Thread: Any new liverbirds on the new buildings?

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

Default Any new liverbirds on the new buildings?

Sadly not.

It seems to be a tradition which has died out.

But it wouldn't take much for the council to resurrect the fate of our silly-looking wader by making it's appearance mandatory in some form or other on every new building in the city. Hurrah!

Time for a worthwile petition or what?

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...7094449&size=o

Thats not a too old building but don't know the date.

Some Wall of a building In Roscoe Street.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

A good idea, it amazes me that many of the still standing buildings in our city contain a Liver Bird, PLUS The Coat Of Arms. Why did it happen back then anyway? Where developers told to put them on?

You would think in 2007 (800th B'day) that including The Oat of Arms on a new build wouldn't be too much trouble.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Watch out for a whole new set of Liver Birds on Uni buildings, the new logo makes them look like pelicans
    We think someone in IT let their kids have a go at photoshop and it looks like they resized the old one without maintaining the ratio aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    A good idea, it amazes me that many of the still standing buildings in our city contain a Liver Bird, PLUS The Coat Of Arms. Why did it happen back then anyway? Where developers told to put them on?

You would think in 2007 (800th B'day) that including The Oat of Arms on a new build wouldn't be too much trouble.
    I think in those days of local builders, local developers, local firms etc there was a real sense of proud city-building by these investors based on competing, and differentiating, yourself from other cities.
    There was a notion that the fortunes of the city, and the fortunes of the people in that city were a part of the fortunes of the enterprise, i.e. the idea that we were all in this together.

Given the multinational nature of investment in the modern age, it's not surprising that these outsiders aren't perhaps as 'in touch' with the notion of a localised identity.

This, however, shouldn't be too much of a problem as we theoretically have things called 'councils' who can remind them...er yeah..
    Last edited by The Teardrop Explodes; 02-12-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Hi Teardrop

I agree that the appearance of the Liver Bird on the older buildings in Liverpool is a measure of the civic pride felt by locally based builders.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I remember reading about a Liver Bird being saved off the Old Sailors Home that they were going to incorporate somewhere into the new development but I haven't heard nothing about it for ages.

Remember when they were on every green Corpy bus, even the bus conductors / ticket collectors used to have them on their jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by mottman View Post
    Remember when they were on every green Corpy bus, even the bus conductors / ticket collectors used to have them on their jackets.
    I'd love to see those badges/patches....

Might make their appearance in the new museum, you never know.

Default Sailors Home, and new Liver Birds

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I remember reading about a Liver Bird being saved off the Old Sailors Home that they were going to incorporate somewhere into the new development but I haven't heard nothing about it for ages.
    I think Paul D is thinking of "The Pooley Gates" , and a Search for that in Yo Liverpool would help him. If I'm not mistaken they were a pair of gates from the Sailors Home in Canning Place, and they ended up in the Midlands, and the council there is not too keen to let us have them back.

I have been trying to get the city to provide another Liver Bird, full size, in the city centre. too big to do ON a building, it would sit well somewhere in the Liverpool One area, or somewhere by the new Stadium.
    Do have a look at my web-page about the idea.
    http://www.gerryjones.talktalk.net/lyver1.html

Another one that dont fly >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The pic is also on another thread

Blog Entries

well spotted!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Jones View Post
    I think Paul D is thinking of "The Pooley Gates" , and a Search for that in Yo Liverpool would help him. If I'm not mistaken they were a pair of gates from the Sailors Home in Canning Place, and they ended up in the Midlands, and the council there is not too keen to let us have them back.

I have been trying to get the city to provide another Liver Bird, full size, in the city centre. too big to do ON a building, it would sit well somewhere in the Liverpool One area, or somewhere by the new Stadium.
    Do have a look at my web-page about the idea.
    http://www.gerryjones.talktalk.net/lyver1.html

Nope, Paul D is correct. They have stored these stones at the Heritage Centre in Edge Hill.

Default A very old bird finds a new Liverpool Home

As part of the redevelopment of the site of St Thomas's Church on Paradise Street by Grosvenor, the site has now been laid out as a memorial garden to all those who are buried there including Joseph Williamson.

The centre piece of the garden is a carved stone replica of the Liver Bird which once adorned the Sailors Home on Paradise Street and which I helped top save and was temporarily stored at the Williamson Tunnels Heritage Centre during the construction of Liverpool One.

Hi P,great that at least, the Liver bird emblem was saved,but a pity that more of the doorway ornamentation wasn't stored more effectively! This was stolen during construction of Liverpool 1,after being left out in the open for some years!