Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walton 70's & 80's

Default Walton 70's & 80's

Anyone remember:

Openshaws chippy with coal fired range and newspaper wrapped fish and chips?

Abby from Cedardale Stores, top bloke, there for decades?

Tesco and Co-Op on Rice Lane?

The OxO park in its floral glory?

Mrs Young's shop by the Rec?

The throttle's nest and Atlas cinema leading to an old cobbled street then to Walton Hall Park?

The camera shop opposite Walton Church?

That'll do for now I guess, lots of memories!!

Pennylane

Was Mrs Youngs shop on the corner of Rumney Road and Fonthill road , a little red shop ?
    My Nanna lived in Fontill road , i remember the Rec very well . We used to go there in the school holidays and they'd have the play centre open , it was great ..
    I don't Rice Lane at all , because we never ventured that for away . The Oxo gardens sounds interesting though , where was it situated ?

All before my time i'm afraid but the Oxo park rings a bell, someone must have mentioned it to me,

Where is/was it?

"Openshaws chippy with coal fired range and newspaper wrapped fish and chips?"

There's one of them in the museum of liverpool life, the last surviving one I think.
    I'm sure someone will put me right !
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

here's a pic from the web of it ...
    http://travel.webshots.com/photo/132...K?vhost=travel
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Blog Entries

Nice one Martin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
    "Openshaws chippy with coal fired range and newspaper wrapped fish and chips?"

There's one of them in the museum of liverpool life, the last surviving one I think.
    I'm sure someone will put me right !
    There was a chippy on Rice Lane, opposite Stalmine Road, was that Openshaws? Would sometimes get something from there when on a late shift at Dunlops. If you asked for a pie and he didn't have one hot, he'd chuck it in the fryer to heat through. Disgusting, now I think about it, but it was common at the time.
    That would have been 1971/72.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
    Was Mrs Youngs shop on the corner of Rumney Road and Fonthill road , a little red shop ?
    My Nanna lived in Fontill road , i remember the Rec very well . We used to go there in the school holidays and they'd have the play centre open , it was great ..
    I don't Rice Lane at all , because we never ventured that for away . The Oxo gardens sounds interesting though , where was it situated ?
    Mrs Youngs was on Birchdale Road between Ashdale and Evered Ave. I remember she used to make ice lies herself in plastic moulds with orange or cola and sell them for 2p I think. Just a little traditional sweet shop.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    There was a chippy on Rice Lane, opposite Stalmine Road, was that Openshaws? Would sometimes get something from there when on a late shift at Dunlops. If you asked for a pie and he didn't have one hot, he'd chuck it in the fryer to heat through. Disgusting, now I think about it, but it was common at the time.

Yep, that was it. I do remember the pie in the fryer thing and it was common. From what I can remember they were a married couple and were there for a good few years. One of the last traditional chippy's in the area I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Slightly off topic, whenever me ma got a cheese pie from the chippy she always used to get it 'in the fat' Gotta admit as bad as it was health wise, it was much nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoobarb View Post
    All before my time i'm afraid but the Oxo park rings a bell, someone must have mentioned it to me,

Where is/was it?
    Oxo park is a little park surrounded by the terraced houses on Stalmine, Firdale and Willowdale Roads. Got it's knickname due to the shape of the lawns, not sure if it has a formal name. Used to be lovely years ago with flower beds, lawns, shrubbery and benches but is a shadow of it's former self now with broken railings, burnt grass, graffiti etc etc.

Similar park is Devonfield Gardens in Orrell Park which is still kept nice.

I remember the Co-Op on Rice Lane very well....Mums number was 162670 and she was always sending me down there to get stuff..." Don't forget the Divvy " she used to yell at me as I went out the door! The shop had those overhead money things where the staff put your cash in pulled a lever and the contraption shot across the store to be returned a minute or so later with the change and your receipt!...Cool.
    I remember the Throstles nest as well...Used to walk to school ( Alsop ) that way sometimes in the Summer so I could save the bus fare and get a Chelsea bun from the bakers at the top of Rice Lane!...
    The OxO park was pretty similar to the one in Devonfield Road where I lived...Very nicely kept as I remember! There was a weird guy who used to hang about round the Oxo...In fact his nick-name WAS OXO...Used to wear big lace up almost blood-red boots and he'd could often be seen wandering around the Rec. by Hartleys hill!...All us kids were terrified of him!
    Negotium Perambulans in Tenebris

Quote Originally Posted by Lan02 View Post
    Oxo park is a little park surrounded by the terraced houses on Stalmine, Firdale and Willowdale Roads. Got it's knickname due to the shape of the lawns, not sure if it has a formal name. Used to be lovely years ago with flower beds, lawns, shrubbery and benches but is a shadow of it's former self now with broken railings, burnt grass, graffiti etc etc.

Similar park is Devonfield Gardens in Orrell Park which is still kept nice.
    It wasn't always it was in a right state when I moved to Orrell Park.

I remember going to the 'Red Pepper' night club on Rice Lane.
    A friend of mine worked in 'Clarkes' butchers , Terry Lunt , he lived in Northcote Road,
    not seen him for ages, love to know what hes doing now

Went round Orrell Pk a few weeks back and park looked nice then do maybe they've not long re-done it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast