Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Anglican Cathedral

Default Liverpool Anglican Cathedral

Hi everyone, a few pics of my first visit to your great city last week, I really couldn't believe how big the anglican is in 'real life', goodness me!

Hiya Cilla ooeer I mean Mark. Great pic, did you say you have some more. Very impressive isn't it and holds a few records for highest vaults, heaviest peel of bells etc. The red sandstone quarried locally in Woolton.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Hiya Cilla ooeer I mean Mark. Great pic, did you say you have some more. Very impressive isn't it and holds a few records for highest vaults, heaviest peel of bells etc. The red sandstone quarried locally in Woolton.
    Hiya Ged, great to meet you, I put Cilla as an avatar for now being a daughter of Liverpool, love her personality, she's one of the lads!

I do have some more pics to come, being inside that bell tower was a bit eerie I can tell you, glad to read the stone was quarried locally, on another subject I was particularly impressed with the heavy-scale quarrying that happened which I noticed whilst on the train to Lime Street past Edge Hill, those navvies sure worked hard back in the day!

Inside the Lady Chapel, the first part to be completed, I couldn't believe I was there a 100 years to the day of it's consecration!

Henry the horse

Amazing pics,Mark.Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry the horse View Post
    Amazing pics,Mark.Nice one.
    Thank you Henry, I could have spent all day soaking up the history of the place, nice pot of tea too, all for £1.25!

The foundation stone, weighs four tons apparently!

Hi Mark and nice to meet you too. Massive isn't the word really is it. Monumental. There are many dedicated stained glass windows to the likes of Agnes Jones and Kitty Wilkinson as you've noticed. The Quarrying at Lime st station cutting is impressive and was done by Stevenson's men (of the Rocket fame) and these were interspersed with other tunnels dug by the men employed by Joseph Williamson aka the mole of Edge Hill. It might be worth you using the search facility on here (top right) as threads already exist for these subjects.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    Hi everyone, a few pics of my first visit to your great city last week, I really couldn't believe how big the anglican is in 'real life', goodness me!

Looks like a 300,000 tonner is at Tranmere.

The view 25 years ago from here would have been like a mini-Manhattan in the background with dense tower blocks.

Yep the cathedral is big. If in London it would dominate the city and be world renowned.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Hi Mark there are some more pics on the forum see
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...wer-Experience
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Hi Mark and nice to meet you too. Massive isn't the word really is it. Monumental. There are many dedicated stained glass windows to the likes of Agnes Jones and Kitty Wilkinson as you've noticed. The Quarrying at Lime st station cutting is impressive and was done by Stevenson's men (of the Rocket fame) and these were interspersed with other tunnels dug by the men employed by Joseph Williamson aka the mole of Edge Hill. It might be worth you using the search facility on here (top right) as threads already exist for these subjects.
    Will do Ged, I vaguely recall something about Edge Hill being one of the oldest rail stations in the world, but as you say I'm sure I'll read all about it on existing threads, so many to go through being a newbie!

Back to the subject of the Cathedral, I was intrigued about it taking 74 years to complete, can anyone tell me what the last few things to be completed were in say 1977 and 1978?

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    Hi Mark there are some more pics on the forum see
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...wer-Experience
    Hi gregs dad, nice to meet you and some beautiful pics on your link, I'm sure you would know, but whilst looking north from the Anglican beyond the Metropolitan there's a standard size red brick church on the top of a small sloping hill, in possibly the Everton area?..........I also noticed it on the right whilst on the train to Southport as it leaves the tunnel, it looks worth a visit and would have a fine view of the city, any ideas?

Blog Entries

Hi gregs dad, nice to meet you and some beautiful pics on your link, I'm sure you would know, but whilst looking north from the Anglican beyond the Metropolitan there's a standard size red brick church on the top of a small sloping hill, in possibly the Everton area?..........I also noticed it on the right whilst on the train to Southport as it leaves the tunnel, it looks worth a visit and would have a fine view of the city, any ideas?
    this church?
    St Georges

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Blog Entries

Will do Ged, I vaguely recall something about Edge Hill being one of the oldest rail stations in the world, but as you say I'm sure I'll read all about it on existing threads, so many to go through being a newbie!
    No that is Broad Green 1830. Edge Hill is the second station at that point. 1st 1830 , the current is 1836.

• The first underground section of Merseyrail metro with stations originated in 1886 - Mersey Railway, the world's second underground rail network.
    • The world's first deep-level underground railway - 1886. The Mersey Railways, which is now a part of the Wirral Line.
    • The oldest currently electrified section dates from 1848, from Kirkdale to near the old Exchange Station, now a part of the Northern Line.
    • The oldest diesel section dates from 1830, being a part of the original Liverpool-Manchester Passenger railway, now a part of the City Line. The oldest part of any urban railway in the world.
    • The world's oldest used railway station, Broad Green, dating from 1830, is on the Merseyrail network.
    • Merseyrail runs through the worlds oldest used tunnel at Edge Hill station - 1836.
    • Wapping Tunnel (1.26 miles). The first ever bored through a metropolis.

The tunnels:
    The Historic Tunnels

Back to the subject of the Cathedral, I was intrigued about it taking 74 years to complete, can anyone tell me what the last few things to be completed were in say 1977 and 1978?
    Just the north section.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

It is one the world's first iron framed buildings. 25 years ago you would not have seen it for tall towers. Look at:
    Liverpool - skyscrapers
    The church is also here.

how it once was?

That looks like ir robbo, cheers, looks a similar stone to that of the Anglican, thanks for the info about the tunnels waterways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast