Thread: St James train crash?

Default St James train crash?

Just been reading on another thread about StJames station. I used to drink in Cains Brewery Tap, which is haunted!, Any way I was asking one of the many barmaids if she had any wierd experiences in the pub. She told me she was in the cellar one night, and she distinctly heard a train crash. I scoffed at this, but she swore to me, she heard a train crash and screams, and got out of therre fast. I some time later remember reading abaout a troop train crashing in St James station during the first world war! Weird or what?

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by verdi View Post
    Just been reading on another thread about StJames station. I used to drink in Cains Brewery Tap, which is haunted!, Any way I was asking one of the many barmaids if she had any wierd experiences in the pub. She told me she was in the cellar one night, and she distinctly heard a train crash. I scoffed at this, but she swore to me, she heard a train crash and screams, and got out of therre fast. I some time later remember reading abaout a troop train crashing in St James station during the first world war! Weird or what?
    The brewery Tap and St James Station are about 1/2 a mile apart though?

Are you trying to say there's a ghost train there as well as Souwwey?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

bunf

that's interesting

Hello again, Jona I don't think the tunnel and the pub are that far apart. I was only relating what the barmaid told me and it was at least a year before I read in the echo about the station. I am a fan of ochams razor ! but this one, she was the type of girl who wouldn't have a clue about local history. No offence meant?

theninesisters

None taken all round

But do check out my map - James St station is top left and the Brewery Tap is Bottom Right - a long long way away.

Ah....it's dawned on me...are you talking about Liverpool St James?

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...es/index.shtml

As that's just down the road!!

Attachment 1651
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 07:58 PM.

Yeah the one on the corner of Parliament street, actualy just up from the Tap. It is on the Southport - Huntscross line.

Just clicked on the link, that is the station. as stated you can see it as you pass through on the train. Would love to have a mooch around there!

I've beeb reading this forum for time, very interesting I must say. Hello to all.
    I used to work for Merseyrail and it is reported that James Street station is haunted by a soldier in WW1 or WW2 uniform who walks the lenth of the disused platform then vanishes. I've tried looking out for the solider at all different times of the day and night. But with no joy.

Never seen him myself, although I did see something wierd. One day whilst walking through Birkenhead town centre there was this guy walking along, old chap, white hair, wearing what looked like a late 19th century battledress. Like something off 'Zulu'. He was carrying what looked like a replica Lee Enfield or similar, and just half walking half marching along.

Not a ghost, just a local crank, I'm sure, but was interesting all the same...

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Never seen him myself, although I did see something wierd. One day whilst walking through Birkenhead town centre there was this guy walking along, old chap, white hair, wearing what looked like a late 19th century battledress. Like something off 'Zulu'. He was carrying what looked like a replica Lee Enfield or similar, and just half walking half marching along.

Not a ghost, just a local crank, I'm sure, but was interesting all the same...
    I remember back in the late 1970's seeing a very ghostly looking elderly woman in perfect 19th Century dress walking past the right side of the Adelphi at the bottom of Mount Pleasant opposite the Bierkeller. It really sent a shudder down my spine. Sorry if it's off topic but it was prompted by the above post.

Opposite the Bierkeller, yeah, too many spirits in that area.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.