Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Allerton Area

We have so many trendy bistros and snobby middle-class wine bars along Allerton Road these days, yet I haven't had an honest to goodness decent meal in any one of these places. Blimey, can't we just get one nice middle of the road traditional style restaurant that serves great food at a reasonable price? I'd even take a nice old fashioned public house that serves good pub grub at this point. I'm a little tired of all the over-the-top quasi French and Italian places trying to be oh so chic, with outrageous prices, flavourless food, pretentious ambiance, and miserly portions. Did I mention the rude bar and wait staff at so many of these 'new-money' poser hang-outs? Absolutely laughable.

Hey, I'm not saying I'm longing for a place that serves meat pies and chips, but if you are going to open an Italian bistro, does it have to be some kind of haute cuisine place that refuses to serve anything in good old spicey Italian red sauce? Sorry, but like most Brits and Americans, when I think of Italian food I think of ricotta cheese filled ravioli in red sauce with Italian sausages with a nice green salad starter. I think of Lasagna or the ubiquitous Spaghetti and meatballs. I don't think of sushi, fish heads and brazil nuts. Plus, if you do serve traditional style southern Italian food, how's about some spice and flavour? If you want to eat bland, get a sausage roll and chips. And like I said previously, don't charge me a King's ransom either. Man-size portions would be a nice touch too. We're all not little women on macro-biotic diets. Mingia!

Ciao!

Good post. well said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bdm View Post
    We have so many trendy bistros and snobby middle-class wine bars along Allerton Road these days, yet I haven't had an honest to goodness decent meal in any one of these places. Blimey, can't we just get one nice middle of the road traditional style restaurant that serves great food at a reasonable price? I'd even take a nice old fashioned public house that serves good pub grub at this point. I'm a little tired of all the over-the-top quasi French and Italian places trying to be oh so chic, with outrageous prices, flavourless food, pretentious ambiance, and miserly portions. Did I mention the rude bar and wait staff at so many of these 'new-money' poser hang-outs? Absolutely laughable.

Hey, I'm not saying I'm longing for a place that serves meat pies and chips, but if you are going to open an Italian bistro, does it have to be some kind of haute cuisine place that refuses to serve anything in good old spicey Italian red sauce? Sorry, but like most Brits and Americans, when I think of Italian food I think of ricotta cheese filled ravioli in red sauce with Italian sausages with a nice green salad starter. I think of Lasagna or the ubiquitous Spaghetti and meatballs. I don't think of sushi, fish heads and brazil nuts. Plus, if you do serve traditional style southern Italian food, how's about some spice and flavour? If you want to eat bland, get a sausage roll and chips. And like I said previously, don't charge me a King's ransom either. Man-size portions would be a nice touch too. We're all not little women on macro-biotic diets. Mingia!

Ciao!

You might find this interesting:

http://www.itchefs-gvci.com/

I know exactly what you mean about the rude staff, I asked one waitier if he had frogs legs - thumped me he did.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Libertarian

Quote Originally Posted by bdm View Post

Ciao!

You should try popping up to Bootle we have a lovely greasy spoon on Litherland Road, a Mcdonalds and a Subway on Stanley Road andone Chinese restaurant!!

Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    You should try popping up to Bootle we have a lovely greasy spoon on Litherland Road, a Mcdonalds and a Subway on Stanley Road andone Chinese restaurant!!
    What, no Indian takeaway?

Blog Entries

Default Allerton Rd Bars

BARS along Liverpool’s popular Allerton Road are being investigated for setting up illegal outdoor drinking areas. Read

Anyone noticed these areas along the pavements?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Yet ANOTHER wine bar to open at no Eight Allerton Rd , appropriatley called EIGHT ,Do you think Allerton Rd is overloaded with them now , i do , i must be getting old ,

Karen

Supply and demand it is. They'll soon close if no-one wants them. Better than tinned up premises I suppose.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    Yet ANOTHER wine bar to open at no Eight Allerton Rd , appropriatley called EIGHT ,Do you think Allerton Rd is overloaded with them now , i do , i must be getting old ,

Karen
    They'll regret this location. The church next door has just installed a new ring of 8 bells !!!

yeah your right there Ged & i agree , BUT another wine bar , i was all excited ( don't laugh) waiting to see what an empty shop on Allerton Rd would be , guess what ? it opened last week Not a wine bar this time !! nooooo another cafe, (The Square ) I think i'm going wrong somewhere i'm gonna stop cooking & become a pi** ed. or maybe it's time for a house move

karen x

Thumbs up " The Newy"

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    I visited the Allerton Towers Park in Allerton a few days ago. Near the old stable block, I found an interesting old tunnel. Anyone any ideas what it was for. It seems to lead to a small enclosed space. I wondered if it might have been an old ice house.
    Hi Taffy,
    The Newy as we locals used to call it was our main playing area,
    for football, cricket, sledgeing, in the winter, and the sweet Chesnut
    trees along with those in Woolton Rd, where second to non.
    when you where at the old stable block was the big stone trough still
    there in the first stable and are the toilets still there.
    there used to be a chap bulger White who was badly shell shocked in the
    1914 war who we often found asleep in it.
    the hole you found at the end of the building we used to go in it
    but we always thought it had something to do with the over flow of
    calderstone lake , as the water used to appear above ground in the golf
    cause at the far end of the Valley. in the park one year a giant beech
    was blown down in the valley the roots left a massive hole in the groung
    revealing a water way culvert which goes under Woolton Rd, to reappear
    In Smiggers field, another one of our play areas, until they put the council
    tip on it.
    As for Allerton Hall we always thought it was the big house behind the
    Citrus House which you could get to through the big wooden gates
    in from the Black Gates path, thats the place we used to get into.
    Great memories park keeper Dicky Heatly, head gardener Mr Reuhn?
    who I used to pester in the dinner hour abt !st & 2nd stopping on
    incurved chrysanths.
    Great Yrs,

Cheer's,

Tippo.
    Last edited by Tippo; 02-28-2009 at 11:44 PM.

I'm selling a very rare Allerton hall plate on E-bay if anyone is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_500wt_1154

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123