Page 12 of 101 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

I didn't know that Mark. Was it a move that was on the cards anyway and it was just a remarkable co-incidence that it came about next day or did the murder next door influence the move either because they felt spooked, in danger or had something to hide? How easy was it to move just like that, was it from and to a private landlord for instance?

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Hi Ged

The file seems somewhat incomplete which is a disappointment. I suppose anything that old is certainly going to lose pieces of it (with World War II) and all that. Yes, I agree with you regarding Tom Slemen's book (re: the Johnstons). I know he told me a few years ago that some very odd things happened in the Johnstons house after the murder. Don't know what he means about that to be honest - (and where he got the information). I'm not sure whether he means on the murder night or afterwards. If he does mean afterwards he must be referring to 358 Townsend Avenue. The Johnstons moved there the next day.
    it must have been quite exciting to actually have access to the file....would love to read your book....

Default Johnstons

Hi Ged & DaisyChains

Yes apparently the Johnstons moved the next day. I have always tended to think that maybe they were spooked like you say. Surely if they were guilty of the murder they wouldn't want to make it look suspicious as in moving away. But who knows? Maybe panic? The police didn't seem to investigate the Johnstons at all (as suspects). 358 Townsend Avenue was the home of their eldest daughter.

The file was quite interesting yes. No statements of Parry's though...The photographs of Julia on the mortuary slab are quite disturbing.

Mark

A couple of the books i've read are lacking photos of the areas surrounding the case which you have an ample supply of. They'd certainly enhance any publication.

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    A couple of the books i've read are lacking photos of the areas surrounding the case which you have an ample supply of. They'd certainly enhance any publication.
    I agree with you Ged.
    There are alot of descriptions of the places around Wolverton Street but not many pics.
    I love the pic of the telephone box...that's a true gem

DaisyChains

Chippie-
    No problem

Ged-
    Yeah, it's a good film. Good to see that they used a lot of the actual dialogue that was in the trial transcription (with the exception of Mrs. Johnston using the phrase "Julia would go mad if she saw this" - (it was actually Wallace who said it) but I suppose I'm grabbing at straws!! As you say, great film though - very atmospheric.
    HI MARK
    how did you go about ordering this film?
    Ive been on the website but can't see an order form!

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I've got that one, quite good isn't it.
    hiya ged
    where did you get your copy from?

Hi Ged

The file seems somewhat incomplete which is a disappointment. I suppose anything that old is certainly going to lose pieces of it (with World War II) and all that. Yes, I agree with you regarding Tom Slemen's book (re: the Johnstons). I know he told me a few years ago that some very odd things happened in the Johnstons house after the murder. Don't know what he means about that to be honest - (and where he got the information). I'm not sure whether he means on the murder night or afterwards. If he does mean afterwards he must be referring to 358 Townsend Avenue. The Johnstons moved there the next day.
    Like furniture moving around by itself perhaps?
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post

hiya ged
    where did you get your copy from?
    I taped the film off Channel 4 many moons ago.

If the book you read is by Murphy it is The Murder of Julia Wallace. Jonathan Goodman wrote the book The Killing of Julia Wallace. I watched The Man From The Pru for the umpteenth time last night! I recently managed to get access to the Wallace Case File at Merseyside Police. Some interesting material amongst it. I hope to write a book on the case. In fact I have been for nigh on two years!

Mark
    Yes that's great, Mark, that you gained access to the Wallace Case File at Merseyside Police. I bet that was fascinating. I do wish you the best with your book project. I look forward to getting a signed copy.

I have a VHS tape of The Man From The Pru -- last time I checked it's not available on DVD. In fact I think it is still not on DVD if you look at the symbols for the flick on the Internet Movie Database. I believe I got my copy of the videotape on ebay as I recall.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Tried to email you back Daisy but it came back to me as 'undeliverable'.

Default The Man From The Pru

Thanks Chris, Ged & DaisyChain

I wrote to the company (Liverpool Artistes) and ordered it through the post directly from them. Is the address on their site? If not, I'll have a look through my records and see if I can get the address.
    The film was actually filmed in Wolverton Street (not at number 29 though). The company saw that number 10 was being renovated and they used that instead! Rob Rohrer (the director) actually originates from Anfield and he said he always wanted to do a movie version. Allison Daly (who plays the young girl Vicky Foster in the film) was actually 17 but played the part of a 12 year old. Allison ended up working for...wait for it...the company that originally defended Wallace and known as; Herbert J Davis, Berthen & Munro! The tram scenes used in the film were filmed in Fleetwood.

I hope that Who Killed Julia Wallace? will one day be shown again. This was made by Yorkshire TV in 1975 and screened October 29th 1975. If I am right it was shown again in the early 80's. They actually shot in the Anfield area. Very good show but I didn't agree with the outcome.

Mark

Default police files

So if there are no statements from Parry in the case files where did James Murphy see his statement?
    All The Best
    Steve

DaisyChains

Thanks Chris, Ged & DaisyChain

I wrote to the company (Liverpool Artistes) and ordered it through the post directly from them. Is the address on their site? If not, I'll have a look through my records and see if I can get the address.
    The film was actually filmed in Wolverton Street (not at number 29 though). The company saw that number 10 was being renovated and they used that instead! Rob Rohrer (the director) actually originates from Anfield and he said he always wanted to do a movie version. Allison Daly (who plays the young girl Vicky Foster in the film) was actually 17 but played the part of a 12 year old. Allison ended up working for...wait for it...the company that originally defended Wallace and known as; Herbert J Davis, Berthen & Munro! The tram scenes used in the film were filmed in Fleetwood.

I hope that Who Killed Julia Wallace? will one day be shown again. This was made by Yorkshire TV in 1975 and screened October 29th 1975. If I am right it was shown again in the early 80's. They actually shot in the Anfield area. Very good show but I didn't agree with the outcome.

Mark
    Thanks Mark.
    Interesting info.
    I will write to the company. Seems a bit neanderthal when they have a website, but no email! But I am desperate to see the film so I shall...

Best of luck with the book!

Default The Man From The Pru

Hi DaisyChains

Here's the contact details (in case you don't know them):

LIVERPOOL ARTISTES P.O. BOX 61 LIVERPOOL L13 OEF
    CONTACT US: 0789 606 1382.

Hi Steve

Yes, I am trying to find out where the Parry, Young & Marsden statements are.

Page 12 of 101 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast