Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rag Day 1936

The planned events for 1966 as described in a Guild Gazette column -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panto-1966-2--001.jpg 
Views:	994 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	23566

Not a bad line up for the time with Gerry and the Pacemakers, the Hollies and The Who at multiple events. In those days big time national groups would play regional weekend events and be affordable.

The ballroom locations are also quoted.

One of the great stunts was a group of Medical Students running through town with a student in a hospital bed and the ones pushing the bed dressed as doctors in white coats and lots of offal being thrown around livers and hearts etc so lots of screaming from onlookers. There was also a pram race one student in the pram one pushing which ended in chaos at the bottom of Bold St. and I think one of the reasons for stopping this great fund raising event was the infamous pub crawl when the students tried to visit as many pubs on a designated list and drink them dry around Liverpool 8. The Cracke Phil, Augustus John, Blackburn etc all made a donation. Strated about 10 in the morning and went on until closing time which used to be 10pm in those days.
    They also kidnapped a few people and held them to ransom you had to make a donation to get them released more famous the more money you had to pay- we held off getting the boss released for as long as we decently could. The students would just run in and whizz someone off,all over in a couple of minutes.Panto Ball I went to had Bonzo Dog Doda Band with Viv Whathisname and I am sure George Melly had something at the Royal Court another year.

Quote Originally Posted by Doris Mousdale View Post
    ....I think one of the reasons for stopping this great fund raising event was the infamous pub crawl when the students tried to visit as many pubs on a designated list and drink them dry around Liverpool 8. The Cracke Phil, Augustus John, Blackburn etc all made a donation. Strated about 10 in the morning and went on until closing time which used to be 10pm in those days.
    I remember two events, one was the Engineers Beer Race - a set course of of around 2 miles and about 8 pubs. Timed event, with a minimum time in each pub and time subtracted of your total time for each pint drunk after the first one at each pub. To make it trickier it was a partners race and you had to enter and leave each pub with your race partner - towards the end the less drunk one had to carry the other to the last pubs...

Scoring was difficult beacuse the score keepers kept consuming beer at ther respective pub and couldn't read their writing...

A separate event was the "drink the pub dry" and we actually did it one night by picking a small pub the day before their delivery. I think it was a little pub on Mulberry St. - does that sound right?

They were also paid NOT to visit some pubs. Free cheese and onion crusty cobs to soak up the beer at the Cracke and I remember Jimmy Moore at O'Connors getting in a pile of kebabs from the Greek restaurant by the police station( Georges?) and shutting the doors at 3pm and having a stay behind until 5.30 and then it all went off again. 10pm and it was STILL light when you came out the pub.Record keeping was rubbish but I remember one young student having 22 Manns Browns ( bottles)
    School of Tropical Medicine had some weird events too

Hello Doris

You are thinking of Vivian Stanshall, the singer with Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. Great memories... thanks!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Yes Chris,they played at one of the college dances.We lived in Liverpool 8 for years. Cathedral Mansions in Huskisson St.

I worked on the refurb of Cathedral Mansions about 20 years ago.

Some great reminiscences there! A bit before my time,but know some of the names, and places,especially Jimmy Moore,and the "Kebab House"!

We used to have collection of Rag mags - but not now. Must have eventually got rid of them in a clear out.

I had a collec....oh sorry, rag mags you said didn't you
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I had a collec....oh sorry, rag mags you said didn't you
    Knowing you I bet your collection is stuck somewhere

They've been added to since you brought a load down to the meet up
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
    I worked on the refurb of Cathedral Mansions about 20 years ago.
    what is it like now?
    When we were there Rod Jones a friend of John Lennon's lived at 2, the professor from Liverpool University who was shot in a Texas University lived at number 4 Roger McGough at 6 us at 8 and Maurice Cockrill the painter at 10 and Quentin Hughes the architect who wrote the book Seaport lived at 12 - he had a green Aston Martin BTW
    The caretaker, Mr Wartinski, who lived in the basement with his wife used to keep the boiler going to keep us all in hot water,the basement rooms ran under all of the houses like a rabbit warren.The garden at the back was shared but it was miles from the living room to the kitchen.The rooms were huge with very high ceilings. The landlord who owned the whole block was Mr Hands he lived down Ullet Road but took great interest in his tenants- very different now I would imagine. It was all very cool being so close to the university and Art College,town and of course the pubs.Interesting when it was throwing out time at the pub in Little St Bride St and the grocery shop around the corner with the Somali Social Club in the basement.Across the way in Gambier Terrace and Percy St. were lots more interesting locals a good mixed community.

Was Rod Jones an art lecturer ?

Found my copy of the '76 ragmag......hard to believe it was so long ago!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File0111.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	7.07 MB 
ID:	23591  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast