Thread: WW2 Submarine online

Default WW2 Submarine online

http://www.nonplused.org/panos/uss_p...o/html/01.html

All I can say is this is Bloomin Fantastic

Not sure if anyone has posted this? Its a virtual tour of the USS Pampanito Submarine that saw action in WW2.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Blog Entries

Spike,
    Have just taken the tour,you're right, it is bloomin' fantastic,but so claustophobic. I could never have been a submariner,
    BrianD

Quote Originally Posted by brian daley View Post
    Spike,
    Have just taken the tour,you're right, it is bloomin' fantastic,but so claustophobic. I could never have been a submariner,
    BrianD
    Hi Brian

Yes it is a good one, great how they have put the site together.

I was wondering where did all the men fit. As you say its so small in there.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Thanks for the link, Spike,
    When I was young, I worked in the shipbuilding industry for several years, it was on submarines.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kids 026-2.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	656.5 KB 
ID:	16667
    Pamanito and Jeremiah O`Brien astern, on the right is Alcatrraz Island now a museum
    Hi,
    I have been onboard the `USS PAMPANITO`, She is on the same wharf as the `JEREMIAH O`BRIEN` the SAM boat Pier 43 I think. I go on them every time I go to Frisco.
    Fascinating place with all the preserved ships, such as the `BALCLUTHA` a barque from Glasgow, and the Humber ferry, the `Thingy Castle`, a side wheeler sailed all the way there alone, an epic voyage. and many other vessels.
    Well worth a visit, get a cheap flight to Frisco and it beats the hell out of Benidorm.
    There is another one in Darling Harbour, Sydney, one of the O Class subs.

We preserve nothing in the UK the way the Americans do.

When I was a kid (1944 vintage) my parents often commented about a sub being lost in Liverpool Bay. It was HMS Thetis. From what they told me there were no survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by chucklebutty View Post
    When I was a kid (1944 vintage) my parents often commented about a sub being lost in Liverpool Bay. It was HMS Thetis. From what they told me there were no survivors.
    Very true, a tragic accident. The loss of HMS Thetis in 1939 while she was on sea trials in Liverpool Bay, just prior to the Second World War, was a very sad event. I also have learned that conceivably the men could have been saved but were not for fear of compromising military secrets.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

There were 4 survivors Lt Woods,Stoker Arnold and 2 others who escaped 4 others died in the attempt using the same method. There were civilian companies who could have possibly helped but were not allowed to by the royal navy, preferring to wait for their rescue ship to be coaled up in Glasgow, before proceeding to Liverpool bay.

There is a good book "The Admiltary Regrets" which tells the whole sad story.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

A sad event, Thetis was eventually salvaged, bodies recovered from her and many of the victims buried at Holyhead. Thetis sailed again as HMS Thunderbolt, with a successful war record until she was lost in the Mediterranean in 1943. (Read this in on of the 'Echo's of Yesterday' that I still have).

Blog Entries

If my memory is still intact, I seem to recall that the commanding officer abandoned the boat using the Davis escape apparatus, and much was said, at the time, of this unusual occurrence. I mean, it is traditional for the captain to be last to leave, in the event of sinking by any means. I do remember that we used to say a prayer for the crew, at morning assembly.

The last time I was in the UK the HMS Plymouth and the submarine HMS Onyx were open for the public to take a look at on the Birkenhead side of the Mersey. It was well worth a look and I and I wonder if they are still there?

No I`m afraid that has closed down now (finances} with just the old German U boat exhibition at the ferry terminal
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a