Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holidays Past

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Thats all you need Ste isnt it...Somewhere as a base to Explore..Must have a Decent Club though and a Nice Pint of Draught Guinness !!
    Yep Gerard, decent pubs is all thats needed. Had to walk past the church to get to them so thought I may as well get a quick shot of that as well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Browns Club.JPG 
Views:	348 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	2121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winkies.JPG 
Views:	318 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	2122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seagull.JPG 
Views:	310 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	2123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sandy Bay.JPG 
Views:	321 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	2124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Towyn Church.JPG 
Views:	300 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	2125  

WHen my kids were younger I had an old JU van which I used for work during the week.
    At the weekend Anita and I would clear the back of the van of the builders rubbish and tools and throw in the three piece suite.
    THe kids would be bouncing on the furniture all the way Rhyl or Blaenau Ffestiniog. and sleeping all the way home.
    Wouldn't the Welsh police love that nowdays!

great memories,

I started off in Towyn too, Roberts caravan park I think it was called and then on to Winkups next door, which had a family bar called Winkies !

there was a great big pub with a sort of upsatirs terrace area called The Wendover where we used to have a couple of halves of lager before hitting the 'Downtown' nightclub in Rhyl,

it was just at the start of the punk era and I'll never forget seeing a girl with a pin in her nose for the first time, ansd she had a leccy kettle for a handbag !

if only I knew how to get my pic's on, I only came across them at the weekend when I was clearing out, I had dungarees and T shirt on and a dodgy perm !

Linda

The Wendover pub is still there.

I remember 'Winkies' too. .. Winkups was just along from 'Happy Days' and 'The Black Cat' .. another well known place in Towyn was 'Millers Cottage' - caravan site and social club.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    The Wendover pub is still there.

I remember 'Winkies' too. .. Winkups was just along from 'Happy Days' and 'The Black Cat' .. another well known place in Towyn was 'Millers Cottage' - caravan site and social club.

Millers Cottage and the Black Cat are still there, don't know of Happy Days though

Default Memories of Talacre

We started off in Tyn-y-Morfa, on the Warren, in an old wooden bungalow in Happy Valley (Anyone remember?) No inside loo and we had to get the water in a bucketfrom the tap at the end of the path but waht fabulous memories! Then we went up in the world to Talacre - mum and dad bought a right old-fashioned caravan on 'Taylor's Field' (one large field and 3 horses) There were 6 caravans on it, then they built some toilets, a little shop, a small club etc, etc. We progressed with bigger caravans till mum died in 1986. In all we went there for 30 years. Today it's called Talacre Beach Caravans and you need loads of money to be able to afford some of the vans there now. There's a big swimming pool & leisure club. It's still owned and managed by Mr. Taylor's daughter, Rosanna.

We used to walk up the 'Devil's Elbow' from the main road, up to Gwespyr where my brother and I would sit outside the Talacre Arms with a bag of Smith's crisps and a bottle of lemonade. No car in those days, we walked for miles and as kids we knew every inch of the Talacre/Gronant/Tyn-Y-Morfa area. I could go on and on but I'll save it for next time.

Nice holiday memories

I remember staying on a caravan site in Anglesey called Plas Coch. It was 1960s and the caravan we stayed in was the old fashioned type with gas lights and no running water or toilet. We had to go to the washrooms (a concrete block) and we had to carry water in one of those big plastic containers.

How times have changed though. Here is Plas Coch now rather more upmarket :
    http://www.plascochholidayhomes.co.uk/history.html

it is advertised on tv now too.

Winkies is being taken over by Lyons Robin Hood.
    It is Accomplished

When I was a baby we went to my grandparents caravan which was on Ferry Lane in Chester (took ages to get there from the Dingle !), then we started going to the Isle of Mann as my Dad had an Aunty there in Onchen, many happy days spent on the beach where the whole family Aunts Uncles cousins would all get deck chairs and sunbathe, wierd now though the men wore suits, long sleeved shirts which they would roll up !.

We also used to spend my childhood holidays in a caravan in Anglesey

Cant for the life of me remember the name....but it was always fun..dad used to hire a car for the two weeks and off we went ......

Then one yr we went up market and hired a yellow bungalow....I would have been nine yrs of age..the whole trip there we sang 'we all live in a yellow bungalow'..to the tune of 'we all live in a yellow submarine'

That sadly was to be our last family holiday as my mom died the following year....I was too young to know she was ill and this was dads way of making it a special holiday for her....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123