Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Clocks

I wrote this in the Titanic-Marine Engineers Memorial thread--

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Could I be correct that as I was standing outside the Crowne Plaza smoking a Hamlet cigar at midnight that the clock on the Liver Building only struck "four" not "twelve"???? I had not had that much drink either.
    Well I was outside tonight at midnight again... and the Liver Building clock did only strike four times at midnight. But maybe it only has ever struck for the quarter hours and not the full number of strokes for the hour? That is, it strikes four times on reaching the fourth quarter. Anybody know?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Off topic a bit. Chris, seen a programme yesterday about The Ripper. A new suspect was named. A mortuary attendant. Never heard of the guy before.

George

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Off topic a bit. Chris, seen a programme yesterday about The Ripper. A new suspect was named. A mortuary attendant. Never heard of the guy before.
    And ripperoligist will always invoke a new suspect to keep the theorist of the ripper alive instead of accepting the fact that "JAmes MaybriCK"(JACK) is the killer,shortly after his death of arsnic poisoning all the murders stopped,all evidence was pointed towards him,all evidence that got destroyed was about him,he was in London at the time of these murders,ect,ect.

I saw that too, they took a different approach to the subject. I found it very interesting.
    When the smoke has cleared and the bullets cease.another soldier rests in peace. The politicians who caused the fight, rest at home no danger in sight

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    And ripperoligist will always invoke a new suspect to keep the theorist of the ripper alive instead of accepting the fact that "JAmes MaybriCK"(JACK) is the killer,shortly after his death of arsnic poisoning all the murders stopped,all evidence was pointed towards him,all evidence that got destroyed was about him,he was in London at the time of these murders,ect,ect.
    George, I thought he was completly discounted in this argument. I always understood it to be M J Druitt or some Russian guy. I suspect when the truth finally comes out we'll say 'Who!' Heard a good story about Dr Tumbletee too.

George

George, I thought he was completly discounted in this argument. I always understood it to be M J Druitt or some Russian guy. I suspect when the truth finally comes out we'll say 'Who!' Heard a good story about Dr Tumbletee too.
    When's the last time you read the ripper murders? he was the prime suspect,the truth will never come out as items and evidence have been lost/destroyed forever.
    The only time the real killer will be identified is when we find the key to take us back in time and thats gonna be like looking for Rocking horse manure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    When's the last time you read the ripper murders? he was the prime suspect,the truth will never come out as items and evidence have been lost/destroyed forever.
    The only time the real killer will be identified is when we find the key to take us back in time and thats gonna be like looking for Rocking horse manure.
    I'll wait for Chris on this George. I thought he was discounted a long time ago. I shall bow to your superior knowledge.

George

I'm still sceptical about this so called "The Diary" and its proposed author "MICHAEL BARRETT".

In his? confession here....
    http://www.casebook.org/suspects/jam...con.bjan5.html

he makes many mistakes in this confession,no I'm not well up on my Grammar but I know a mistake when I see it,so how can a man who writes like this come up with a manuscript so well laid out and fooling some of the ripperologist.

Spelling mistakes,punctuation,can't remember times and dates.

If you concoct something like this,everything is and should be documented in the event.

Hello Pablo and George

There's no particular reason to suspect mortuary assistant Robert Mann to have been the Whitechapel Murderer, so he seems a bit of a nonstarter. For one thing, since Mann was age 52 at the time of the murders he seems on the old side to suddenly begin Ripper-like murders.

As for Mike Barrett's "confession" to having written the Maybrick Diary, I agree it doesn't hold water.

The bombshell released at the "Maybrick Trial" at the Liverpool cricket club in May 2007 was that researcher Keith Skinner announced that he had some type of unspecified documentation that tied the Diary to Battlecrease House, 7 Riversdale Road, where Florence and James Maybrick lived and where he died, allegedly of arsenic poisoning in May 1889.

I don't know for sure, lacking Skinner's further explanation of what exactly the documentation he possesses comprises, but this might take us back to the original idea that electricians working on the house found it there, or else there's some other reason to tie the document to Battlecrease. In any case, that presumably precludes Barrett from involvement in writing the Diary circa 1992 before taking it to London literary agent Doreen Montgomery.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Chris, they seem to come up with new suspects for the Ripper regularly. Is there any more likely suspects gonna raise their heads. Wasn't there talk of a woman being the Ripper.

Hi Pablo

There's no real evidence against anyone.

Convicted murderess Mary Pearcey is sometimes spoken of as a possible suspect but would appear to be a long shot for the killer. There is a good discussion of the "Jill the Ripper" theory here:

http://www.casebook.org/suspects/jill.html

I do think it is a possibility that the Ripper escaped from 13 Miller's Court after killing Mary Jane Kelly on 9 November 1888 wearing her clothing. This is suggested by the fact that some clothes were burned in the grate. Of course that would be a man wearing women's clothing, most probably. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle suggested that the Ripper could have been a man dressed as a woman.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Pictures of the clock workings of the Municipal Buildings and the 5 bell chime (with 4 bells hung for full circle ringing on special occasions)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2157.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	11716

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2158.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	440.0 KB 
ID:	11717

Blog Entries

Nice one Cadfael.