opened--early thirties??

  14. #14
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Phredd

    Thanks for starting this thread, Phredd. Hey that rhymes! Both PhilipG and I are postcard collectors so no doubt we will have images of our cards to add before too long. At a guess, I would say the card you show is probably 1920's to 1930's based on the old Green Goddess trams on Mann Island. Perhaps Philip has a better idea of the date.

    Chris
    Chris, That's the Pier Head, not Mann Island and the Green Goddesses (1930s) were noted for their streamlined design.
    Only trams and later, busses would be seen here as all other traffic would use the Floating Roadway.

    So, what other clues are there?
    The Titanic Memorial, and the blob on the horizon which is probably Wallasey Town Hall - both 1916.
    Apart from knowing about the Green Goddesses, I don't know much about trams (or even ships), so the photo is after 1916, but before 1930.

    If the card is unused it may say (where the stamp should be) that the inland postage is 1/2d and foreign postage 1d. In that case such postcards are definitely no later than 1918.

    It's always hard to put a precise year on postcards.
    There is just one tram on this card of mine which places the date very close to 1957 when the last tram ran in Liverpool.

    BTW, Kev, could we leave this thread with "Postcards" in the title, as the last one got merged with something else and faded away?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1950s.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	2338  
    Last edited by PhilipG; 04-19-2007 at 10:24 AM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Chris, That's the Pier Head, not Mann Island and the Green Goddesses (1930s) were noted for their streamlined design.
    Only trams and later, busses would be seen here as all other traffic would use the Floating Roadway.

    So, what other clues are there?
    The Titanic Memorial, and the blob on the horizon which is probably Wallasey Town Hall - both 1916.
    Apart from knowing about the Green Goddesses, I don't know much about trams (or even ships), so the photo is after 1916, but before 1930.

    If the card is unused it may say (where the stamp should be) that the inland postage is 1/2d and foreign postage 1d. In that case such postcards are definitely no later than 1918.

    It's always hard to put a precise year on postcards.
    There is just one tram on this card of mine which places the date very close to 1957 when the last tram ran in Liverpool.

    BTW, Kev, could we leave this thread with "Postcards" in the title, as the last one got merged with something else and faded away?
    Hi Philip

    Thanks for your informed opinion on the possible date of the postcard, Philip.

    I always thought that "Mann Island" and the "Pier Head" were one and the same but I am open to being corrected and to learn the difference. Maybe we need another thread on it.

    I also thought that the green trams in general were known as "Green Goddesses" so I am pleased to learn that, as you indicate, the name denoted a specific streamlined design of the 1930s.

    Also not sure what you are asking that we do re the title of the thread. Could you clarify? I believe someone, possibly you but I am not sure, had started an earlier thread on old postcards but I think it might have developed into a general views of Liverpool thread. I do think there is value on having a thread just devoted to postcard views.

    All the best

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Post War Liverpool
    By Bob Edwards in forum Bob Edwards' Liverpool Picture Book
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 08:55 PM
  2. Picture Post and Liverpool
    By Colin Wilkinson in forum Colin Wilkinson's Streets of Liverpool
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 07:47 PM
  3. Liverpool Post-war Development
    By Kev in forum Liverpool History and Heritage Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 03:30 PM
  4. Birthday Cards From The 1930`s/40`s
    By Gnomie in forum Liverpool History and Heritage Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-20-2006, 03:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68