Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Scottie Road Area

Blog Entries

Default Top of Great Homer Street

Various images around the top of Great Homer Street. All sourced from the LRO, and were taken around the late 1950's.

There's an 1906 OS map index below, which shows the direction of each image taken.

Image A ^ Boundary Street East, close to the junction with Scotland Road, to the right.
    'Alex Munro', 'Wheelwright & Blacksmith' business advertises: 'Ladders, Trucks, Trestles, Trollies & Handcarts' and his telephone number listed is 'North 1355'. The RH side wall shown still exists today and belongs to the Hamlet Pub, on Scotland Road. The chimney in the background belongs to a house in Nursery Street.

Image B ^ Boundary Street East, looking towards Great Homer Street.
    Notice the bricked-in cellar windows, with what appears to be an airbrick above.

Image C ^ Boundary Street East, with Great Homer Street junction, to the left.

Image D ^ Looking down Nursery Street, viewed from Great Homer Street.
    Bent's brewery chimney stack can be seen in the distance, across Scotland Road, and directly behind the Rotunda theatre [now demolished].

Image E ^ Skirving Street & Nursery Street from Great Homer Street.
    The missing gable end building was destroyed during WWII. Originally four buildings occupied the space between Skirving & Nursery Streets.

Image F ^ Mould Street, [with backs of Skirving Street behind].

Image Location Plan, taken from 1906 OS map, trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Brilliant photos
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Superb pics and info Dazza
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Blog Entries

Great photos. Did you notice the lack of litter in the photos. They aint got a pot to p ss in, yet there is no litter.

Great pic's Dazza, good idea to use the map,etc!

Very interesting. Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Great photos. Did you notice the lack of litter in the photos. They aint got a pot to p ss in, yet there is no litter.
    They're so poor they aint got no litter. Probably used it as fire lighters.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Cracker pics Dazza. Nice one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    They're so poor they aint got no litter. Probably used it as fire lighters.
    You're probably right there Ged. I remember me Nan, she never wasted owt. Recycling, she done it all. She even unwound the wool from old jumpers and used it again. We were probably wearing jumpers from 1794.

?17.94 was quite expensive back then
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    ?17.94 was quite expensive back then
    Ha, asked for that.

Blog Entries

Default :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your comments, you guys are the best

I'm always amazed by what you can read into old photos. Some more observations:

I missed lack of the litter around [thanks pab & Ged] ha ha - they used absolutely everything then, didn't they? A lesson to us all.

There's also an old gas lamp mounted on the wall, Mould Street [image F]

There's a handcart at the end of nearly every street. Probably the same ones you normally see in old court photos? [image E].

The new advertisements are amazing - building dreams again, whilst flogging stuff [as ever's been the case]. The contrast between bombed-out neighbourhood and a picture of the future is dramatic. Ad's/ billboards look like band-aids, put across an open wound, as they occupy sites of distress: the exposed gable wall, that was once someone's living room wall, or the plots of rubble where someone's shop once stood. [image E].

No litter is easily explained,hardly any packaging, no fast food shops except chippies,open fireplaces so a lot of rubbish was burned and no money.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Thanks for thoes pictures Dazza. The Mould st area brings back many memories to me. On one corner of Mould and Scotland Rd was a clock makers shop owend by a Mr Nash and the shop nextdoor was a sweet and tobacconists Harrison's owned by my Aunt Nelly, I spent many happy hours there when i was a kid selling many a half ounce Gallaghers fine irish snuff to the Mary Ellens, delivering papers around the area, and taking trays of tea and biscuts over the road to the boxoffice in the Rotunder. On the other corner of Moult St and Scotty lived a family called Lundon I remember us all sheltering in there cellar during the May Blitz on the night the Rotunder got bombed, a lot of the people from the area that had been bombed out had there furnature stored in the Rotunder, and when it was hit by incendiary bombs it went up like a tinderbox. At the back of the Rotunder was a funeral directors, I just cant remember there name but there where horses stabled in there and they all burnt to death, the noise from them was horrific. Maybe Spike can use some of this info on his WW2 site.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_2 View Post
    Thanks for thoes pictures Dazza. The Mould st area brings back many memories to me. On one corner of Mould and Scotland Rd was a clock makers shop owend by a Mr Nash and the shop nextdoor was a sweet and tobacconists Harrison's owned by my Aunt Nelly, I spent many happy hours there when i was a kid selling many a half ounce Gallaghers fine irish snuff to the Mary Ellens, delivering papers around the area, and taking trays of tea and biscuts over the road to the boxoffice in the Rotunder. On the other corner of Moult St and Scotty lived a family called Lundon I remember us all sheltering in there cellar during the May Blitz on the night the Rotunder got bombed, a lot of the people from the area that had been bombed out had there furnature stored in the Rotunder, and when it was hit by incendiary bombs it went up like a tinderbox. At the back of the Rotunder was a funeral directors, I just cant remember there name but there where horses stabled in there and they all burnt to death, the noise from them was horrific. Maybe Spike can use some of this info on his WW2 site.

Nice one Gerry, was you in this area right through the bombing.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast