Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: Wonderful photo of St. Georges Place, Lime St., Liverpool, 1961

  1. #1
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default Wonderful photo of St. Georges Place, Lime St., Liverpool, 1961

    It's not one of mine, but I want to share it.
    IMHO I consider it one of the best photos of Liverpool of all time.

    Advertisements -------

    Click on "All sizes" for the large view.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2...-60302053@N00/

  2. #2
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    Great picture Philip

    I love it. never seen it like that before.

  3. #3
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,488
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Nope, me niether, a fab photo. Looks so clean and shiny
    Become A Supporter 👇


    Buy Me A Coffee




    Donate Via PayPal


    Donate


  4. #4
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I remember vaguely when the North Western Hotel in Lime st was a cafe/bar and my dad would call into John Menzies in the station to get his month encyclopedia suppliment, I ssume it would be around 1973 ish then he would take me into the cafe and he'd have a pint and get me a carton of orange and I remember looking at the blue neon Embassy cigarette sign that would go out then illuminate in sections from one side to the other until fully lit then go back out again and continually repeat but I can't picture where the sign would have been because the new St. John's would have been built by then, I wonder if it was somewhere opposite by Concourse house but then would I have seen it from the station windows - probably not - Help!
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    It's not one of mine, but I want to share it.
    IMHO I consider it one of the best photos of Liverpool of all time.

    Click on "All sizes" for the large view.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2...-60302053@N00/
    Hi Philip

    Great photograph, Philip. A reminder of a part of Liverpool that has disappeared. Our neon counterpart to Times Square in New York or Piccadilly Circus in London. Thanks for sharing this old photo with us.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  6. #6
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I remember vaguely when the North Western Hotel in Lime st was a cafe/bar and my dad would call into John Menzies in the station to get his month encyclopedia suppliment, I ssume it would be around 1973 ish then he would take me into the cafe and he'd have a pint and get me a carton of orange and I remember looking at the blue neon Embassy cigarette sign that would go out then illuminate in sections from one side to the other until fully lit then go back out again and continually repeat but I can't picture where the sign would have been because the new St. John's would have been built by then, I wonder if it was somewhere opposite by Concourse house but then would I have seen it from the station windows - probably not - Help!
    There used to be a Capstan neon sign on the Crown Hotel.
    Would it be possible that it was changed to Embassy?
    I remember when Embassy cigs came out, about 1966 or thereabouts.
    I used to smoke them.

  7. #7
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    It's not one of mine, but I want to share it.
    IMHO I consider it one of the best photos of Liverpool of all time.

    Click on "All sizes" for the large view.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2...-60302053@N00/
    Couldn't agree more Phil.I know what I'd rather look at.
    Taken 3 weeks ago.


  8. #8
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    There used to be a Capstan neon sign on the Crown Hotel.
    Would it be possible that it was changed to Embassy?
    I remember when Embassy cigs came out, about 1966 or thereabouts.
    I used to smoke them.
    Park Drive man meself

  9. #9
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Thanks Phil because I was thinking of the shop frontage by the punch and judy when I typed 'by concourse house' but it was higher up so it fits with The Crown that it could have been that and I might be thinking I watched it from the window but I might've just seen it en route to the station from Blacklers or Lewis's - two places my dad was never out of at the weekend (with me in tow) - bargain basement/household gadgets that you bought and only used once or never used at all.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  10. #10
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Thanks Phil because I was thinking of the shop frontage by the punch and judy when I typed 'by concourse house' but it was higher up so it fits with The Crown that it could have been that and I might be thinking I watched it from the window but I might've just seen it en route to the station from Blacklers or Lewis's - two places my dad was never out of at the weekend (with me in tow) - bargain basement/household gadgets that you bought and only used once or never used at all.

    I remember that flashin' thingy..On the wall of the Pub on the Lime St side...Looked great from outside Blackler's..sure I've got a piccie somewhere.

  11. #11
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Ooh that'd be good Gerard. A video of it going on and off would be better though, any chance?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  12. #12
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Ooh that'd be good Gerard. A video of it going on and off would be better though, any chance?
    Is there one still there Ged ?..I'll vid it for yer Lad if there Is and put in on Utube..."Lime St at Night"..Sound's good t' me.

  13. #13
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    He's been taking photos for over 50 years.
    This is a recent one of his.

    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2450723&size=l

  14. #14
    Senior Member steveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    445
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    That is some photo
    nice to see the ABC Forum.
    Last edited by steveb; 03-27-2007 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling

  15. #15
    Senior Member The Gardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Great Pic Phil, it is the first time I have seen it in colour. Another example of where the town planners of the 60's got it wrong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. St George’s Place/Lime Street
    By Colin Wilkinson in forum Colin Wilkinson's Streets of Liverpool
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
  2. st.georges place 1961
    By gregs dad in forum Misc. Old Photographs & Images of Liverpool
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 03:15 AM
  3. st. georges place 2007
    By gregs dad in forum Liverpool Streets and Areas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 04:15 PM
  4. Another Wonderful photo of St. Georges Place, Lime St., Liverpool, 1961
    By scouserdave in forum Liverpool City Center Architecture
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-28-2007, 12:49 PM
  5. Wonderful photo of London Road, Liverpool, 1961'ish
    By scouserdave in forum Liverpool City Center Architecture
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2007, 10:46 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68