Thread: Old funny song that my dad used to sing when we whrere kids

Post Old funny song that my dad used to sing when we whrere kids

Hi All
    Sadly on 8th August this year my Dad
    John Frederick Davies (age 61) passed way, :-(
    he was born and bought up in 39 Sandbeck street, the Dingle
    he went to st Cleopas and then Dingle Vale....

He used to tell me the funniest stories about him 2 of his friends competing against each other at school to see who could get the cain the most......
    and about letting up penny banger fireworks up the old lead drainpipes
    and builing bonfires at the end of the street

he was an amazing dad, father in law and Granddad and will be missed by many....

Although that is not the main reason for me posting, although i wondered if anyone did rememeber my dad from school or playing in the street etc.,..

so getting back to my origional question...
    When i was much much yonger i remember my dad singing a very funby and obviously scouse written song, however i have forgotten most of the lyrics.

the only verse i can remeber and i know it is pretty much complete as i can still sing it in my head. here goes

"I'm a man of experience,
    just 12 years old.
    12 years on the earth
    has made me real bold
    IT HAS
    i'm telling you...
    well i like to eat sweets and drink lemonade
    and to to the pictures and piull girls pigtails
    well they as for it don't they..........."

and its there that i forget the rerst of the words but they where of eqaul wit and wisdom throught the eyes of a 12 year old boy....

i would love to remember recall the words if anyone can help me, as i would love to teach this song 1 day also to my own son

BIG THANKS
    Alison Davies-Bell
    x

Hi Alison,
    sorry to hear about your dad,61 is pretty young! Can't help with the song,but I do know a couple of people who have lived in Dingle,all of their lives,and may know the song.
    Steve.

Hi Alison,

I am very sorry to hear about your dad. I knew John in my younger days, around the mid to late sixties. He was about 3 years older than me, and I can confirm what a nice bloke he was. Although we were not close friends, he was always willing to talk about common interests, one of which at the time was steam trains. He was even so kind as to give me a copy of The Observers Book of Steam Locomotives.

I lived at the top of Sandbeck Street, in number 3, from 1962 until I got married in 73. My dad, Bill Langstaff lived there until 2000 when, sadly, he passed away.

The lead pipes you refer to were the overflow pipes from the outside toilets that we had in those days. When someone was heard to go about their business in same, a banger was inserted into the pipe to assist with their current activity. :-)

One thing which stands out in my mind, was, in the very cold winter of 63/64. We were all sliding down the steep street in the snow on makeshift toboggans, when out comes John with a Rolls Royce version which he said came from Canada. Of course we all wanted a go, and after some coaxing your dad was good enough to let us. I think he was worried his mum & dad would not approve.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the song, as it is one I do not know.

Nick Langstaff

nickl7@bigpond.com

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Hi Nick,
    I hope Alison gets to read your story. She ain't been here since last year I think.
    Anyway, nice one fella and welcome aboard

Hi ItsaZappathing,

Thank you, I am very happy to have found this excellent site.

Nick

Hi Nick,that bit about the banger sounded "helpful"!