Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Dock

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The idea is for the atmospheric feel of a Portobello Road or Camden, London market stall area.

I''ve only ever gone In there to look for toilets.

Not much of a fan of Market Stalls.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Stanley Dock

In the winter sunshine
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Blog Entries

Default Stanley Dock Heritage Market

Stanley Dock Heritage Market

LIVERPOOL’S Heritage Market is to be relaunched.

The future of the market at Stanley Dock was plunged into doubt last year after a row about counterfeit goods resulted in plummeting visitor numbers.

About 180 stallholders signed a petition calling for council support in their bid to become part of a long term plan to refurbish Stanley Dock.

The heritage market briefly closed last summer when it emerged owner Kitgrove was being threatened with prosecution by the council if it did not tackle counterfeiting.

But operator NW1 went to court and won an injunction to keep the market open until the end of its lease in 2009.

The market relaunch will be marked with a family fun day on Sunday, May 4. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I''ve only ever gone In there to look for toilets.

Not much of a fan of Market Stalls.

Ha ha, must have wandered a bit out of your way then mate - where was your starting point and did your leg get warm en route (or worse )
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I traded in there for about 4 years up untill three weeks ago as a way to top up business ( no blag gear BTW)
    One of the reasons for the decline as I believe it was a concerted effort by LCC to close it down for redevelopment by using methods of attrition. In January 07, twelve raids were carried out by trading standards in as many weeks, at first it was the blatant counterfeiters that were hit ( Fair enough ) but in the latter weeks genuine stuff was being confiscated for 'further inspections' to be returned weeks later, it was becoming so bad that honest traders were being concerned that wholesalers were duping them with less than genuine stock. TS were becoming realy pedant. Then one week in May the papers gave front page news ( AXED ) about the impending closure and announced its re-opening the following week in a small paragraph on an inner page, the damage done !! The trade fell dramatically overnight and never really picked up. I popped in last Sunday to find it pretty dead.
    Unfortunately the less than diplomatic attitude of some of NW one's management also did little to help matters as well as rumoured / alleged 'debts' to various advertisers including radio stations. ( Which might explain the papers unwillingness to make a front page retraction of the 'AXED news. )
    Adopted Scouser. Entrenched in the bastilles of Hanover Street www.rojeans.co.uk

Glad you're highlighting it Adam. Us casual shoppers and browsers wouldn't know otherwise of the spurious goings on. Ron Formby of www.scottiepress.org flags up the heritage market on his vauxhall tours and on his site and in his community newspaper. Maybe he should know of things like this as it seems he knows of the organisers of the market.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Glad you're highlighting it Adam. Us casual shoppers and browsers wouldn't know otherwise of the spurious goings on. Ron Formby of www.scottiepress.org flags up the heritage market on his vauxhall tours and on his site and in his community newspaper. Maybe he should know of things like this as it seems he knows of the organisers of the market.
    Thanks, if you know the chap perhaps you could flag the May 4th event to him?
    Personally I'm quite saddened by the whole affair, my late Mum loved it when she came up here in the 90s. In my early days there and as one of the first traders in the new 'S1' as it is known, I was doing very well and needed an assistant to help keep up with the demand for my wares, later last year I could quite hapily ( Not ) take a stroll around the market with the knowledge that no one was around to purchase diddly squat from me.

I realy hope the re-launch goes well, if so, I'll return as a trader, all be it with something else that's unique.
    Adopted Scouser. Entrenched in the bastilles of Hanover Street www.rojeans.co.uk

Default Back in

Well folks, I'm giving at another go on a trial bases from the 4th. I'll be in the main food hall. ( Beats 5 am starts at other venues )

Blog Entries

AMBITIOUS plans to redevelop Liverpool’s Stanley Dock are expected to get the go-ahead from the council next week. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Stanley Dock scheme gets the go-ahead

STANLEY DOCK will see renovation work start at the beginning of 2009, the owner’s agents said last night.

Liverpool planning committee yesterday granted permission for the site to be transformed into more than 900 apartments, offices and leisure facilities.

The tobacco building is thought to be the largest brick building in Europe, but the site has been derelict for almost 50 years.

Hugh Stallard, a founding director at property agents Spring 4, who are acting for owners Kitgrove, refused to comment on whether funds were in place to bankroll the £120m scheme.

But he said he hoped to work with the city council over the next six months to finalise the programme.

Although he hopes work will begin on site at the start of 2009, he insisted it was necessary to “watch this space” when asked for a guarantee of the timetable.

The plans include hollowing out the centre of the Grade II listed tobacco warehouse to create an internal car park and garden courtyard surrounded by new homes.

The 200m long, 50m wide building caused a headache for architects because so little light made it to the centre. Coring out the centre was thought to be the only way of making the space habitable.

The building will also have 11,000 sq m of office space and 2,790 sq m for exhibitions.

There will be an exclusion zone on part of the roof to provide a nesting area for peregrine falcons.

More than 900 flats will be created in the three warehouses on the site, with 634 duplexes in the 14-storey tobacco warehouse.

Because there is currently only 2.3m between each of the floors the duplexes will be partly double height and with a mezzanine floor for sleeping space.

The area makes up a large proportion of the city’s Unesco World Heritage site.

Howard Carter, director of architecture at Thinking Space, said the design had been “conservation-led”.

He added: “It was a major test to integrate it and make it accessible at ground floor level. We’ve put a lock bridge across the canal and we’re making maximum use of the building’s waterside location and also giving public access to the site.

“A major challenge was how to use the tobacco warehouse because it’s such a complex building.”

The Grade II* listed five-storey neighbouring north warehouse will have cafes, restaurants and bars, and 135 open-plan flats.
    A 20th century extension and a silo will be demolished.

Reflective sails will be installed on the dock to shine extra light on the side of the warehouse.

An annex to the Grade II listed south warehouse will be demolished and the remaining building converted into 149 flats, business and retail space.

THE development, which includes underground car parking, is expected to take six years to complete.

Kitgrove have owned the site since buying it from receivers in 1998. They unveiled similar plans in 2003 and secured planning permission to convert the north warehouse into 84 apartments.

Mr Stallard said in 2003 they hoped that phase would be completed “well before” 2008”, but work never started on the scheme. He said that was because, while the planning consent established the principle of converting the buildings into apartments, the scheme was not intensive enough because the apartments were too large.

He told the Liverpool Daily Post: “That’s why we applied for a master plan for the whole site.

“We want to get started on this as soon as possible. I would like to be all ready to go at the beginning of 2009. It’s phased and we would like to see it done as soon as reasonably possible.”

The dock system was designed by Albert Dock mastermind Jessie Hartley and built between 1850 and 1857, with the tobacco warehouse added in 1901. Mr Stallard added: “The scheme sets the listed buildings - the north and south warehouses and the tobacco warehouse - back into their original setting.

“The challenge is for everybody to work together to find uses for those buildings to maintain them for future generations.”

Councillors only narrowly granted permission, with six committee members voting for the plans and four voting against.

Objections were raised about the number of one bedroom apartments. With 409 out of 918, they make up 44.5% of the development, even though the council aims to cap new developments to 40%.

Committee chair Cllr John Irving said if the application was for a new tower block he would have insisted on the cap. He told councillors that because of the complexities of the site it was “this scheme or nothing”.

He said: “Out of all the schemes, I think this scheme is one of the best we have seen.

“It’s take it or leave it time and I personally think it’s we have got to go forward.”

Objecting, Cllr Anna Rothery said: “This flies in the face of everything that we are trying to achieve.

“I would love to see it developed, but one bedroomed apartments at that level – what’s to say you are going to have 500 derelict apartments down there in five years’ time?”
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

The tobacco building is thought to be the largest brick building in Europe, but the site has been derelict for almost 50 years.

The warehouse was used until the 1980s at least, maybe the 1990s. All the warehouses were used for storage, although few ships berthed next to them and unloaded.

Jamaican rum was pumped from ships into the Stanley Dock from pipe across the Dock Rd - that was the 1970/80s.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

I'm sure Battersea Power Station is a larger brick building.

It's going to be sad to see it converted. I'm glad that it's all being saved, and I'm sure it'll be tastefully done, but at the same time it's sad that we're losing such excellent authentic examples of dockside warehouses.

i was talking to a friend yesterday and he said that this project is on going to be put on hold for 6 months?

also, there are serious under occupancy issues already in the appartments in the city centre, what do you think the new development will do to this?

a lot of the arcades at the albert dock change hands regularly.. it doesnt seem to be booming... will stanley dock be any different?
    Last edited by Mike McG; 07-26-2008 at 06:24 PM.

I hope it will be. It's so far from town they will have to attract tenants for the shops and offices. The worst thing would be for the project to start and fail halfway through leaving the building gutted. Perhaps sheer numbers of flats will enable them to be offered at reasonable prices?

Dave.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast