Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Dock

The area around the Dock is getting ready for some filming. I'd guess it is the new Sherlock Holmes movie:
    In frame for star role - Liverpool Echo.co.uk

[IMG][/IMG]
    The film crews vehicles in the Clarence
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I was around the Stanley dock today came across these large doors on the Clarence entrance and a new firm in town, I presume its for the film and the catering firm arrived while I was there. Saltney St was covered in a silt like what is outside the Clarence in the photo
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Blog Entries

What's with the green patch GD?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I think it`s to stop nosey people, like me looking in, as it looks like a sheet of plywood painted. You can see it in the top pic from behind
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

It may be green screen, so they can add the picture they want there later.

Chroma key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John
    Last edited by danensis; 11-18-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Default Before the Heritage Market

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post

In the winter sunshine
    Great photo gregs dad
    My Mum & Dad ran the A1 at LLOYDS pub at the bottom of Lightbody St from 1961 to 1979 which was to the right of the photo

Once a blue always a blue

Blog Entries

Hi Snapple, what one thing? Lost me on that one. Great that they're being saved. Are they filling in another dock? Maybe I got that wrong. Don't think we need more docks filling in.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Hi Snapple, what one thing? Lost me on that one. Great that they're being saved. Are they filling in another dock? Maybe I got that wrong. Don't think we need more docks filling in.
    Snapple ain't been around for a fair while so ya might not get a reply. U'll deffo get on well with waterways coz I think he's made one or two comments against the dock filling

Blog Entries

Docks as flood protection:

Many of Liverpool's docks have been partially filled in to make shallow canalboat ways - a mill town development totally out of kilter with Liverpool. This precludes deep water ships contrary to the UNESCO World Heritage Site.

These docks should be deepened ASAP, and many other docks excavated: Harrington, Toxteth, the full length of Trafalgar, etc. The reasons are many, practical, safety and beneficial to the city's attractive water based future:

1. To get deep water ships back in the city centre (the historic ship collection at Birkenhead could not be accommodated in Liverpool).
    2. Extend the Liverpool waterways to make an attractive water based city.
    3. The docks are an overspill in case the Mersey lips over on the river wall, the river locks could lower to allow the surplus water to enter the empty dock basins. protecting the city beyond. This means opening up disused river locks such as at: Princes Half-Tide Dock, the larger lock at Brunswick Dock which will also allow ships into the docks once again. When high tides are expected, the river locks can be opened and closed at low tide creating a vast near empty basin, for flood water to enter if it lips on the riverwall. The Pier Head has the new canal to act as a drain for water pouring over the riverwall. The Pier Head has been flooded in the recent past.

Or, the Mersey Barrage should be built ASAP to:

• Keep the river at high water for leisure and other commercial purposes
    • Generate green electricity.
    • Act as anti-flood measures. The London barrier closes at low tide when very high tides are expected and there is a flood alert, so if there is any surges running down the Thames estuary, the gates are opened slightly so the water runs into an empty Thames river beyond the barrier. This gives the city enough time before the tide recedes and the danger alleviated.

A Mersey barrage needs a barrage at Bidston to prevent water running across the Wirral from Moreton into the Mersey via Birkenhead Docks. This is easy as there is already a motorway embankment. If a new one needs to be built it can take a new Merseyrail line.

This foolishness of partially and fully filling docks will backfire on the city. The sooner the filled in docks are excavated back to full depths and those reduced in depth reinstated to full depth, the better for all in many, many ways.
    -------------------------------

More on dock filling - Click here
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Whilst I agree with your sentiments of the folly of filling in / reducing the depth of water in the docks I don't think a barrage is a good idea, unless located upstream of the Pier Head area.

Do you realise the serious effect that could have on scheduled shipping services, in particular passenger services to Douglas / Dublin / Belfast and cruise ships?

If down stream of Pier Head an extra set of locks would be required which could add 20 to 30 minutes to any schedule.

John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irishseashipping.com View Post
    Whilst I agree with your sentiments of the folly of filling in / reducing the depth of water in the docks I don't think a barrage is a good idea, unless located upstream of the Pier Head area.

Do you realise the serious effect that could have on scheduled shipping services, in particular passenger services to Douglas / Dublin / Belfast and cruise ships?

If down stream of Pier Head an extra set of locks would be required which could add 20 to 30 minutes to any schedule.

John
    John, ferry services can be berthed on the Liverpool Bay side of a New Brighton-Bootle barrage, coming and going at will. Maybe a small harbour wall type of arrangement. The cruise ships can be scheduled to enter a ship lock - not a great thing - at almost any stage of the tide as the barrage will be at the beginning of the Crosby Channel. Dredging of the river will be a rare event keeping the river nice and deep - great for leisure craft. Large tankers can enter only at high tide, as they do via a large barrage gate, not a lock - they just sail through. Or tankers berth at a pier on the Liverpool Bay side of the barrage. Seaforth Dock can have a lock directly into Liverpool Bay by-passing the locked in river.

A barrage ideally can have a rapid transit station for foot passengers on it, although foot passengers are not taken from 12 quays. The barrage can offer another river crossing for rapid-transit Merseyrail.

Before a barrage is built - if ever - the docks must be deepened and in-filled docks excavated to prevent the city flooding. Morpeth and Edgerton Docks at Birkenhead must be reconnected to the East Float to give more water holding acreage in case of flood conditions.

In cases of excessive high-tide flood emergencies, the docks are left to a minimum level at low tide and act as the overspill before the tide recedes - as does the Thames barrier.

Parts of the far north end docks have also been in-filled. The provision the reclaimed land provides can be provided from adjacent land. The city needs ALL docks excavated and deepened to save it from floods. To do so is cheap - OK maybe new designed lock gates that are controlled from a central point to allow water to enter in measures rather than lip over the river wall. Not to do so can result in catastrophe. The Pier Head has flooded a few times and water levels are rising.

The city has to do this ASAP
    Last edited by Waterways; 07-26-2009 at 10:49 AM.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Waterways, well said. couldn't agree more. Great pictures guys. Never ceased to be amazed. well done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irishseashipping.com View Post
    I don't think a barrage is a good idea, unless located upstream of the Pier Head area.
    John, a barrage upstream of the Pier Head will not protect the city from flood.

Otherwise we may have this:

how it once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    John, a barrage upstream of the Pier Head will not protect the city from flood.

Otherwise we may have this:
    Well, we don't care if London gets flooded

The only good reason for the barrier is if it stops the ships going down the manc ship canal and they start using our ports instead.

It might not seem like much, but I reckon part of the attraction of cruise liners coming here is travelling up the Mersey with the liver building coming into view and docking pretty much within a few minutes of the city centre.

Docking in Bootle wouldn't have the same appeal, the waterfront is not as nice plus it's alot further to travel to get into liverpool... Unless, of course, they put a tram line in

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    Well, we don't care if London gets flooded
    Good sentiment, but that is what we will have if nothing is done, and the docks are a perfect already in place barrier, that can be fully effective if the docks are deepened and excavated - a cheap undertaking.

The only good reason for the barrier is if it stops the ships going down the manc ship canal and they start using our ports instead.
    The "only" reason? It will:

• Stop the Mersey estuary flooding,
    • Generate clean electricity, although that can be done better elsewhere, as the river levels would rise and fall.
    • Create a still water leisure boating area
    • Eliminate the expensive floating landing stage
    • Eliminate river lock gates - boats can sail the Mersey and in and out the dock water at will.
    • Create a rail river crossing
    • Create a leisure facility on the barrage
    • Etc

Few ships go further than Runcorn on the Manchester ship canal - about two a week. This is a much underused waterway, where companies can have their own berths on the canal, which is in effect a 36 mile long dock. There is talk of Port Warrington. Peel do not promote/sell this canal as they should. Ocean going vessels can sail 46 miles from the sea.

It might not seem like much, but I reckon part of the attraction of cruise liners coming here is travelling up the Mersey with the liver building coming into view and docking pretty much within a few minutes of the city centre.
    A barrage will not stop that, no one said a cruise liner would dock in Bootle.
    Last edited by Waterways; 07-26-2009 at 10:56 AM.

how it once was?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast