Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tunnels Under Liverpool

MissInformed

Default Tunnels Under Liverpool

Hey everyone.
    I thought we should have a definitive thread for all the tunnel discussion we have on here.

The tunnels discussed so far:
    1. Williamson Tunnels
    2. The Vines tunnels
    3. Baltic Fleet tunnels

Anyone have anymore to add?
    Even rumours/stories you have heard would be interesting

theninesisters

I'll kick off with the rumoured tunnel from Childwall Hall to the Childwall Abbey.

Having done some calculations on the gradient of the land, I don't think this would have ever existed. The gradient from what is now Mersey TV (where Childwall Hall once stood) to ground level at the Abbey is 47 foot - a measurement taken against the church tower and a light beam. Then give another 10ft or so to get in the celler system, you would have have a gradient of over 50 ft for just a short distance. Not a chance.

Have heard rumours for years about a tunnel that goes from the Olympia pub on West Derby road to the basement of the Olympia theatre. Heard this from numerous people in the area including a lad whose mate lived in the pub for years and someone who worked on the door of the theatre when it was the Locarno ballroom. Also stories of a lift that goes from the basement of the theatre up into the centre of the floor that was used to bring the animals up when it was a circus (Cages in the walls in the basement aswell) Dont know how much is true but it is very interesting and I love the theatre by the great theatre architect Frank Matcham

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Have heard rumours for years about a tunnel that goes from the Olympia pub on West Derby road to the basement of the Olympia theatre. Heard this from numerous people in the area including a lad whose mate lived in the pub for years and someone who worked on the door of the theatre when it was the Locarno ballroom. Also stories of a lift that goes from the basement of the theatre up into the centre of the floor that was used to bring the animals up when it was a circus (Cages in the walls in the basement aswell) Dont know how much is true but it is very interesting and I love the theatre by the great theatre architect Frank Matcham
    No tunnel from the theatre to the pub.
    It wasn't a lift for the animals in the centre of the ring, but the ring itself (the arena) could be hydraulically sunk into a pit and flooded with 80,000 gallons of water for aquatic displays.

Cheers for that mate, sounds amazing, have you been down into the basement?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Cheers for that mate, sounds amazing, have you been down into the basement?
    No, unfortunately, but there is book about Frank Matcham where I got the info from.
    I once took a group of people round the Olympia, but we couldn't go into the basement.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    Hey everyone.
    I thought we should have a definitive thread for all the tunnel discussion we have on here.

1. Williamson Tunnels
    2. The Vines tunnels
    3. Baltic Fleet tunnels

I wish I had a tunnel under Rrr ouse goin' straight t' The Lord Warden..
    "I wont be Long girl..Just lookin' f' somethin' in the Shed".....again !!

MissInformed

all good stuff so far guys...

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    Hey everyone.

1. Williamson Tunnels
    2. The Vines tunnels
    3. Baltic Fleet tunnels

Hi
    think there is one under the old Royal Infirmary, also the catacombs
    of Anfield Cem

steve

Libertarian

When I was a kid used to walk through a tunnel from Moor Lane Walton to Kirkdale Station. Strange what you get up to as a kid eh?

MissInformed

I was going through Jim Moore's 'Underground Liverpool' last night to see if there were any tunnels we had missed, and I found something in the conclusion...Page 112

"William Pring recently wrote to the Liverpool Echo about a tunnel he had excavated in Lydia Anne Street some fifty years ago. Working on the basement of a house, he discovered a tunnel with a brick-laid roadway. 'We investigated further, and found it was a roadway wide enough for a horse and wagon, and at one point had a heavy steel door across'. The Council was informed but showed little interest and Mr Pring took no further action. So what was the tunnel and is it still there?"

Interesting stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    think there is one under the old Royal Infirmary
    Yes, there are tunnels, but these are just the underfloor heating/service tunnels common to most hospitals. One branch does in fact link with the Universities engineering department - something to do with the steam turbine once connecting to the hospital boiler room I think. The tunnels are still there, but I've not been down them. The boiler house is now stripped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    When I was a kid used to walk through a tunnel from Moor Lane Walton to Kirkdale Station. Strange what you get up to as a kid eh?

We tried that when we were kids but it was all fenced off.

With regards to the catties in Anfield cem,they're all filled in now.

There is a tunnel going from the old rectory in the grounds of Alsop school going to Walton Church.

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Yes, there are tunnels, but these are just the underfloor heating/service tunnels common to most hospitals. One branch does in fact link with the Universities engineering department - something to do with the steam turbine once connecting to the hospital boiler room I think. The tunnels are still there, but I've not been down them. The boiler house is now stripped out.
    Thanks for the Info... Once Iam off my crutches, don't ask, I will get out with my camera.... Yes I have seen many such tunnels and are as you say mainly
    service tunnels, not very interesting, but still a tunnel. Did you ever go into the catacombs in anfield Cem ?, looking at a map they seem to go for miles

steve

I'm not sure,but last time I was able to get in there,it was possible to drop stones through holes in the concrete floor and listen to them drop several seconds later.Obviously,the actual catacombes must still exist and the staircases were the only parts filled in.Where are these maps you have seen?
    Are they online?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast