grade 2 listed building....It was opened in 1874 by the architect sir Alfred Waterhouse on behalf of the liverpool seamans orphan institution to provide a place for children who had lost their families at sea.
Separate wings for boys & girls but shared facilties,hospital & classrooms.
All orphans were taught reading & writing in addition girls learnt knitting & needlework & the boys were instructed in carpentry.
During ww2 orphans were evacuated to Frankby,Wirral but returned to Newsham in 1948.
The orphange closed in 1949,after standing derelict for 2 yrs it was finally purchased by the ministry of health and became a hospital in the newly formed nhs.
The hospital eventually closed in 1988 & the site has been derelict ever since,gradually falling victim to the elements & vandalism.
Some old pics..
girls room or maybe hospital part..
Newsham orphange chapel 1895...
unsure what year it was pulled down though!!
orphans making boots 1895