Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottie Road Area

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by ozziebabs View Post
    Thank you Gerard for your lovely photos. I must say though I feel very sad after looking at them.It was almost as though I had never lived there as it all looks so different and I only recognised a few places. St Anthonys, and a few in town. I lived on Great Homer St but had no idea that, that was what I was looking at, what part of Great Homer street is it and which way are we looking? I left Liverpool 31 Years ago but have been back 5 times, the last visit was 4 years ago.
    You put a lot of effort into your posts and your photos and make it very interesting reading and viewing, thank you.
    Hiya ozziebabs and welcome to the group,
    Thank you for the nice comments about my piccies,it is very much appreciated..Thanks again..
    Heres a few more for yer..
    If you want any photos of Greaty as is now or anywhere else around the town then just let me know and I'll get them for yer..
    Hope you like these.

Do you remember Wilbraham house on Scottie at the top of Wilbraham St opposite Paddy's market ?
    This piccie is looking down Wilbraham St toward Greaty and Tysons has just been demolished.
    The new white building at the bottom of the street is where the entrance to Paddys market was.
    The blue building extreme right is where Woolies was many moons ago.
    The Blue place to the left by the trees was the Lamplighter pub.

Bottom of Wilbraham st to the left looking north along Greaty.
    Next piccie taken outside the Kwiki looking at where Paddys market stood

What was the Lamplighter looking toward St Anne St
    Tysons was behind the hoardings to the right

Lamplighter to my right looking back along Greaty.
    Tysons to the left before it was demolished.

Scottie Rd from Comus st looking toward Holy Cross area with Leeds st centre picture leading up to Vauxhall rd

Byrom St looking toward Holy Cross and up Scottie Rd.
    The Byrom pub (The Pie shop) was where the plant machine is.

These next few piccies are taken from the St George's hill area on Netherfield Rd.

Looking North along Netherfield Rd..
    The Tugboat Pub centre picture now boarded up.

Looking down Prince Edwin st toward Fox st and Greaty.
    St Gregorys school (now Campion) to the right.

From the same place as last piccie looking to the right across my Liverpool.
    Yep..MYYYYYYYY Liverpool taken from my favourite place to take piccies.
    The Soho Arms pub was the white building right centre
    The 4 squares stood on the green grass area to the left of what was the Soho.

hope yer like em ozziebabs.

Last edited by Gerard; 06-12-2007 at 11:37 PM.

Really great pic,s Bring back some memories for me. The kwik save store
    used to look after the alarm in that. The pic showing the pub with the block
    of shops, I seem to remember a good chippy in that block. Many years ago
    1964 I was an apprentice TV engineer in Telefusions workshop which was
    in Conway street I think it was...

Great pics Gerard. The area is unrecognisable to me, I knew it well, for about a year 1958/9 I drove the delivery van for Clarksons at Mile End. It was nice to know scottie prior to the Tunnel construction.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Gerard

Thank's chaps..

Blog Entries

Great photos Gerard
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

That final picture already looks like a classic.

Well in Gerard.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I noticed a demolition team just off Scotland Road at Wright Street...maybe of interest, as there's an old building there with a date-stone.

Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    Watcha me heartys,

I don,t think Mr Sayle is even remotely in the top one hundred of presenters to do a job like that. He once said that Liverpool didn,t know the meaning of culture or something equally disparaging. Looks like he,s been chosen to take the shine off our success. It,s like asking the devil to show off heaven.

As for Phil Redmond doing it either, he doesn,t live in the city.

Now if you asked a proper Scouser like maybe Ricky Thomlinson, massive fee or not, he would be worth it.

Ricky Tomlinson would be great or another possibility might be poet Roger McGough who though he lives in London would tell the story with Scouse humour appropriate to the theme. He grew up in Litherland.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Yes perhaps Blackpool born hobo Rick (born Eric) might've been a good choice, he's probably forgotten more than most people know, having been on the trade Union circuit regarding industry closures on Merseyside. He did turn down a 5 figure sum to appear nude for a mag though so maybe his fee wouldn't be that massive if he can afford to turn dough away.

Wright Street, March 2007. There were workmen around the middle section of this derelict block, when I passed yesterday...maybe making it safe?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2563250...2934/?edited=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wright_Street_Date_March_2007.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	3747  

Smile Gerard

Some nice pictures of the area around the old Gerrard Gardens. It was always a good place in the 60's to pick up some last minute bombywood. The local residents were kind enough to source said material and spend many weeks gathering and placing it in the one location for our convenience. A couple of nights before the fifth, preferably after midnight on the fourth we would hasten to said location and help ourselves.

Where were you from Charley, that certainly didn't happen in the 70s

Ha ha.

Default Bomby Wood Memories.

Twas a cold and frosty November night when the gang of ill-dressed ragamuffins scampered through the moonlight. Up to the Gardens came the shout for there we will find all manner of booty. As a mere nippy-napper I scampered along excited to be going so very far away on such a cold night wearing the schools best shoes especially for the occasion. On and on down hill and up lane we travelled meeting many a person on our way and collecting here and yonder pennies from the from inebriated passers by. The main entrance to the gardens being guarded by large children with little spelling ability but mighty fists that had never held a pen had us scarpering for another entrance. On finding and loading with said bounty, the locals figuring out what was going on scurried to do battle most hastily. My bummeth squeaketh most surely. Then one of our number (the head boy if I do recollect most rightly) shouteth out " What is the longest river in the North American Continent, not including Canada" At this the youths stopped and began to scratch heads, one unkempt urchin tried counting fingers removing his green flash (stolen) pumps as he added his toes to the confusion. As we made away I heard a lonesome voice crying out in the distance " do man-made canals count in the final calculation" Oh how we laughed. And finally as we made our way back home we espied a baby in his pram, a curly, black haired mite with just the beginnings of a tache who as we passed threw his dummy at us from out of his pram. Look lads said the head boy young Ged has started already.

Ha ha Charley. Once that bummeth had squeketh, i'm sureth as hell that the smelleth alone would have alerted the mighty squad down yonder to the pilfering barefoot scoundrels and saw them off with (shiver me) timbers from the local warehousemen.

Interesting you say 'Up to the Gardens'

but later say.....

'On and on down hill and up lane'

I think you were lost myself

Would one have been coming up from Vauxy/Fonney Oy

or down from the Bully or 4 squares

Arrrey bee.
    Last edited by Ged; 11-09-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast