Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1511

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

  1. #1
    Senior Member SteH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Childwall, Liverpool
    Posts
    611
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    A great book by James Murphy - very well written and it transports you back in time as though you were there - very atmospheric.

    Advertisements -------

    There was a film made too. The man from the pru and a dramatisation with Geoffrey Yates in it as a copper.

    It would appear from a Radio City programme I remember listening to that a Richard Gordon Parry was responsible for the murder but died in Wales just as they were about to interview him.

    Vincent Burke does a good take on the case in his crimes dvd but leaves it unclosed, not even mentioning the Parry connection which I found disappointing.
    I've read that book Ged, really enjoyable. Am I right in remembering that Murray concluded by saying Wallace was the murderer and had got the timing absolutely spot on, discrediting the evidence of a milk or paper boy by saying he could have misread the clock when saying what time he had seen Julia alive.

    The man From the Pru was released on video in USA but doesnt appear to have been done so here.

  2. #2
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Ste, I dunno what Murray said mate cos my book's by Murphy - I know, I know nit pickin' agen - soz ha ha.

    Yeah, it was such a good book up to that last chapter, then he let me down by actually saying he thought it was Wallace but the thought of him in the nak doin' his arl girl then having to get a bath and dried when there was no evidence for this was too much for me to believe, especially with the way Parry acted that night in the garage with the bloodied glove and what he said to the young apprentice. Just goes to show you that the garage owner must've known all along but kept schtum just because Parry was a 'good customer'

    Wallace was a stoic character and his calmness made him even more of a suspect, I mean who sits there calmly lighting a ciggie unless she's gonna be insured for a million and it's coming your way?

  3. #3
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    I've read that book Ged, really enjoyable. Am I right in remembering that Murray concluded by saying Wallace was the murderer and had got the timing absolutely spot on, discrediting the evidence of a milk or paper boy by saying he could have misread the clock when saying what time he had seen Julia alive.

    The man From the Pru was released on video in USA but doesnt appear to have been done so here.
    I remember watching it on TV, but whether it was called "The Man from the Pru" or whether it was a documentary, I can't remember.

  4. #4
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Philip, you're no good in the witness box, you may be excused

  5. #5
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Philip, you're no good in the witness box, you may be excused

  6. #6
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default

    Take a look at this guys.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097822/

    a bit about the film.
    I had never heard of it. Now I am desperate to see it!! grrr!

  7. #7
    Senior Member shytalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pocahontas.Arkansas. U.S.A.
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I saw it over here a few years ago, was pretty good, seemed well researched to put it in the right timeframe.
    Would recomend it.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

  8. #8
    Help find Madeleine Sloyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Does anyone have a copy of Murphy's book, on the Julia Wallace, murder for sale? I would be interested in purchasing a copy. I check with Amazon on a regular basis but it show's 'unavailable'. Thanks in advance.

  9. #9
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    Does anyone have a copy of Murphy's book, on the Julia Wallace, murder for sale? I would be interested in purchasing a copy. I check with Amazon on a regular basis but it show's 'unavailable'. Thanks in advance.
    Sloyne.Type this into Ebay.."MURDER CASEBOOK 25 JULIA / WILLIAM WALLACE"
    Dont know if its what your after though

  10. #10
    Help find Madeleine Sloyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Sloyne.Type this into Ebay.."MURDER CASEBOOK 25 JULIA / WILLIAM WALLACE"
    Dont know if its what your after though
    Thanks Gerard but, no, that's not the one. The book I am after is 'Murder of Julia Wallace' by James Murphy. But, and again, thanks for your assistance.

  11. #11
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    Thanks Gerard but, no, that's not the one. The book I am after is 'Murder of Julia Wallace' by James Murphy. But, and again, thanks for your assistance.
    Your welcome Sloyne.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Hi all

    There has been quite a bit of discussion of the Julia Wallace murder case on Casebook: Jack the Ripper, including recently a photograph posted of the house, 29 Wolverton Street, and the back entry behind the house that William Wallace is thought to have used to catch the tram to the mythical Menlove Gardens East. Go to

    http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=30

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  13. #13
    Senior Member SteH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Childwall, Liverpool
    Posts
    611
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    There's an interesting Guardian article here which includes an interview with the current occupant of the house.

  14. #14
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi all

    There has been quite a bit of discussion of the Julia Wallace murder case on Casebook: Jack the Ripper, including recently a photograph posted of the house, 29 Wolverton Street, and the back entry behind the house that William Wallace is thought to have used to catch the tram to the mythical Menlove Gardens East. Go to

    http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=30

    Chris

    Thank you so much for the link Chris.

    This case has intrigued me for years and I took a couple of hours reading all 25 pages last night, digesting and dissecting all the information.

  15. #15
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Thank you so much for the link Chris.

    This case has intrigued me for years and I took a couple of hours reading all 25 pages last night, digesting and dissecting all the information.
    Thanks, Ged. The Wallace case is certainly known as a classic crime story for the reason that William Herbert Wallace's alibi seemed so strange and unlikely, although I do think there might have been an opportunity for Parry or someone else to have committed the crime.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Court case on Aerodrome truck accident + deaths - where to find?
    By snark in forum Work and Industry in Liverpool
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 12:00 AM
  2. Tuebrook Murder
    By Kev in forum Liverpool East
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68