Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: T Brown and Pryors - Two London Road Jewellers Shops

Default T Brown and Pryors - Two London Road Jewellers Shops

Closing down after 170 odd years at those premises - knew they'd been there for as long as I could remember as a kid. The famous round clock that juts out from the building with its red and blue neon sign is a memory from when I used to play around the steble fountain. Rosemary, the manageress, who is 73 started work there aged 14.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Hi Ged

Many thanks for this information. I thought for a few moments that Brown's might have been the name of a jewellers I dealt with in London Road a few times years ago but they aren't. The firm I am thinking of is Pryor's of London Road, on the south side, at 110 London Road, up by the equestrian statue of George III. They are an old established company as well and appear to be still there from what I can glean from the web. The establishment you have mentioned must be closer to Lime Street judging by their address of 12 London Road.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Browns is on the south side but down closer to the bottom of London Road near the 'Legs of Man' pub (now part of the Empire theatre). I bought my dad a Rotary watch from them. I have inherited the watch. I also bought a Sewells watch from them and would take it in to them for cleaning and any needed adjustments whenever I was home. I still have the Sewells and it keeps time as good as any modern quartz timepiece. Alas, Sewells, which was located on Cornhill, no longer make watches, however, they were the last remaining watchmaker in Britain. They were the makers of chronometres for the Royal Navy and fell on hard times when the RN switched to satelite navigation and didn't renew the contract with Sewells.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 02-26-2007 at 04:44 PM.
    Help find Madeleine

Default Pryors

Pryors changed owners a couple of years ago, sadly ending the Pryors family buisness after many years and heirs. Its a completely different shop now although the new owners like to use Pryors good name and reputation.Before It was like going into Aladdins cave with so many beautiful things,all decently priced.That magic has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Pryors changed owners a couple of years ago, sadly ending the Pryors family buisness after many years and heirs. Its a completely different shop now although the new owners like to use Pryors good name and reputation.Before It was like going into Aladdins cave with so many beautiful things,all decently priced.That magic has gone.
    Thanks for that information about Pryors jewellers, jimbo. When I was a teenager I bought a number of Roman coins there as well as a shilling of Edward VI and some old foreign coins as well.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Good stuff. There's a feature on it in tonight's Echo.

PhilipG

Lovely photos, Gerard.

It's a great clock.
    A true Liverpool Icon.
    Very unusual with that neon.
    Have a look inside the shop if you can.
    The ceiling is very art-deco.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Ged

Many thanks for this information. I thought for a few moments that Brown's might have been the name of a jewellers I dealt with in London Road a few times years ago but they aren't. The firm I am thinking of is Pryor's of London Road, on the south side, at 110 London Road, up by the equestrian statue of George III. They are an old established company as well and appear to be still there from what I can glean from the web. The establishment you have mentioned must be closer to Lime Street judging by their address of 12 London Road.

Chris

Just for you Chris..Pryors London Rd.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Lovely photos, Gerard.

It's a great clock.
    A true Liverpool Icon.
    Very unusual with that neon.
    Have a look inside the shop if you can.
    The ceiling is very art-deco.

Thank's Phil..I've been in there Loads of Times over the Years and Never Looked at the Ceiling !!

Always looking on the floor for dropped pennies.

Place called Radley just outside of Oxford City.

Cool

Amazing to see how that corner of London Rd looks now man!! I moved away from The Pool when I was 35, four years ago, and the old Legs of Man was managed by an uncle of mine called Tony Tynan, and we celebrated me mar and dars 25th anniversary in there upstairs in the function room. He then went on to manage The Lord Nelson just off London Rd. Anyway, so bleedin different in just 4 years!!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Just for you Chris..Pryors London Rd.

More great photos, Gerard.

Have you noticed the shop next door where the original front is partly exposed?
    It could be anything up to 100 years old.
    Would it be possible for you to take a zoom shot of it?
    Pretty please.
    My camera isn't capable.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Ged

Many thanks for this information. I

thought for a few moments that Brown's might have been the name of a jewellers I dealt with in London Road a few times years ago but they aren't. The firm

I am thinking of is Pryor's of London Road, on the south side, at 110 London Road, up by the equestrian statue of George III. They are an old established

company as well and appear to be still there from what I can glean from the web. The establishment you have mentioned must be closer to Lime Street judging

by their address of 12 London Road.

Chris
    Nice one Gerard
    Chris, when I was chatting to Gerard a few days back, I was getting

mixed up with Proyor's and T Brown's too.

I was telling Gerard that I can recall as a very young kid Pryor's having a display of shrunken heads in

their Greek St window. I kid you not! All I can remember was that the heads were South American. It's a bit like my memories of dwarf wrestling at Liverpool

Stadium, nobody else can recall that either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    More great photos,

Gerard.

Have you noticed the shop next door where the original front is partly exposed?
    It could be anything up to 100 years old.
    Would it be

possible for you to take a zoom shot of it?
    Pretty please.
    My camera isn't capable.
    doesn't the shop next door have an original

advertisment for Everton Toffees/mints ?

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Nice one Gerard
    Chris, when I was chatting to Gerard a few days back, I was getting mixed up with Proyor's and T Brown's too.

I was telling Gerard that I can recall as a very young kid Pryor's having a display of shrunken heads in their Greek St window. I kid you not! All I can remember was that the heads were South American. It's a bit like my memories of dwarf wrestling at Liverpool Stadium, nobody else can recall that either.

Ta Dave..Midgets on the Stadium !! have you banged yer Ead again !!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast