Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Liverpool Toffee Shops

Blog Entries

Default Old Liverpool Toffee Shops

These examples are just from London Road.

"Noblett's" was, I think, a competing toffee manufacturer to Molly Bushell of famed Everton Toffee. This photo is either London Road, or Pembroke Place? [courtesy of LRO]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noblett's.jpg 
Views:	4337 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	17442

Wignall's Toffee Shop, London Road, R.H. Wignall was the grandson of Molly Bushell, the original inventor of Everton Toffee [see advert below.]

[courtesy of LRO and Kev's post "Various London Road Images" http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...ht=london+road ]

Name:	Wignall`s toffee shop London Road. View of south side of toffee shop 1865.jpg 
Views:	1628 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	17443

Molly Bushell's Everton Toffee, 39 London Road [opp. the Odeon] and 169 West Derby Road, opposite the Zoological Gardens, [original Gore's Directory advert]

Name:	Everton Toffee London Road.jpg 
Views:	997 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	17441
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

The original advertising paintwork on the toffee shop, at the top of London rd,was partly revealed,some years ago! It was then a butchers shop,and the London rd development agency,had some idea of renovating, at least the frontage,but nothing was done! I haven't been past it recently,so I don't know it's condition now.

Blog Entries

Hi Steve,

Thanks for memory jog. I remember quincyg posted this series in the "Surviving Signage and Shop Adverts" thread. It looks like the same shop shown in the black & white photo above. Also London Road, I think?

Part of the word "Noblett's" can be seen, as well as "Improved Everton Toffee"

Photo credits to quincyg [see post thread below]
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...light=nobletts

Any idea where about in London Road this is, and what side?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Yeh,that's it,well done D! Any idea what it's like now.....still the same? I've been told that the old ?department store,a few doors up,has been demolished!(can't remember it's original name!)

Blog Entries

No sorry, I only remember it from quincyg's post. I haven't seen it up close myself? Looking at the B&W photo again, we could be looking up Greek Steet?

I think Noblett's and Wignall's were competing against each other for the Everton Toffee business?

Looking behind the George 3rd monument on this pic',you can make out the name "Colliers" which sounds familiar,though the building is different.The toffee shop was on that line of shops.Greek st,is further up on the left!

photo courtesy of L.R.O.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEORGE III 1921.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	17463  
    Last edited by wsteve55; 10-09-2010 at 01:38 AM. Reason: ADDITION

Blog Entries

Here's a Google Streetview snapshot.

Name:	Nobletts Streetview.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	17464

Noblett's was at 108 London Road. Wignall's Toffee Shop [their rival] was at 39 London Road, on the opposite side of the road, opposite where the Odeon is today.

Cosher butchers,Jewish buisness early 1900's or even earlier,wonder why they're leaving it in a dillapidated condition?

This ones London Rd,anyone know where their second shop was.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 479.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	510.8 KB 
ID:	17465  

Blog Entries

Good post Daz.

Who painted the second picture dazza?

Blog Entries

Thanks fortinian,

The second picture is originally from Kev's post "Various London Road Images" http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...ht=london+road ] and is courtesy of LRO.

Unfortunatly no artist is given, but it is dated 1865. William Herdman was prolific then, but it's not as sharp as his other subjects, maybe it's his father WG Herdman instead?

Daz

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Cosher butchers,Jewish buisness early 1900's or even earlier,wonder why they're leaving it in a dillapidated condition?
    Yes, it is a pity George. Often council's sponsor an accepted method of bribery to sort out their conservation work. They'll give planning permission on a site, provided the developer restores x, y & z.

It's dangling the carrot of planning consent over completing conservation work amongst other things. The problem with this is that site can lie idle for years and years, whilst the council sits on it's thumbs.

I think they should be more proactive and lead the restoration. The duty of looking after the city's heritage should be theirs, or the governments.

I'm led to believe that the other Galkoffs butchers was behind Lime Street somewhere? can't find it meself,I did find an interesting piece of iron plate flap on the back off a building and for the life of me wondered what the hell it was? as its halfway upthe wall and most peculiar.

Galkoff's has it's own website,haven't looked through it,but maybe the info's there?

http://galkoffs.tripod.com/

66 Brownlow Hill,well fruitless me looking now as the NCP car park will be on the spot?

Blog Entries

Everton Toffee Shop reinstated.

A slightly different perspective, but as close as I can get it. The upper party-wall of the Toffee Shop [second chimney from left] is roughly where the present day yellow stone wall and fencing is located [see map below also]. That places the site over Netherfield Road South pavement and partially over the road.

If you're looking for the cause of bad teeth in Victorian Liverpool, look no further than this site.

Satellite view and 1850 map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast