Thread: Canada Boulevard

Default Canada Boulevard

Can anyone tell us what has happened on Canada Boulevard, in particular the Memorial Plaques to Canadian ships which used to grace the maple trees which have now been chopped down?

If they have been safely stored during the digging of the canal and the building of the new Museum of Liverpool Life, then fine. But if they have been ditched or dumped then it would be an absolute scandal, and an insult to the memory of all those Canadians.
    Gerry (Liver Bird) Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Jones View Post
    Can anyone tell us what has happened on Canada Boulevard, in particular the Memorial Plaques to Canadian ships which used to grace the maple trees which have now been chopped down?

If they have been safely stored during the digging of the canal and the building of the new Museum of Liverpool Life, then fine. But if they have been ditched or dumped then it would be an absolute scandal, and an insult to the memory of all those Canadians.
    Gerry (Liver Bird) Jones.

It's an insult that they are replacing the Canadian maple trees with Norwegian ones.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Why are they replacing the Canadian Maple trees with Norwegian ones?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Maple TRees on Canada Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Why are they replacing the Canadian Maple trees with Norwegian ones?
    Good news, folks. I've just had a "horse's mouth" answer from the Canadian High commission, in full detail.

"In reviewing the plans for improving the Liverpool waterfront, it is clear that Canada Boulevard also needed refurbishment, as it was starting to look tired, mainly as a result of the selection of the particular variety of maple trees which were not coping well with the unique climate conditions associated with the Merseyside waterfront."

...and later in the email, they say;
    " Regrettably the trees have not faired so well, as the Canadian native variety of maple tree is not adapting to the unique climate conditions of the Merseyside. Therefore, the City of Liverpool is replacing them with a variety of maple tree more suited to the climate conditions (Norwegian maple). This should be relatively seamless to all but the keenest of arborists, and it will ensure that future visitors will be greeted with a lush boulevard of mature maple trees befitting a memorial. "

... and further down again;
    "their plans call for Canada Boulevard to be modified slightly to encompass a double row of maple trees on one side (single on the other side) thereby increasing the total maple trees from 52 to 92. The current protocol of dedicating pairs of trees will be retained with the current ships plaques, all of which appear to be in very good shape.
    Suffice to say, that the City of Liverpool is most genuine in their desire to improve and maintain Canada Boulevard."

So now we know why they were taken down, why they will be Norwegian, there will be lots more maple trees, and how it's not an insult, and that the Canadians are very happy with the City's plans.
    Good news all the way, and the plaques are safe and in good nick.
    Gerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Jones View Post
    Good news, folks. I've just had a "horse's mouth" answer from the Canadian High commission, in full detail.

"In reviewing the plans for improving the Liverpool waterfront, it is clear that Canada Boulevard also needed refurbishment, as it was starting to look tired, mainly as a result of the selection of the particular variety of maple trees which were not coping well with the unique climate conditions associated with the Merseyside waterfront."

...and later in the email, they say;
    " Regrettably the trees have not faired so well, as the Canadian native variety of maple tree is not adapting to the unique climate conditions of the Merseyside. Therefore, the City of Liverpool is replacing them with a variety of maple tree more suited to the climate conditions (Norwegian maple). This should be relatively seamless to all but the keenest of arborists, and it will ensure that future visitors will be greeted with a lush boulevard of mature maple trees befitting a memorial. "

... and further down again;
    "their plans call for Canada Boulevard to be modified slightly to encompass a double row of maple trees on one side (single on the other side) thereby increasing the total maple trees from 52 to 92. The current protocol of dedicating pairs of trees will be retained with the current ships plaques, all of which appear to be in very good shape.
    Suffice to say, that the City of Liverpool is most genuine in their desire to improve and maintain Canada Boulevard."

So now we know why they were taken down, why they will be Norwegian, there will be lots more maple trees, and how it's not an insult, and that the Canadians are very happy with the City's plans.
    Good news all the way, and the plaques are safe and in good nick.
    Gerry.
    Sorry Gerry, but I personally find that unacceptable. Norwegian maple trees on Canada Boulevard? I think somebody has forgotten the whole point of the Canadian maple trees.

I should point out this is not an attack on you Gerry. I consider you a fine fellow.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

I agree with you A.D. Williams. I hope the boulevard won't be renamed before 2008 as it doesn't sound enough europeen...

A sad picture - the axed maple trees put to some 'use'.

Quote Originally Posted by A. D. Williams View Post
    A sad picture - the axed maple trees put to some 'use'.

I think that's as disrespectful as cutting them down in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by iain View Post
    I think that's as disrespectful as cutting them down in the first place
    Aye. Myself and Mr Brocklebank of the Daily Post agree with your sentiments, Iain.

Most of memorial slabs have been re-installed...facing a different way to what they were.