Thread: Clarence Graving docks

georgie t

Arrow Clarence Graving docks

These two graving docks are easily the oldest docks on the Mersey. They date from 1830, although they were modernised as part of a major programme lasting from 1928-33.

They are unusual in Liverpool in being dug partly from rock. Some of the masonry work is of unusually high quality even by Hartley's standards. They have stepped sides and granite barrel runs. The southern graving dock has two chambers.
    Salisbury, Collingwood, Stanley, Nelson and Bramley-Moore Docks

These five docks were opened in August 1848 under the £1.4 million programme of works authorised by Parliament in 1844.

The arrangement of a double half-tide entrance with a barge lock is similar to that at Princes except that here there is also a lock from the half-tide dock (Salisbury) to the fully-impounded one (Collingwood).

The system was built at a period of great prosperity and rapidly expanding commercial enterprise, during the Industrial Revolution. This complex is of exemplary design and construction and it was designed and built by Jesse Hartley.

The enclosed docks enable ships to lie alongside the warehouses, unaffected by the rise and fall of the tide and they also reduce opportunities for theft. Stanley Docks act as a link in an integrated transport system by giving access to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.

Three of the docks lie on an east-west axis and are connected by tidal lock gates. Collingwood Dock is further separated from Stanley Dock by a bridge, which carries Regent Road.

The five docks are all faced with Hartley's trademark "Cyclopean" granite, although the Salisbury Barge Lock is faced in red sandstone. The united water area of this system at its optimum was approximately 14ha, with a linear quay space of nearly 2 miles.

explored this a while ago solo (febuary) was quite good to be honest more than i expected

main warehouse was a bit tricky so i didnt go any further than this point

nice stairway..the chute in the middle was used to get heavy parts down quickly into the dock for repairing ships

had to blank these numbers out i rang a few and they was till in use "hello dock security"

and no dock mooch wouldnt be complete without snapping this old girl

Again great pic's Georgie,but I think the oldest dock is the "Old Dock" built in 1715,and is now mainly buried under "Liverpool 1"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_47542728_dock_07.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	17143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000243.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	17144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000245.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	17145  

georgie t

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Again great pic's Georgie,but I think the oldest dock is the "Old Dock" built in 1715,and is now mainly buried under "Liverpool 1"
    ahh yehh id forgot about that one...cheers m8 i think that info i got was before they uncovered that dock so yehh is incorrect nowadays