Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Proper Maintenance

Angry Lack of Proper Maintenance

There is one thing that really concerns me about this city more than most other things, the lack of maintenance and general scruffyness of quite large areas of the city.
    Things like bent and rusted railings, litter, rubbish paving, overgrown and muddy verges and general dirt are all too common in alot of areas. There seems to be a genuine lack of care when looking after areas outside the city centre with signs and railings etc just being thrown up. Things like railings are put up and left for years till they end up needing to be replaced again. There seems to be no effort or attention to detail by the council. It would be nice to see the council just going around sprucing areas up by planting trees, cleaning the pavements etc etc.
    Some areas a simply depressing to walk around and make you feel ashamed. I have contacted Warren Bradley and the Have Your Say team a couple of times regarding this issue and they have assured me that improvements are being made which I do agree with but we are still way behind other cities. I think too many people just accept it as the norm and its about time it stopped. People need to start tackling this issue as in the long run it will improve quality of life for alot of people and it will ensure Liverpool is sending out the right message to visitors.

theninesisters

Totally agree there - you only have to go down the cycle track to see what a mess it is - imagine if it was actually properly tarmacced, sign posts and area's in which you could picnic. When you get to the Halewood triangle, unless you know the area well, you wouldn't want to venture down the area towards Halewood Station.

Blog Entries

It cetainly doesn't compare with the techniques of engineers and builders from our glorious past, is it a case of too many agencies too quick to pass on responsibility to someone else?

I can't complain having lived around plenty of derelict wastelands for most of my childhood.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I was doing a shoot the other day at 7am by Cream and a road cleaning machine came along with 2 people who were picking up litter. I guess you need it in that part of town but I was impressed that they were doing it.

Round the town centre they do lots of cleaning in the early hours. Lots of it could easily be avoided. They should fine people for dropping litter.

Its a shame to see how grubby Hope St looks already with blobs of chewy all over the new paving. People just don't care about their surroundings

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Round the town centre they do lots of cleaning in the early hours. Lots of it could easily be avoided. They should fine people for dropping litter.
    They used to do that. I worked for the Liverpool Corporation Cleansing Department in 1967 as a summer job in the old police building on Dale Street. There was a Mr. Gadd who was head of the department who was always fining people for littering.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Unhappy

The people of Liverpool need to start respecting their city and taking pride in what they have got. I hate it when the council spend millions improving an area only for LOCAL PEOPLE to wreck it with litter, graffiti and chewy. There is no excuse for this lazyness and blatant don't care attitude. People need to start tackling these issues and voicing their concern to local councillors etc.
    It's amazing what you can find out when you start asking. I have recently learned that the loop line bridges such as the one in norris green are to be cleaned and repainted, and when I raised concerns with my local councillor about the litter in my area, she contacted the local area manager who arranged a patrol for the area a few days later. Since then I have noticed the council cleaning the area more often.
    We live in a democracy which gives us the right to ask questions and put pressure on the people who can change things. If enough people start taking pride in their local area then things can only get better.

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Yes city center a high profile daytime area, but what about normal roads ?
    As for fining people, great in theory, but getting them to pay,that is another
    matter.

[QUOTE=AK1;48218]
    It's amazing what you can find out when you start asking. I have recently learned that the loop line bridges such as the one in norris green are to be cleaned and repainted, QUOTE]

Sustrans vans can be seen in that area regularly.The last 2 or 3 times I've been on the loop I've seen them.

PhilipG

Park Road and Aigburth Road are kept clean, both by the road-sweeping vehicle and people on foot.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    The planting scheme in the Speke area has matured nicely. However with the constant road works and digging up of the area, much of what has been planted and then dug up has not been replaced. So in typical Liverpool fashion, it's starting to look very tatty again. I'm astonished that the City council don't enforce replanting schemes on these various contractors once they have completed their roadworks etc.
    I have actually been informed by the council that they are currently working on a management plan for the Speak Boulevard area. All street maintenance was handed over to Enterprise a few months ago and they are now responsible for this area. Hopefully they will get started sooner rather than later.

I don't think it's a problem confined to Liverpool or worse in Liverpool than other British cities as anyone who knows London will confirm. Where Liverpool is arguably different (and worse) is in its attitude to decent buiildings (residential and commercial) that are allowed to fall apart very slowly and very publicly. This leads to entire areas being seen as run down whereas in reality they are probably not as bad as they first seem.

Just took a quick stroll along Church St and already the new paving looks messy, whats the point of spending so much money sprucing the place up if it is not maintained thereafter. By the time the Ribbon of Life is finished half the street will be covered in gum and soda stains.

Quote Originally Posted by Artie Fufkin View Post
    Just took a quick stroll along Church St and already the new paving looks messy, whats the point of spending so much money sprucing the place up if it is not maintained thereafter. By the time the Ribbon of Life is finished half the street will be covered in gum and soda stains.
    It is up to the people to try and look after this fair city of Liverpool. Should be easy enough to place a piece of used 'gum' in paper and put it in a bin.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast