Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Dock

Blog Entries

Default Stanley Dock

AMBITIOUS plans have been unveiled for a multi-million pound redevelopment of Stanley Dock.

The scheme includes digging out the centre of the Tobacco Warehouse to create a garden-filled courtyard surrounded by apartments.

More than 930 apartments will be built in the three warehouses on the site, with 650 duplexes in the 13-storey Tobacco Warehouse itself.

Reflective sails will be installed on the side of the dock to shine extra light on to the side of the giant warehouse, whose lower floors will become car parking for hundreds of vehicles.

The development, due to start in late 2008 or early 2009, will take seven years to complete.

But the regeneration scheme will mean the end of the heritage market on the Stanley Dock site.

Plans were submitted to the city council last Friday and revealed at yesterday’s Liverpool ECHO Stop the Rot campaign meeting.

Architect Howard Carter, from London-based Thinking Space Architects, said: “It’s a comprehensive redevelopment of the complex.

“The north and south warehouse proposals are similar. We’ll remove some of the later additions at roof level, and return the buildings to their original form.

“The area of the south warehouse closest to the Tobacco Warehouse will be offices and the other end will be accommodation.

“The Tobacco Warehouse itself is a challenging building. Just the sheer size of it is an enormous logistical issue.

“It’s 160ft from window to window and the ceiling height is only 7ft, it’s very deep and very shallow.

“We’re going to take the core out of the building and create at central courtyard with gardens.”

Some apartments will be a duplex with a two-storey high living area. The windows will also be enlarged.

One-bedroom flats will surround the courtyard, while the building will also have 372 two-bedroom apartments and 53 three-bedroom flats.

Offices, shops and restaurants are also included in the plans.

Peter de Figueiredo, of English Heritage, said: “We’ve been quite closely involved in discussions with the architects and agents.

“The north and south warehouse schemes are very sympathetic. The Tobacco Warehouse requires a lot more intervention and change to make it usable.”

Stop the Rot forum chairman, the Bishop of Liverpool, the Rt Rev James Jones, said: “I welcome this development and it’s good to see them bringing in both work units and residential.”

catherinejones@liverpoolecho.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

This is fantastic news,how long have we waited for that?That's made my day that has,this is the knock on effect of Peels plans this.

Talking

This is great news! This is yet another example of how our redevelopment will continue far beyond 2008. This is a fantastic proposal and it's great to see that EH are backing it aswell. It's great to see that more and more organisations are showing great faith and confidence in our city. This will be a massive project which will require some amazing feets of engineering to make it happen!

Gnomie

Im glad the buildings are being saved, but who will live there? who will be able to afford it? outsiders?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Im glad the buildings are being saved, but who will live there? who will be able to afford it? outsiders?
    Yes they will be expensive and there will be outsiders living there, but that's what any city needs. We need people from 'outside' to live here to boost our population and economy. There will also be local people living there, we do have well off local people aswell.
    Then again, maybe some of them will be shared ownership and other similair projects aimed at first time buyers. We will have to wait and see.

Gnomie

we could all buy one between us and share it.

snoochie boochie

Probably a crowd of them eastern folk, who swindle all our cash points. there very popular round here at the moment.

Gnomie

Im glad its been saved, imagine if that was gone.

I do hope they keep the floating restaurants from the original plans,barges were able to moor up along side them,it looked brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand this. Why can't local people afford it? There are plenty of people living in Liverpool who could buy or rent properties in the building. I don't see the logic there - sorry.

As far as the buildings go, it's great news. Personally I'd love it to stay as it is, but we all know that's not logical. The most important thing is that the warehouses structures will be preserved for decades to come. Imagine they'd been demolished like so many others! Obviously the grain silo will be demolished, but that's not exactly historic. I just hope they preserve the remains of the pumping station at the river end of the dock.

The Heritage Market will no doubt locate, but I don't care as it's a filthy mess anyway (sorry...) and was only ever good for one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I do hope they keep the floating restaurants from the original plans,barges were able to moor up along side them,it looked brilliant.
    I think there are some on the image above, next to the northern warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    I think there are some on the image above, next to the northern warehouse.
    I'm not sure if that's the old image they've used there though,I'm inclined to think that it is,still I can't see why they wont with the new canal link already underway.

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand this. Why can't local people afford it? There are plenty of people living in Liverpool who could buy or rent properties in the building. I don't see the logic there - sorry.

As far as the buildings go, it's great news. Personally I'd love it to stay as it is, but we all know that's not logical. The most important thing is that the warehouses structures will be preserved for decades to come. Imagine they'd been demolished like so many others! Obviously the grain silo will be demolished, but that's not exactly historic. I just hope they preserve the remains of the pumping station at the river end of the dock.

The Heritage Market will no doubt locate, but I don't care as it's a filthy mess anyway (sorry...) and was only ever good for one thing.

I know Liverpool people can afford it. but it brings so many outsiders who dont want to mix with the locals. i think it pushes local people further out of the city center. still who am i to complain im just a local looking to get out of this city that is changing for the worse for my liking.

We might see some people who have had to move away from liverpool to find jobs moving back

My Family and many people i know always say liverpool suffers becuase there arnt enough jobs here, so the young ones like me always move away. It's True!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dups45 View Post
    We might see some people who have had to move away from liverpool to find jobs moving back

My Family and many people i know always say liverpool suffers becuase there arnt enough jobs here, so the young ones like me always move away. It's True!
    Many many ordinary people who moved away from Liverpool during the 80's are trying to move back but they are finding it extremely difficult.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast