Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New World Square

Lightbulb

My opinion on this development has gradually changed over the past few months. At first I thought a tall development (20 storeys) would be ok, but now I think that a low rise development would be best. I am all for tall buildings such as the KE tower and Peel's plan for central docks, but I think a tall development that close to the Liver Building would seriously harm it's image and block out some of it's best views.

Yes AK1. I think this site should be just below the 'shoulder ' of the Liver Buildings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture2.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	4105  

kat2

I dont know its a difficult one to call, yes, if the new proposed high rise building was stunning, it would just make the liver buildings stand out even more, but the other side of this too, is it goes against council policy where they did say they wanted a stepped or steeped aproach to the waterfront views. perhaps something in Mirrored glass, dunno but something rather special that would have your jaw drop I think would enhance and compliment.
    same could have been argued about the other so called grace though couldnt it?
    Ive looked at some of the buildings on skyscrapercity in other countrys and i must say some are stunning and very creative.
    kat

Yes, you can't argue against quality and every new building should be great, but no matter how brilliant an individual design is, the waterfront should be a single composition enhancing the setting of the Crown Jewels ie the Three Graces and in particular the Liver Buildings, recognised around the world as a symbol of a great city, like the Statue of Liberty in New York or the Opera House in Sydney.

A great choir has only one leading voice.

I can't understand everyones fixation with the Liver building.
    I think its brutal and ugly, like something from soviet-era Moscow.
    Its a grey, rectangular office block and is not as old or "historic" as people seem to think and is only saved at all by the clock towers.
    I think if it didn't exist and someone wanted to build it nowdays, the likes of Wayne Colquhoun would be, once again, screaming sacrilege.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I can't understand everyones fixation with the Liver building.
    I think its brutal and ugly, like something from soviet-era Moscow.
    Its a grey, rectangular office block and is not as old or "historic" as people seem to think and is only saved at all by the clock towers.
    I think if it didn't exist and someone wanted to build it nowdays, the likes of Wayne Colquhoun would be, once again, screaming sacrilege.
    I think you have a point there. Liverpool has far more impressive and historic buildings than the Liver Building, but I think it's more what it symbolises than anything else. It symbolises our great industrial past and our reputation as a world port. There are buildings all over the city centre and beyond that are far more impressive and interesting than the Liver Building.

Absolutely Agree. It's not what it is that's important - it's what it represents that matters.

Even 'beautiful' Sydney Opera House is as ugly as sin close up because the sail design doesn't fit an opera house which is housed in a pink blob at the bottom.

You're contradicting yourself. You say every building should be great in one entry and then say its what it represents is what counts.
    I would love to see a skyscraper right by the Liver building. In my opinion, it wouldn't detract at all from what's there. Juxtaposition describes the context.

Blog Entries

£130m start date for large Pier Head project

BUILDING work on a spectacular waterfront development in Liverpool will finally get under way in September after protracted negotiations.

The £130m New World Square project was first mooted three years ago but has been subject to intense scrutiny due to its location at the heart of the city’s World Heritage site.

English Heritage and planners at the city have worked closely with developer Lead Asset Strategies to get the scheme off the drawing board.

The site lies opposite the cruise berth at Princes Dock and is next to the Royal Liver Building.

It is one part of two book- end projects at either end of the Pier Head, the other

being the homes and office development at Mann Island.

New World Square will include 362 apartments, an eight-storey five-star hotel, health spa, restaurant and commercial office suites.

It will also feature a dramatic rooftop observatory, public piazza and 380 subterranean car parking spaces.

News that the scheme will finally be under way comes just 48 hours after the Daily Post revealed that the 376 apartments at Mann Island have been block-sold in Liverpool’s biggest ever residential deal.

Martin Green, partner at King Sturge and broker of the £70m Mann Island transaction, said: “This is more great news about another fantastic development in Liverpool. It always amazes me just how much negativity there is about the number of apartments being built.

“These top-drawer schemes on the waterfront just demonstrate the great demand for high-quality schemes. The fact that serious developers are interested in investing in Liverpool shows the true state of the market.

“The first day we started marketing Mann Island, we had immediate interest that resulted in a block sale to Dylan Harvey although it took some time to negotiate the final details.

“I expect similar high interest in New World Square when we launch that later in the year. Those two, together with One Park West in the Grosvenor development, make up a triumvirate of unsurpassable waterfront schemes.”

Mann Island consists of three wedge shaped blocks containing offices and apartments. More than half of the apartments have already been reserved.

The two schemes will lie at either end of the Graces on the Pier Head. At the same time, construction work is continuing on the Leeds Liverpool Canal extension project along the waterfront, which is now two thirds complete with the Pier Head section due to be finished in August.

Martin Clarke, regeneration manager for British Waterways, said: “One of the biggest challenges is how closely the scheme integrates with adjacent developments. This is a tough engineering task and requires negotiation between project managers and contractors.”

The Pier Head section will be complete in August, just before New World Square gets under way.

Liverpool Daily Post
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Hi Kev
    Last edited by toby; 06-12-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Image from here :

Thumbs up

I think this development should be ok and will probably look better in real life than on the artist impression. The height and shape seem just right, not too big.

Blog Entries

Not too imposing I agree... but it's still a horrid glass-and-steel box. It looks like it'll be made from Meccano!

Has this started at last,or has it been delayed again?

Dave.

Blog Entries

The scheme isn't dead and buried afterall...

read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234