View Poll Results: Should Liverpool build 'L.A.' type Skyscrapers?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 48.28%
  • No

15 51.72%
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Liverpool build 'L.A.' type Skyscrapers?

Default Should Liverpool build 'L.A.' type Skyscrapers?

I know a few buildings by the pier head are under development but i was thinking we should have 'Los Angeles' type Skyscrapers, Penthouses etc becouse not only it will make the city a nicer looking place but will also save landspace.

They could also have chopper pads on the roof's

Asian Sky Scrapers look well better.

L.A = overated.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Checkout this thread
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Exclamation

Not L.A. style skyscrapers! L.A. skyscrapers are nothing special, just tall for the sake of being tall with no architectural merit. Liverpool shouldn't have skyscrapers like anywhere else, they need to be our own style and not just a copy of other cities.

Ok not copies of thiers but maybe similar.

Australia/New Zealand have some nice ones.

London has some unique skyscrapers like the gherkin, and has even more interesting ones either under construction or in the planning process. See http://skyscrapernews.com for more details.

Blog Entries

Any regeneration in the city has got to be welcomed. Pity about the out lying areas though. Some estates are worse than Bahgdad.

Some estates are worse than Bahgdad.
    So true haha.

WOuldn't agree with welcoming anything though, that seems what the council an such have done already and some of them are boring looking or placed in the wrong place. Theres no art in them either and some world class views are being ruined like the Mann island garbage.

Plus the council only care about the city centre.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Plus the council only care about the city centre.
    Spot on Max.

I don't think I'd like to live in a highrise apartment, scared of heights
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Blog Entries

The problem is English Heritage cutting down buildings to stumps which look cheap and tatty. If they build high they maximise their investments and the quaity rises.

The centre should be paramount. A pity the tarsnport network is poorly thought out. Merseyrail can make a Circle Line enhancing the centre and deprived inner-city districts. That would real push the city upwards.

Many out of town estates are like because of the inhabitants. Money should not be squandered on these places over real progress in the centre. The city still needs to attract a larger middle class to push it forward.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote:
    "Many out of town estates are like because of the inhabitants. Money should not be squandered on these places over real progress in the centre. The city still needs to attract a larger middle class to push it forward."

These Inhabitants actually pay their rates like any other inhabitant of this city so why are they not entitled to see the benefits ?

When COC came around I wondered when ANY of the money being invested would be spread around OR, WHEN they would be putting events on in the suburbs, but hey, what the hell, we pay our taxes for the Centre to get the benefit, so why should we care if they get fatter.

AND, on a lot of these "Estates" are genuine law abiding citizens who feel trapped and let down, so keep your feeling of not "squandering" any money on them, they may all move out of the city and then where would you be ?
    And I say CITY because that's what Liverpool is, NOT a town centre.

Rant over, back onto the thread, I'm not in favour of too many tall buildings as it just feels too congested for me, only my opinion mind.
    Martin
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
    Quote:
    "Many out of town estates are like because of the inhabitants. Money should not be squandered on these places over real progress in the centre. The city still needs to attract a larger middle class to push it forward."

These Inhabitants actually pay their rates like any other inhabitant of this city so why are they not entitled to see the benefits ?
    No one is saying deprive them of benefits, just not pour money down the drain because they wrecked their own communities. I never see middle class communities wrecked.

If the city is to propel itself forward the centre, dock waters and Merseyrail transport is where full focus should be. The rest will benefit when the city picks up. Pouring good money after bad is rather silly. The city has to turn from being large sink estate as that was the way it was going.
    Last edited by Waterways; 07-27-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Default Tall Order

Regeneration has a psychology look around you. I don?t mean just Liverpool. Take Bristol or Cardiff as examples. These regeneration projects are similar as they are the regeneration of old waterfront quays and warehouses. Do you ever feel a slight alienation from these projects that change your landscape? High rise buildings for whom? Sometimes I feel alienation is not just an experience of the relationship you have with what you produce, it is something that you experience in the immediate environment that you live in. Plans proposals and wow there it is right in your face but you have nothing really to do with it. It might make a nice picture on the living room wall but your relationship ends there. Cardiff has large marines that once were docks neat little sailing vessels are moored all around. All ship shape and Bristol fashion there too. However we who slope about the streets ride on busses and stroll along the new walk ways where do we come into the picture ? And who are these privileged folk who dwell in these expensive apartments? So tall buildings are okay if they mean something to you. If not you just live under their shadow. I once stood on Whitechapel Road down the East End from there you can see all the gleaming towers of the city of London. Well then you wonder why some people go bad. Imagine being born and growing up looking at wealth you yourself can never be part of? Okay a few coke sniffing wise guys might come good and get penthouses but most of us just look on and wonder.
    Progress is great and I do want to see a new Liverpool rise as a modern sea port City. Yet sometimes I think some of the old ideas that were around in the sixties and seventies should be put forward. A fun park on the waterfront. Skate boarding parks and cycle tracks. That alleviates the problem of alienation. Okay you have a skin full down town and your mates leave you at the bus stop. Suddenly you experience a shadow and the night is darker than normal. Then you realize it is all the new buildings that sprung up around the place you once thought of as home. You feel a slight sadness as so much has changed around you yet you haven?t really been part of it. Billy went to John?s house on Saturday morning to ask him if he fancied a walk down to the all weather pitch as his lad was playing in a semi final. ?Won?t be a minute says John putting on his trackie top?. On the way to the all weather John saw his Nephew in the skate board park ?watch this Uncle John cried his Nephew as he twisted and turned on his skate board?. ?Will you be in on the abseiling asked Billy as they approached the all weather ? you know twenty of us are doing the main tower and then there?s a disco in the boys club at the top ?Well you know what I mean it is always nice to be part of what is going on around you.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Regeneration has a psychology look around you...Well you know what I mean it is always nice to be part of what is going on around you.
    Building tall makes a statement about progress and ambition but is not enough to make a city. What happens at street level; the life and buzz of the city ie. the people, make the place. We need the life of the city that you describe as well as grand statements of high rise ambition.

Oh and by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    The problem is English Heritage cutting down buildings to stumps which look cheap and tatty. If they build high they maximise their investments...
    ...building tall costs more. The greater the number of floors, the lower the ratio of useful space to support space (lifts etc) and hence the greater the cost of useable space per square metre. Hence the financial return per square metre is actually lower, the higher you go.

This is only partly compensated for in 'prestige value' in a competitive market. In a slow market; low, fat buildings will maximise return on investment for any given area of building.

The council planners of Liverpool and Merseyside have got it right so far as far as I'm concerned.

If you look from across the water, you'll notice that the high rise buildings in Liverpool are all to the left - in the 'Business' area. There is still plenty of space in this area for further development (Such as Vauxhall), which is something which in future years will be bought up and regenerated. In this area, it wouldn't be surprising to see more 40 story + 'Skyscrapers' being built. Most planning permissions for such buildings generally fall to the North (Left) and South (Far right) of the city skyline (So far un-tapped). In the main hub of Liverpool, the areas where the people of Liverpool and toursits reside, you'll notice the regeneration of the older Edwardian buildings. This is generally lower level buildings which maintain the historical values of our city.

As a photographer I have been asked to undertake many photography assignments, taking images of Liverpool and Merseyside from across the water. In doing this, I have noticed how the city planners have envisioned Liverpool not only from a 'Perfect' photograph perspective, but also for those living and working within our community. When driving down the 'Strand', you'll notice high rise buildings everywhere. But driving passed these, you'll notice historical buildings, fading into low rise modern buildings such as the Echo Arena.

Buildings built 30 or 40 years ago, such as the 'Tower restaurant', now the 'City Tower', compliment our skyline and this slight miss mash of buildings only help in making our skyline individual and unique.... In a good way.

I was always a great advocate of the 'Fourth Grace' - the brain like building that never happened. This building would have given our skyline a major identity and a good one at that... Individual to us and something that would have given our skyline an almost 'World class' perspective to the world. As far as I'm concerned it was an opportunity missed.

Your thoughts?!

Where memories are made http://www.atmosferik.com

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast