Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Walton District

My part of Wavertree was nice till we got students.

We got letters through the door from a Local MP about how residents are complaining about their lack of consideration, the rise of multi occupation which Is landlords buying up the houses and them wanting normal residents to leave so students can rent em, lack of landlord responsibilty and the failure of the council and local councilors trying to resolve the problem.

I have to open our alley gate for them every Thursday because they won;t ask and the landlord won;t get a new alley gate key for them. I use to wheel their bins for them because my mum couldn't stand the mess they make with the bins!

We got takeaway rubbish all over the place, they dump bin bags In the alleys even though they know theirs such things as wheelybins, they leave the bins out at the wrong time or don't bring their own back.

They get student accommodation built for them so why don't they live In the city centre?

I've always wanted to dump someone In a bin ever since watching American programs where nerds or small people are dumped In bins.

Who wants to do this as well?

Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Walton used to stage a festival as well and street parties would take place every year to celebrate living in Walton.

Sadly a way of life that has gone in todays sorry Walton.
    I remember the Walton festival with all the kids in fancy dress etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Steve's chippy In Aigburth Vale Is the best chippy ever!
    Is that still there??? I can remember buying a tanner of chips there back in the sixties and then waiting opposite to jump on the back of the 61 bus as it slowed taking the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Is that still there??? I can remember buying a tanner of chips there back in the sixties and then waiting opposite to jump on the back of the 61 bus as it slowed taking the corner.
    Yes, It's still there.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Walton's a ghetto and Woolton's a Village, I knew the difference.

My brother mixes up the words though.
    Full of "hippys" no doubt.

Walton has it's problems same as any other area,but it's slowly getting better.The scummy families are being evicted as landlords are slowly realising what a headache it is having to renovate a house after every tenant leaves and are selling up and having decent families moving in.
    We're having the flyover area of Queens drive regenerated with the new leisure centre and and medical centre.
    Hopefully,if Goodison moves the shops which only open on match days will be occupied by people who will open them when people actually need them.

Stanley park is thankfully being regenerated as is Walton park which has been happening for some time and has a large football centre.

The next thing we need is decent competition for supermarket shopping to drive out the disgusting Somerfields.

Try coming here before you voice an opinion.I noticed that Walton wasn't on your list of places you'd been and classed as "Ghettos".
    Last edited by stan; 03-26-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    You can just make out the old picture house in the bottom right of the pic.

I've only just spotted that Dave and even before I move onto the more recent posts, i've gotta say that's Brill. From the Church I expect?

Really great pic. Had a 3 piece out of Brunswick Furniture too.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

WALTON has a history which pre-dates most places in Liverpool.

Now Walton’s vicar – and keen historian – Trevor Latham is calling for archaeologists to help dig back through the centuries.

Mr Latham is hoping to enlist their help to discover what lies buried beneath former tennis courts in the centre of Walton village.

“Walton was a Celtic settlement and you can see an oval outline made by Walton village and Church Road, which is surrounded by the straight lines of Victorian streets.

“The egg shape stands out like a sore thumb. My own view is there does seem to be an outline suggesting a settlement here, probably going back 2,000 years.

continues.....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Celtic Walton

[QUOTE=Kev;48471]WALTON has a history which pre-dates most places in Liverpool.

“Walton was a Celtic settlement and you can see an oval outline made by Walton village and Church Road, which is surrounded by the straight lines of Victorian streets.

“The egg shape stands out like a sore thumb. My own view is there does seem to be an outline suggesting a settlement here, probably going back 2,000 years.

QUOTE]

Exactly my views posted a few days ago. The egg shaped church yard is the typical "Llan " enclosure which have given rise to the name associated with Welsh Churches. Often these enclosures pre date the Christian era and were simply adopted as a site for the new church. In some parts of Wales Bronze age burial urns have been found in church graveyards. These bronze age peoples also planted yew trees in their burial enclosures which is why you still see them today in churchyards.
    Last edited by taffy; 04-05-2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: correction

Originally Posted by Suburban
    Walton used to stage a festival as well and street parties would take place every year to celebrate living in Walton.

I remember the Walton festival with all the kids in fancy dress etc.

Does Anyone remember the Eden Vale Carnival (in Netherton) from The Eden Vale Pub to Litherland Town Hall and back - then onto a fate at what is now the NAC? Still do it now I think but its not as good as it used to be. Iused to look forward to that Carnival every year.

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

good photo of bedford road there just behind that old cinima is an old railway cutting

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post

Walton Festival/Village Fate: 16JUN07

I found this by accident tbh, but was a great experiance...

The church put on a good spread; There was a local history stall which had old postcards on show as well as a "Walton: Then and Now" book which may still be availible from the church priced at £5.25. Rice Lane Farm were there wil a few sheep and goats too. There was even a town crier fully decked out with a bell! He was having fun with the Lord Mayor from what I noticed. The Church Choir were absolutely amazing.

It was really amazing; I hope some of you guys were also able to get there. It showed that people do still take pride in Walton, They are proud of their surroundings and they will make sure that it remains that way.

Well done to the people of Walton!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

PhilipG

Small world!

I was there as well.
    Took quite a lot of snaps to go in the stained glass and old crosses threads.
    I was invited because one of the ladies in the choir has organised a petition to save the former Bedford Cinema which is close by.

Blog Entries

I only live off Walton Rd & didn't know anything was going on today,in fact I went up County Rd shopping but never went that far up
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Small world!

I was there as well.
    Took quite a lot of snaps to go in the stained glass and old crosses threads.
    I was invited because one of the ladies in the choir has organised a petition to save the former Bedford Cinema which is close by.
    Well, if you saw a lad with a Primark bag, it was I!

I was in the church whilst the Choir was on; was rather hoping the Lord Mayor would say a few words but never mind.

As I say, I had walked from Oakfield Road via Ince Ave and so it was quite a nice suprise to see something going on in Walton. I was getting the impression that the city was rather quiet this morning; Kensington was deserted at 1100hrs this morning for example.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast