Thread: Court case on Aerodrome truck accident + deaths - where to find?

Default Court case on Aerodrome truck accident + deaths - where to find?

Hello,

thought this was the best place to post - and any advice would be much welcomed.

my father worked in Liverpool in the 40's and 50's - mainly in the docks as far as i know. At one stage though - he worked on an airfield/aerodrome in the Lancashire area.

One evening while driving across the airfield, the truck overturned - killing a couple of men that travelled in the back. There was a court case subsequently, so presumably this was noted by local newspapers.

so my question is simple - but my facts are very flimsy.

how would i go about finding out where this incident occurred (local newspaper archives) and when? are court archives from this period yet accessible?

so many questions!

The Liverpool Records Office has microfiche of all the newspapers going back to the 1800's.
    It would help if you knew the date or close as you can to it. You then visually search through them !
    The aerodrome could have been Burtonwood.
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Burtonwood, Woodvale or Burscough to my knowledge but there will be more i'm sure.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

thanks guys

did not realise that i was not auto-receiving replies - so finding your responses 12 months later

looks like microfiche trawl might be the only answer; it would have been during the late war years (second) I think.

Also looking at some documents here - where it mentions him being employed by LOLT in late 1945 - any idea what those initials stand for? Is it something to do with the docks?

Asking ex seaman/dock worker/shipping stalwart here - he is wondering if the L.O. could be Liverpool Overhead - could the L.T. stand for Light Transport - not saying all 4 together as in Liverpool Overhead Light Transport but something along those lines?

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by snark View Post
    thanks guys

did not realise that i was not auto-receiving replies - so finding your responses 12 months later

looks like microfiche trawl might be the only answer; it would have been during the late war years (second) I think.

Also looking at some documents here - where it mentions him being employed by LOLT in late 1945 - any idea what those initials stand for? Is it something to do with the docks?
    Could someone have heard/transcribed wrong? Could it be "Holt"?