Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unadopted Roads

Blog Entries

At least with this thread we can bring all the unadopted roads together like one big happy family, poor things.....

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

what a coincidence!, while getting those mini photos for Kev. I came across these from when CDS were setting up the housing co op

Those little houses were known as The Scotch Cottages, I believe they were built for the workers (builders mainly from Scotland)

looking back to what was to become Marantos..........and an added bonus for Kev. a Mini Clubman

Feel free to move these pictures to a more appropriate place as I'm still finding my way around the forum.

Blog Entries

^^They are great where they are and relevant, especially the mini clubman!^^
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default king john

leda grove is a charming and quaint little known place, all throughout the year. however come summer time it is ablaze with an abundance of greenery and flowers.the residents are to be applauded for their potted displays. who needs adoption if this is their standard.

Default Higson Ct, Bosnia St, off Dingle Mount, Toxteth

Interesting 1980 mixed use development : family homes and old people's retirement flats
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Higson Ct area Dingle Mount Toxteth  190307 001.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	1766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Higson Ct area Dingle Mount Toxteth  190307 003.jpg 
Views:	224 
ID:	1767  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Interesting 1980 mixed use development : family homes and old people's retirement flats
    Spot on Taffy
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    what a coincidence!, while getting those mini photos for Kev. I came across these from when CDS were setting up the housing co op

Those little houses were known as The Scotch Cottages, I believe they were built for the workers (builders mainly from Scotland)
    Hi Kev and Billo

You might be right that those little cottages were built at the end of the court purposely and there was nothing there in the spot before they were built, although in a lot of courts, the far end of the court was originally where the privies were. So I wonder if those little cottages might have replaced privies at those locations? Just a thought.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

The green doors on the right was the garage of S&R Smyths Removals Ltd where I worked as a driver for a while. The vans were away all over the country all week but on Friday night about six had to be reversed in there and they were all longer than the street was wide. Just opposite, where the red wagon is now was a little shop and it got smacked into pretty regularly while all the shunting was going on.

Default Homer St off Cockburn St Dingle Toxteth L8

Homer St Dingle is an interesting short length of road which whilst unadopted has recently been resurfaced by the look of it. Not sure who the "GWF scum" graffitti refers to !!

The houses on the Homer St side of Cockburn street have been demolished to make way for a new urban park in the Dingle. Only one terraced house survives having been incorporated into the Bleak House pub. These houses probably dated form the 1850s or. Those streets on the other side of Cockburn Street which slope steeply down to Grafton St date from around 1910.

It interesting to note that similar houses to those demolished survive elsewhere in Liverpool for example in Woolton. Why should one area's houses be demolished and another's survive. The question is still being asked today with the demolition of the so called "Welsh Streets" in the Prince's Park area of Toxteth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homer St off Cockburn St Dingle Toxteth 114.jpg 
Views:	215 
ID:	1939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homer St off Cockburn St Dingle Toxteth15.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	1940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bleak House pub Cockburn St Dingle 124.jpg 
Views:	250 
ID:	1941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bleak House pub Cockburn St Dingle  126.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	1942  

Gnomie

The road we lived in as kids was very long yet our little bit(just a few houses) was unadopted. im not telling you where it is cos me dad lived there until last may when he passed away and i dont want to see pics of the house. still if you really want to know Kev..PM me. but promise not to post the pic.

I recall you could not get cable TV in unadopted roads. has this changed?

Steven

The date on the deeds of my house (off Cockburn Street, sloping down to Grafton Street) say 1906. It has survived two major wars. Most of the people around here would survive quite happily without the 'Bleak House.'

But the 'Phoenix' is a different matter. They toucha our pub, we smakka them gobs.

Sounds like you live in them there 'Bread' streets Steven. My wifes nan lived in Netherby street until moving into a home just before her death. You could hear and feel the rumble of trains beneath. Great views across the Mersey.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Otterspool Road leads down to the old (Otterspool) station that is inhabited by a taxi driver or repairer judging by the amount of black cabs dotted about the old station forecourt.
    Took a wander down there today:

Entrance off Jericho Lane:

The entrance. Not sure if you'd get a car through on the pavement side. Doesn't look like anything's gone through that gate in a while though.

Off to a rough start; the road here is so choked with rubble and junk that the owner has been using the pavement:

A tree pokes out of the old tarmac. This is set about 6-8 feet back off the current track. It's amazing how overgrown this road is.

For most of it's length the road is nothing but a dirt track now.

The old lamp posts are still standing for the most part. I have no idea if they still work (I'd guess not).

End of the line. A couple of taxis suggest that someone still uses this for something. Though I guess they could have been dumped there. They don;t look particularly neglected to me.

The one on the right still has its Liverpool license on it.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Yeah I didn't get a close enough shot to make out the year on it sadly and didn't think to go closer to check at the time. :/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast