Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Chris, thats a Lovely name, Yoria
    may I ask where its from ?
    Mart
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Thanks, Mart. I will be posting the story of Mom's name soon, stay tuned. Sorry to be mysterious but I am going to be talking about it at the memorial on Saturday.

I plan to have my Mom's wedding album at the memorial gathering on Saturday. I had an email from one of her best friends who was at the wedding in Liverpool in 1945. After following my parents and I to the US, she and her husband lived in D.C. for a number of years before they retired and went back to the UK to live. She now lives near Harrogate, Yorkshire. I plan to read out her message as well another kind note of sympathy from the daughter of another close childhood friend who is still alive. The story of the latter lady, Ida, is that my Mom and Ida were sweet peas together among school children at a pageant for the opening of the Mersey Tunnel by King George V and Queen Mary in 1934.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    The story of the latter lady, Ida, is that my Mom and Ida were sweet peas together among school children at a pageant for the opening of the Mersey Tunnel by King George V and Queen Mary in 1934.

Nice story Chris, your mom's probably amongst this crowd somewhere? It must have been an exciting time to be in Liverpool with the royal visit taking place?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Thanks, Dazza. As I recall my Mom told me that the schoolchildren were on the steps of the museum on William Brown Street. By the way, there's an interesting connection between William Brown and Baltimore where my parents and I settled in 1955. Alexander Brown, William's brother, was a banker here in Baltimore, and Alexander Brown and Company is to this day a leading investments firm. Another interesting fact is that the Alexander Brown building on the corner of Calvert and Baltimore Streets survived the Great Baltimore Fire of February 1904. Much like the Liverpool town hall which shows bomb damage from the Blitz, that building today bears the scars of the conflagration that consumed the business district of downtown Baltimore.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Thanks Chris, that's very interesting. I didn't realise that there were broader William Brown family connections in Baltimore also, including William's earlier career.

"Sir William Brown was born on the 30th May,1784 at Ballymena, County Antrim. He was the eldest son of a Belfast Linen merchant, Alexander. In 1796 young William spent 4 years in a boarding school in Yorkshire. In 1801 he left Ireland to join his father in business in Baltimore USA.His connection with Liverpool began in the year 1810. Brown realised that Liverpool, as the port of entry for American Exports, was the 'place to be.' Gradually he moved out of linen and in to cotton and eventually out of merchandising altogether and into merchant banking, where his fortune was to be made. The hazards of the trans-Atlantic trade, especially during the war of 1812 with the U.S.A induced him to relinquish his ties with the Baltimore connection."
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.