Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best-kept secrets of our city

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Discover Liverpool

Merseyside historian Ken Pye takes Tony Barrett on a tourist trail to discover the hidden Liverpool

Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo - THE Liver Buildings, St George’s Hall, Anfield and Goodison are Liverpool landmarks which are known all around the world and no self-respecting Liverpudlian needs telling about them.

But what about the alternative Liverpool, places that are slightly off the usual tourist track but are just as worthy of a visit?

Advertisements -------

Local historian Ken Pye, author of a new book called Discover Liverpool, has come up with a trail detailing some of the city’s hidden treasures especially for ECHO readers. continues.....

Of course Yo! Liverpool's members have been discussing stuff like this for ages!!!!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Buy Me A Coffee

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

theninesisters

Fantastic to read things like this when already I've come across two things that are untrue!

The steps in Wavertree weren't put there for people to mount their horse, it was an actual stile (sic?) that was put there a few hundred years ago.

The leper's window in Childwall can be found below (picture attached) and was never a confession window. It was there so the leper's could watch the service of the church from outside of the church.

Do people actually do correct research when they write a book or take it from other sources?

Attachment 2061
    Last edited by theninesisters; 04-26-2007 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks

Default Wavertree Mounting steps

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    Fantastic to read things like this when already I've come across two things that are untrue!

The steps in Wavertree weren't put there for people to mount their horse, it was an actual stile (sic?) that was put there a few hundred years ago.

Do people actually do correct research when they write a book or take it from other sources?

Attachment 2061
    Most recently published Liverpool local history research is derivative. I suppose it's possible however that the stile could also have been used as mounting steps to get onto your horse. It would be interesting to see whether the stile is shown on any old maps, eg the Wavertree field enclosure maps

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Become A Supporter 👇

Buy Me A Coffee

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post

The leper's window in Childwall can be found below (picture attached) and was never a confession window. It was there so the leper's could watch the service of the church from outside of the church.

Attachment 2061
    I always take local history with a pinch of salt and enjoy it all the more for doing so. Even when things are properly sourced there can be questions about the reliability of the source! I recently bought a book about Liverpool and its Envirions in 1796 by W. Moss. It has a great map of the town in 1797 (don't ask me why it's a year later). It's a good read but the author's prejudices sing through. How accurate is it? I don't know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast