Thread: marshall, carney, collins, morton, wilson

Talking marshall, carney, collins, morton, wilson

Hi all
    Just wondering if anyone can help me in my quest to find any info on michael carney, michael collins , george or john morton and even catherine collins or james marshall, and a francis wilson. all lived in liverpool in the late 1800's to early 1900's. and longer. Anyone out there connected to these people. There is a julia marshall married john williams also that i would like info on. And to add to the list i am tracing info on gaskins, jospehine gaskin in particular and her father michael gaskin.
    anyone able to help me in my quest??

The marshalls seem to be in upholstery and the collins seemed to be in the cab driving or owning business. They seemed all to have irish or scottish backgrounds and were probably all catholics. Have hear that the mortons may have had afro caribean connections but not sure about that for certain though i know they were originally from paisley in scotland.
    thanks

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Hi shirleya,

I checked both the 1881 & 1911 Kelly's street directories [they give name, trade & address] for 'James Marshall' & 'Michael Collins' - this being our best bet as they both have trades, but unfortunately no match.

Someone may have access to one of the directories around 1900 which was your original search date.

Also, is there a relationship between Catherine Collins & James Marshall?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

yes-they got married. ive done bits of those family history but just wondered if those families were remembered or known by anyone on the forum. Sometimes people have anecdotes or gossip etc and you never know on here-ive found out some amazing stuff in the past and liverpool though its big seems to be a community place. Not sure if wilson is a common name in liverpool but everybody in these families is mainly irish background or , with morton, scottish. Apparently there is a rumour also that mortons were mixed race a bit further back, or even afro carribean. not sure if thats correct though. Ive no idea how id find out if that was true. They lived in the toxteth area and also upper parliament street area of town i think. catherine marshall carried on with the cab business even though her husband had died. IOr was that catherine collins nee walsh. Not sure as there are so many michael's and catherines in these families, it gets confusing. And ive given my papers temporarily this week to a friend to make into a tree so im relying on my bad memory.

Blog Entries

Thanks, I saw the 1901 Census with 'Catherine Collins' & 'James Marshall' listed on it, which I guess you already have?

Have you checked the 1911 census yet?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Default MARSHALL CARNEY COLLINS MORTON WILSON

Quote Originally Posted by shirleya View Post
    Hi all
    Just wondering if anyone can help me in my quest to find any info on michael carney, michael collins , george or john morton and even catherine collins or james marshall, and a francis wilson. all lived in liverpool in the late 1800's to early 1900's. and longer. Anyone out there connected to these people. There is a julia marshall married john williams also that i would like info on. And to add to the list i am tracing info on gaskins, jospehine gaskin in particular and her father michael gaskin.
    anyone able to help me in my quest??
    THE MARSHALLS AND COLLINS I HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE OF AS THEY WERE MY HUSBANDS GRAND PARENTS ARE YOU FAMILY

hi shirleya i am new to all this so i hope this gets to you my husbands grandparents were marshall and collins we have done some research recently for family tree. Are you a relative as we have not come across anyone from your area

Default MARSHALL CARNEY COLLINS MORTON WILSON

hi shirleya hope yuo find this one im not sure i doing it correct as i am new to all this
    My husbands great grandparents were marshall and collins. Are you related in any way

willow11