Thread: Aigburth 1950s

Default Aigburth 1950s

I was wondering if anybody out there lived in Aigburth during the 1950s. I am particularly interested to hear from anybody who was a member of the CLB as my father was a member at that time. He also played in a local skiffle band at St.Annes called "Blue Ribbon" formerly the "Otters". Thoughts about them would also be very welcome.

Regards

Stewart

I did - if you merge Aigburth and Grassendale...

Help me out though, what was the CLB?

Church lads brigade, intended to be like the scouts but never succeeded. It was a C of E organization, I was a member when I attended St. Stephens Gateacre
    When the smoke has cleared and the bullets cease.another soldier rests in peace. The politicians who caused the fight, rest at home no danger in sight

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Church lads brigade, intended to be like the scouts but never succeeded. It was a C of E organization, I was a member when I attended St. Stephens Gateacre
    Thanks - no wonder I hadn't heard of it.

I went to St. Marys C of E on Aigburth road and they did (and still do, my nephews are in it) have a Boy Scout troop, so I guess no CLB there....

Was'nt this organisation just known as 'The Boys Brigade'? check this site.
    http://www.boys-brigade.org.uk/
    Last edited by Norm NZ; 10-09-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: addition!

I'm pretty sure they were separate organizations Norm.
    When the smoke has cleared and the bullets cease.another soldier rests in peace. The politicians who caused the fight, rest at home no danger in sight

Sorry its been so long in replying to the messages posted and thanks for your interest. I thought i'd clear up the queries regarding the CLB. for anyone who is interested, the following potted history sort of covers it I think

A man called Walter Mallock Gee founded the Church Lads' Brigade on November 11th, 1891, at St. Andrew's Church, Fulham, when an existing Boys' Brigade Company was 'merged' to form the first CLB. It grew quickly and was given Royal Patronage. Its first Governor and Commandant was Lord Chelmsford and its President was HRH The Duke of Connaught, who was later to fulfil the same role in Scouting. Queen Victoria inspected a Church Lads parade in 1896 at Osborne House on the Isle of Wight. Though the CLB does not have a high profile today, it would be a mistake to underestimate its strength in the first part of the twentieth century. Some indication of strength can be formed from the fact that the Church Lads' Brigade formed two battalions in the First World War and ex-Church Lads won a total of 22 VCs, in comparison to that of the Scout Association who had 150,000 ex-Scouts and Scoutmasters in the field but no named battalions, and a total of 11 VCs.

Sadly the Aigburth branch has since dispanded

Regards

Stewart

Thank's for the info Stewart, I share the same surname as Walter, so was interested in reading about the family, unfortunatly no connection, as they originate in Kent, and mine from Lancashire!! Nice read though, Thanks.