Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brothers and sisters, can you help a 'newbie' ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Brothers and sisters, can you help a 'newbie' ?

Hi folks,I'm still finding my way around the forum and thought I'd try for some assistance with my genealogical research.I very foolishly commenced my family tree via the 'Gung Ho ' approach ( both my parents and in-laws) and rapidly came unstuck, also, as I'm unable at present to access the subscription sites for research, things have become bogged down somewhat.
    My limited research has provided ample threads to be going on with, and I know that I will ultimately have to get fully organised and subscribe to Ancestry etc., but any help from experienced members will be gratefully appreciated.
    It was my intention to sign off this missive with one of the amusing cartoon characters I see all around me, but these iconic emblems elude and evade me and taunt me from the margins and I must ,like brother Wiley Coyote, admit defeat. Ciao for now chaps.

Last edited by Red Tom; 10-29-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Good morning brer Tom.
    Things could be worse, you may find right off the bat that you are related to someone who is a member or who visits here as a guest, stranger things have happened.
    The most obvious thing to do would be to post here the full names and last known addresses of a couple of your forebears as some here have access to and practice in accessing census rolls and other data. Good luck.

Hi Tom,
    I have access to Ancestry.
    A good resource is www.ukbmd.org.uk which has links to a large number of family research sites - a lot of them free, such as
    www.freebmd.org.uk
    www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
    www.lan-opc.org.uk (lancashire online parish clerks project)
    and of course the mormons site - www.familysearch.org
    Good luck with your research and let me know if you want something looking up on Ancestry
    Tilly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tillymint2 View Post
    Hi Tom,
    A good resource is www.ukbmd.org.uk which has links to a large number of family research sites - a lot of them free, such as
    www.freebmd.org.uk
    www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
    Good luck with your research and let me know if you want something looking upon Ancestry
    Tilly
    Sister Tilly, I thank you for your kind and generous offer and will most definitely sling some names in your direction in the near future,I'll go through my stuff and find those which have priority.
    Take care Tilly and ta ta to you.
    ~ Red Tom ~

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Hi Tom,
    www.freebmd.org.uk
    www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
    Good luck with your research and let me know if you want something looking up on Ancestry
    Tilly

Thanks Tilly. I found my Grandmother's (Heron) family were all members of St. Peter's Church (no longer there) for generations.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Hi RoniJayne,
    I'm pleased to hear you found the web sites useful. I'm guessing Lan -Opc was the one that helped you find your family links with St Peters.
    Good luck with your research
    Tilly

Blog Entries

Hi Tom,
    www.freebmd.org.uk
    www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
    Tilly
    Sister Tilly, as threatened, I've dug up some of my ancestors ( in a strictly metaphorical sense of course) for your analysis,in the hope that you can draw forth your ferreting faculties and come up with the genealogical goods.
    I've previously indicated my gratitude for your help,and I don't wish to ask too much of you,however there are several leads I'm keen to follow.
    As I'm unfamiliar with these matters sister Tilly, I must ask how do we proceed?
    ~ Red Tom ~

Hi Brother Tom,
    If you're happy to post the details on here then just include them on your next message - if not then you can send me a private message by clicking on Tillymint2 at the top left of this message and then clicking the private message option. Any details in the message you then create and send will be sent only to me.
    Try to include as much as you know about the people you're interested in and what info you're hoping to get and I'll see what I can find for you.
    Regards
    Tilly

Blog Entries

Sister T, I've gone for one family branch to start with, I have included as much info as I have in order to help you as much as possible.
    Please see the attachement (a simple notepad document, which my youngest daughter aka my occasional ghost writer/ IT guru created)
    Hope this is will do.
    Thanks again!
    Tom.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~ Red Tom ~

Default Davies Family

Hi Tom,

I've attached a couple of files with some information for you on the Davies.
    Best Wishes
    TillyDavies Family Info.txtClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Davies in 1911.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	805.2 KB 
ID:	17688

Default Oooops ........

Didn't expect it would do that to the image so I've attached the info on it in a txt file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

Sister Tilly, I can't thank you enough, I have no idea how long it would have taken me to get this information and it is gratefully recieved.
    With regards to Thomas Davies, the name was mentioned to me while interrogating my wife's eldest surviving aunt, and as it had never been mentioned prior to this paticular question and answer session, I can't confirm the veracity of this yet.
    I can now flesh out this part of the puzzle. Regarding Anastasia Wall, she did exist, but the only info I have is those possible areas she supposedly resided at, I had previously thought the sisters had come over as young children, but this seems to be a misconception, and it is more likely now that they were much older,perhaps in their teens.
    Thanks again and ta ta to you sister T.
    ~ Red Tom ~

Default The Wall sisters?

Hi bro Tom,
    Glad you found the info useful. In your search for the Wall sisters you might also find this site helpful
    www.census.nationalarchives.ie
    as on it you can search the Irish census records for 1901 and 1911 for free.
    In 1911 there are only 3 people named Anastasia Wall in the whole of Ireland. None of them live or were born in Dublin but two also have a sister called Mary - the ones living in Queen's Co might be a poss as they are aged 9 and 8.
    However I came across something quite curious which might be of interest to you -
    In 1901 there are 5 Anastasia Walls but 4 of them are already older than 31.
    The girl aged 19 lives in Dublin. She is living in Shaws Cottages, Bath Close? with her husband William Wall and her sister Abbey KELLY ? so her maiden name is obviously Kelly too.
    In 1911 Anastasia is no longer listed and William now aged 29 is living in Shaw St ? with a second "wife" of only 3 years (Mary aged 28) and has two young daurs to her, Hester and Elizabeth.
    But also listed is a daughter, prob from his first marriage to Anastasia, Mary Wall aged (it says 11 but as she didn't appear on 1901 census may only be 10 which given the birth date you gave me 0f 18/06/1901 would fit - the census was taken 2nd April 1901 before Mary would have been born).
    So we have a Mary Wall - mothers maiden name KELLY and an Anastasia Wall who was her mother not her sister. I'm wondering could this perhaps be them with Anastasia having left her husband (not died) and gone to England with Mary her daur joining her later when old enough to also leave ...........?
    Tilly

Blog Entries

Angry

Sister T, your diligance is to be commended, 'm afraid I've only got the laptop for a couple of minutes so I'll digest this info in a more leisurely fashion tomorrow. owever, one quick point, my informant happened to mention that the sister of Catherine (1901) Anastasia, was named after her mother! I regret to say that I took this to be a false memory and disregarded this info as 'unsafe', I mean to say, Anastasia is hardly a common name, right?!
    I may be guilty of hampering your work, and if this turns out to be the case, my apologies.
    Ta ta to you T, Tom.
    ~ Red Tom ~

Blog Entries

Sister T, in the interests of clarity, allow me to try and get this right!- I was told at one point that the mother of Mary Catherine and Anastasia Wall was also named Anastasia!!, a fact that I in my infinite 'wisdom' chose to disregard as being erroneous, but in light of your last post, this may be of relevance after all.
    There's no fool like an old fool, eh?
    Tom.
    ~ Red Tom ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast