Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crawfords, Binns Road

MarkA

Default Crawfords, Binns Road

Firstly apologies for the quality of the pictures, the lighting and glass fronts didn't help at all.

CRAWFORDS RAILWAY LINE LIVERPOOL FACTORY

DRIVER BAGGY ASHTON WELL KNOWN CHARACTER IN THOSE DAYS 1913

FACTORY STAFF 1913

CRAWFORDS PRIVATE RAILWAY LINE "DOLLY MAY" LAST ENGINE TO BE USED BUILT 1917 CAME TO CRAWFORDS IN 1921

OFFICE STAFF 1913

HORSE "SHORTBREAD" WON MANY SHOW PRIZES 1912

DOME AREA LIVERPOOL OFFICE 1910

CRAWFORDS STAFF FIRST CYCLE OUTING 1910

Blog Entries

great pics mark, where are they from?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

MarkA

I'm in work at United Biscuits at the moment, they're in a corridor downstairs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    cool
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

theninesisters

Fantastic Pictures Sir!

PhilipG

Does the job drive you crackers?
    Where is/was the domed building?
    They're great pictures.

That big building on Scotland Road, on the right, past the new tunnel, used to be Jacobs.

MarkA

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Does the job drive you crackers?
    Where is/was the domed building?
    They're great pictures.

That big building on Scotland Road, on the right, past the new tunnel, used to be Jacobs.
    The Dome was a grade 2 listed building and was supposed to be a mini version of St. Paul's in London. It was demolished in the mid to late 80's when they demolished the factory. The only reason for the demolishion was to make more car park space! If you know UB/Crawfords on Binns Road, the dome was on the left hand side as you go through the tunnel that has the clock over it. That part of the building still exists and can be seen in the cycle photo. The Dome can also be seen in the background of the first photo. The marble pillars and the powder blue interior roof made it a mighty impressive room.

Gnomie

MarkA

That looks a bit more upmarket than the cardboard one's that our sales people use today. Where is it?

I took some more photo's today of the first world war rolls of honour that we have here in UB. Hopefully someone will recognise a relative of theirs. I'll put them up when I get home later.

Gnomie

Hi Mark

It was in the Liverpool life museum. dont think you will see it again for a few years.

some liverpool life pics here

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...erpool-Life-1/

and here

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...erpool-Life-2/

looking forward to the war memorials Mark. one of my subjects. any chance of a pic.

MarkA

I finish at 7pm so by the time I have my tea it'll be 8'ish when I post them.

MarkA

Have you a relative listed on these Crawford's WW1 rolls of honour?

Last edited by MarkA; 02-04-2007 at 10:02 PM.

Fantastic! It's amazing what history lurks behind closed doors...

Excellent photos - they show an entirely different world. The private railway looks quite something - I wonder if it linked up with the Edge Hill sidings/grid-iron where the tech park now stands?

Also of interest on Binns Road was the Meccano factory, where Hornby products were made - would love to see some decent photos of what life was like in there. A real shame that it has gone, especially as in it's place stands a horrible 'fitness' (go for a walk in the park FFS...) superstore or whatever it is.

MarkA

The railway runs right along side UB (Crawford's as it was) and is only separated by Crawford Way. There's a tunnel that branches off towards town and a disused one that branches off towards Rathbone Road.

There's some Meccano pictures in this link and it also shows a bit of the Lord Roberts Memorial Workshop which was next door. The workshop was one of several established across Britain after World War I to provide employment for disabled ex-servicemen.

http://www.dalefield.com/mwes/history/index.html

theninesisters

The railway runs right along side UB (Crawford's as it was) and is only separated by Crawford Way. There's a tunnel that branches off towards town and a disused one that branches off towards Rathbone Road.

There's some Meccano pictures in this link and it also shows a bit of the Lord Roberts Memorial Workshop which was next door. The workshop was one of several established across Britain after World War I to provide employment for disabled ex-servicemen.

http://www.dalefield.com/mwes/history/index.html
    Excellent pictures! My late pop used to work in Meccano in Binns Road for years and used to bring home all the latest toys for us to dismantle (well what did you do when you were 5 hehe). I've still got lots of instruction booklets from Meccano which are worth a pretty penny but wouldn't sell em for the world.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast