Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Records office look ups

Gnomie

I think i need to make something clear here.

The offer for look ups is for regular users of this forum. I have been getting PM`s from people who have no post on the forum. I am not going to help you if you cant be bothered joining in the forum, your messages will be deleted. Its a great place here so join in.
    If thats all you want then can i suggest you google "Genealogy Forum" and join one.

Regular members and new members who are posting feel free to ask. i dont promise anything but i will look for you or ask others who are looking up. and bear with me as it my be a while before i get to the library.

but ask away.

Tony.

MariaC

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    I think i need to make something clear here.

The offer for look ups is for regular users of this forum. I have been getting PM`s from people who have no post on the forum. I am not going to help you if you cant be bothered joining in the forum, your messages will be deleted. Its a great place here so join in.
    If thats all you want then can i suggest you google "Genealogy Forum" and join one.

Regular members and new members who are posting feel free to ask. i dont promise anything but i will look for you or ask others who are looking up. and bear with me as it my be a while before i get to the library.

but ask away.

Tony.

Well said

gnomie i wonder if you could do a look up for me?

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by pasha View Post
    gnomie i wonder if you could do a look up for me?
    Maybe i can? ask away Pasha

not sure when i can get there though.

thank you for the offer but its ok now
    kind regards debbie

Default Missing Person

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Hi All

I was thinking if any members use the records office. maybe we could do look ups for other members. i go there about once a month and dont mind looking up for people. if you need a look up just post and i shall see if i can find your info. no promises mind, but if i can i will.

Maybe we could talk about what you can look through. i was put onto the workhouse book records. unbelievable book with incredible info. and yes my 2 ancestors where there. but being related to me they absconded after 2 days. they where aged 7 and 9. what a different world we live in.

Hi Gnomie,

There is someone I am very interested in tracing or if possible relatives of, who if found, could possibly help to solve one of the intriguing mysteries of World War II that happened in Liverpool.

Living as I do in Australia, makes it very hard to go looking and searching but if you are willing to help and by doing so are able to find someone who can help to solve this Enigma you could get yourself 15 minutes of fame as they say!

The person I am looking for is the manager of the STORK hotel that used to exist in Queen Square but is now replaced by a new modern hotel.

The manager, Mr. GILES but I don't know his first name, was in that position in the 1940's. I know he was there in 1942 as I worked there myself from February to Novemeber of that year. He is more than likely now deceased as he was very much older that I was at the time (19) and it is possible that he was in some way connected with military intelligence at the time of his tenure at the STORK.

This is something of an intriguing story and I would be very pleased to have some answers to what was happening at the STORK during the war, so If you can help your may find the experience exciting.

Best Wishes

Kenneth Williams
    It takes two to Tango but at my age, a Zimmer frame is also very useful!

Hi Gnomie
    I will be in Liverpool in early November and want to go to the Liverpool Record Office.
    I'll only have one day available so I want to take full advatage of it, arriving early.
    Can I get a readers ticket there and then showing my passport as ID?
    Do I need to book a fiche viewer?
    Any other tips?
    Cheers
    Rob

To join the search room on the 4th floor you'll need two pieces of ID. The microfilm/fiche doesn't have to be pre-booked. Tell them what you're after at the desk and they'll help you - there's drawers with street directories, boxes of old newspapers etc and in the search room there's cemetary, school, hospital records as well as a maroon book with lists of everything from streets, housing, liners etc and you can fill in slips asking to see photographs of them. The staff go down every 20 mins to the archives and pull out the required files/ledgers.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

If you're coming from out of town, it's a good idea to book a microfiche or microfilm viewer in advance, as there are times of day when they could be all full.
    This is especially true of the reader/printers which always seem all taken when I go in.

Thanks GED, that is fairly clear.
    Can you get them to take photocopies of any things you see?
    Forgive my ignorance but what are the fiche readers for? What info. is on fiche and what is the real thing?
    cheers
    Rob

Yes PhillipG, I'm coming from out of town...........is Mexico out of town enough for you?
    If I arrive early I hope to get a reader.
    cheers and thanks
    Rob

During my few short days in Liverpool, I'd like to find a good used bookshop and see if I can pick up a couple of old books on Liverpool/Wavertree, maybe an old map, old picture postcards or local magazines.
    Can anyone direct me to one?
    cheers
    Rob

PhilipG

Default Rob.

Microfiche covers the Births, Marriages and Deaths indexes and Censuses and the IGI (Mormon) records (which are on-line anyway).

I've just mentioned local books, etc., on another thread, which also gives the places to buy stuff that is in print.

Don't wait until the actual day to book a place in the Library.
    If you want to send me a PM with the date you want, I'll book you in.

Rob. Take up Phil's kind offer if you don't have that much time to spend, better safe than sorry. You can photograph as long as it's for personal use or use the photocopier (10p) or laser copier (more expensive, £1 approx) - per A4 sheet. The Wavertree Historical society www.wavertreehistoricalsociety have books but one of these is still on general sale in Waterstones and W.H. Smiths inLiverpool city centre near to the records office, in fact they sell books too.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks PhilipG and Ged.
    I have sent PhilipG a PM but his inbox is full.
    I'll be at the LRO all day on Friday 9th November starting at opening time.
    cheers
    Rob

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast