Thread: Top Secret Base in Liverpool?

Default Top Secret Base in Liverpool?

I know about the Western Approaches building but i have came across somthing else here.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread188582/pg1

IIRC I heard that when they were redoing the St James railway station they accidentally tunnelled through into a cavern that did not appear on any maps but turned out to be an under ground submarine pen used by the Royal Navy during ww2.

The accident lead to the station being closed for some time and plans for its expansion being abandoned (given that the military were not keen at sharing their secret bas with thousands of commuters)

Yes, there is another secret base but I don't know where it is.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sue_wilson View Post
    IIRC I heard that when they were redoing the St James railway station they accidentally tunnelled through into a cavern that did not appear on any maps but turned out to be an under ground submarine pen used by the Royal Navy during ww2.

The accident lead to the station being closed for some time and plans for its expansion being abandoned (given that the military were not keen at sharing their secret bas with thousands of commuters)
    I assume you mean James St. And also the loop line in the 1970s.

I find this undergound sub base rather far fetched. Built in WW2? And no one noticed? Mmmmm
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Chris48

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post

I find this undergound sub base rather far fetched. Built in WW2? And no one noticed? Mmmmm
    OK!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post

I was under the impression it was a natural cave that had been converted and it had not been used after ww2 rather than it was built then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sue_wilson View Post
    I was under the impression it was a natural cave that had been converted and it had not been used after ww2 rather than it was built then.
    The only caves in the centre are at at Copperas Hill - copper mines beneath. Huge caverns. They were blocked up permanently.

The pool was filled in in the early 1700s and James St was to the side of it. No natural caverns around there. The shore lipped St Nichs, so this cavern would be on the old forshore. Where would the subs enter? Not via Princes Dock or Canning Docks for sure.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

The only place I can think of slightly out of town is the Herculanium Dock with its casemates, but these have been well documented and I've never come across anything with that information for them.

On the same subject of secret bases in the city. Does anyone know what used to be in the field on the left ( I think) of Lydiate Lane in Halewood. Went down the railway track on my bike the other week and looking down to the left from the elevated old railway line into a field and seen some demolished buildings and further up the field, a concrete capped brick 'tube' sticking up that looked like the entrance to an underground chamber of some sort. Was this a sewage works, underground reservoir or something?
    Reminded me of descriptions of secret government underground bases in James herbert books like 'The Rats'
    Whatever it was seems to be quite cut off from everything around it and the field only seems accessable through what looked like a local substation with gates on the road side and a further set of locked gates that go into the field where the demolished buildings are.
    Sorry if you think this is in the wrong thread but ther secret base thing reminded me because my imagination ran a bit mads when I seen this place. Maybe it was the lack of oxygen to my brain from riding the bike so hard....
    thanks in advance for any info

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    On the same subject of secret bases in the city. Does anyone know what used to be in the field on the left ( I think) of Lydiate Lane in Halewood. Went down the railway track on my bike the other week and looking down to the left from the elevated old railway line into a field and seen some demolished buildings and further up the field, a concrete capped brick 'tube' sticking up that looked like the entrance to an underground chamber of some sort. Was this a sewage works, underground reservoir or something?
    Reminded me of descriptions of secret government underground bases in James herbert books like 'The Rats'
    Whatever it was seems to be quite cut off from everything around it and the field only seems accessable through what looked like a local substation with gates on the road side and a further set of locked gates that go into the field where the demolished buildings are.
    Sorry if you think this is in the wrong thread but ther secret base thing reminded me because my imagination ran a bit mads when I seen this place. Maybe it was the lack of oxygen to my brain from riding the bike so hard....
    thanks in advance for any info
    Funny you should mention that. I used to regularly shoot down the loop line from Childwall to Halewood and around the Halewood area, there is a patch of land on the right hand side of the loop line in which you can go through an underground tunnel. It's man made so it's not that old - bout 50ft long and about 5ft high. Never been able to find it since!

Anyone find out anything more about these doors going underground? Access to the mechanisms of the dock gates or something to do with the water levels?

Dave.