Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sefton Park railings

Go to

http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dser...Cmd=Search.tcl

and put "Aigburth Drive" into the search box and you'll find some pictures of Sefton Park's railings in all their glory from about 1902. I tried to paste them here but the pixel rating is too high.

My mother lived in Lark Lane during the war and remembers the salvage blokes removing them. They were too heavy to lift in sections and so were just smashed to bits with sledgehammers. Every scrap was taken, which is why the base stones are damaged. All railings had to go for the war effort unless they protected an area which would be dangerous to pedestrians if exposed, which is why the houses in Rodney Street retained theirs.

I took these shots a few days ago in Newsham Park.
    They look like the originals but have had the spikes taken of for H&S reasons I think.
    I lick of paint would do the proud.

Phredd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured 2007-4-13 00024 (Small).JPG 
Views:	334 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	2667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured 2007-4-13 00025 (Small).JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	2668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured 2007-4-13 00026 (Small).JPG 
Views:	320 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	2669  
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

Default Sefton Park Railings Survive

Quote Originally Posted by jimboy View Post
    yes a lot of railings where used for scrap in the war.
    Some of the railings still survive. There's some by the children's playground in Aigburth Vale; the site of the old Aigburth Vale Girls' School and some around a block of flats at the bottom of Greenbank Lane.

Default Kensington Fields Degeneration-New Deal No Deal

Kensington Fiedls was one of the few areas which had the cast iron railings in tact, because they had open drops to the cellars and during the war and the blackout they were scared people would fall downthe holes.

Anyhow we are talking in the past tense now as Kensington New Deal C7 and Liverpool City Council in their infinite wisdom have decided to remove all the old original surviving railings, (these had a variety of patterns based around rose adn other flower designs) with very cheap replicas, hmmmmm, oh yeah the council want it to be a conservation area, er.....hang on this doesnt make sense, better call for Warren Bradley to sort it out.

There is also a rumour that the original fences have been "sold on" for a nice sum of money. The people who live on the estate are also up in arms because the so called refurbishment of properties has been so badly done, the examples I was told about was interior work being inspected and passed without anyone entering the property (x-ray vision?) and un leaking roofs being reirbish then after the "work" starting to leak. each house has a set amount to spend adn I suspect what is happening is that the builders are getting away with what they can as cheaply as possible and then claiming as much as they can.

Default park gates and railings

Yes johno they were all taken for scrap the railings and big iron gates i think at the top of lark lane the pillars are still there that sealed lark lane off ,dont know if you know it a perimeter of a sand road used to go around the park and back before the war just the other side of the sand stone blocks ''footings for the railings ''and later the toffs who had ponys ect used to ride around this sand track we called it the jockey sand in those days hanging on the gates to the park was times of closing the park keepers would blow there whistles and you had to get out before they locked the big gates public parks were not so public those days,even princess park had private gardens for the local toffs the far side of the lake,the square holes you refer to are were the lead held the railings in place.joe

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Has anyone noticed that as you walk around the perimeter of sefton park the sandstone blocks that enclose the park from the Aighburth road entrance
    to ullett road have square holes on the top of the blocks. Does anyone know if at one time these held railings.Rumour has that they were taken down for the metal for the war effort at the start of the war. Anyone any ideas

Johno

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joe scouse View Post
    public parks were not so public those days,even princess park had private gardens for the local toffs the far side of the lake,the square holes you refer to are were the lead held the railings in place.joe
    Princes Park was built as a private park and later bought by Liverpool Corporation. The world's first municipal public park was Birkenhead Park, which Central Park in New York was based on.

Princes Park, Liverpool - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The best thing they ever did was take the railings down around Sefton Park. It opened the park out onto the surrounding roads.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Here in Chester, the governors of All Saint's Junior School in Hoole (where my kids went) actually removed their railings and hid them, only re-erecting them 'when the coast was clear' after the war.

The handsome Victorian school has, sadly, recently been handed over to private education, but at least its fine railings remain!
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12