Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tunnels Under Liverpool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MissInformed

Default Tunnels Under Liverpool

Hey everyone.
    I thought we should have a definitive thread for all the tunnel discussion we have on here.

The tunnels discussed so far:
    1. Williamson Tunnels
    2. The Vines tunnels
    3. Baltic Fleet tunnels

Anyone have anymore to add?
    Even rumours/stories you have heard would be interesting

theninesisters

I'll kick off with the rumoured tunnel from Childwall Hall to the Childwall Abbey.

Having done some calculations on the gradient of the land, I don't think this would have ever existed. The gradient from what is now Mersey TV (where Childwall Hall once stood) to ground level at the Abbey is 47 foot - a measurement taken against the church tower and a light beam. Then give another 10ft or so to get in the celler system, you would have have a gradient of over 50 ft for just a short distance. Not a chance.

Have heard rumours for years about a tunnel that goes from the Olympia pub on West Derby road to the basement of the Olympia theatre. Heard this from numerous people in the area including a lad whose mate lived in the pub for years and someone who worked on the door of the theatre when it was the Locarno ballroom. Also stories of a lift that goes from the basement of the theatre up into the centre of the floor that was used to bring the animals up when it was a circus (Cages in the walls in the basement aswell) Dont know how much is true but it is very interesting and I love the theatre by the great theatre architect Frank Matcham

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Have heard rumours for years about a tunnel that goes from the Olympia pub on West Derby road to the basement of the Olympia theatre. Heard this from numerous people in the area including a lad whose mate lived in the pub for years and someone who worked on the door of the theatre when it was the Locarno ballroom. Also stories of a lift that goes from the basement of the theatre up into the centre of the floor that was used to bring the animals up when it was a circus (Cages in the walls in the basement aswell) Dont know how much is true but it is very interesting and I love the theatre by the great theatre architect Frank Matcham
    No tunnel from the theatre to the pub.
    It wasn't a lift for the animals in the centre of the ring, but the ring itself (the arena) could be hydraulically sunk into a pit and flooded with 80,000 gallons of water for aquatic displays.

Cheers for that mate, sounds amazing, have you been down into the basement?

PhilipG

Cheers for that mate, sounds amazing, have you been down into the basement?
    No, unfortunately, but there is book about Frank Matcham where I got the info from.
    I once took a group of people round the Olympia, but we couldn't go into the basement.

Hi Christy. I spent some time in the basement at the olympia many years ago
    There was a lift that brought up the animals but it did not work and the floor above it had been covered. As you probably know it was at one time a circus.
    However i found no secret passage,s and there where no cages,but there is a huge elephant pit where they kept the elephants. I was also a regular at the Olympia pub throughout the 60s and i never heared anything about the passage.

There's a tunnel which connects the County Sessions House and Museum in William Brown Street. I've no idea how long it's been there or why it's between these two buildings. Part of the tunnel contains cells, which are now used for storage.

Blog Entries

St. James' Cem

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Everton tunnel

Came across this having heard of it before. Anyone know if it ever happened or if so where it is and if not why not?

Liverpool Record Office: Online Catalogue')

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

The link you posted does not work... from what I am guessing I can think of two things;

a) the 'brewery tunnel' belonging to a Brew House in Everton which had a tunnel for the barrels of beer to roll down a slope from the Brewery to the yard for transportation.

b) the proposed link to the city centre that would have come out at Everton. (I'm remembering this as I haven't got any books at hand) I think it was meant to come out somewhere near the top of Sleepers Hill

. It was meant to link up with the A580 (East Lancs Road) and be a direct access from Manchester to the Liverpool Docks and Mersey Tunnels, going under the city and down towards the Mersey.

As the project was proposed during the 1920s-1930's I believe that World War II got in the way, costs escallated and the plans were shelved.

As I said, I am remembering this so my facts might not be accurate.

with regards to the tunnell at reynolds park, this tunnell does exsist and is accessible, if your not afraid of climbin a wall then going down the quarry bank.

ill try and get to it at the weekend and get some pictures for you.

Id love to find the rest of the tunnells, Any chance of getting a list of confirmed tunnells?

Aye, the tunnel at Reynolds Park is cut in the sandstone bedrock and goes up in like a spiral staircase fashion. I need to go again - this time with a camera!

Default Everton Tunnels

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Came across this having heard of it before. Anyone know if it ever happened or if so where it is and if not why not?

Liverpool Record Office: Online Catalogue')

Reference Everton tunnels, my mother worked in a Sayers Confectioners shop in Brunswick Road, which is near to Low Hill, during the thirties and forties. to get to the toilet facilities, you had to go to the basement of the shop, and access a tunnel that went under the road. There were rooms in this passageway, which contained various junk. Emerging the tunnel on the other side of the road, there was the toilet, and another passageway that led off into the darkeness. It was never explored by her. I have heard of tunnels being in the Everton area, before allegedly from the Civil War period, and have often wondered if the one under Brusnwick Road was one of them. However, I heard Frank Carlyle on Radio Merseyside one day saying that a lot of what we presume to be tunnels were in fact "Cold Rooms" constructed at the same time as the property above, to keep produce fresh, and did not necessarily lead anywhere. With the tunnels in Burnswick Road being under shops I wonder if this was the case.

Thumbs up tunnels under county rd

hi i was just wandering if anyone knows of the tunnel that runs under county rd the only thing i know is that it runs through the glebe pub ther is actually an entrance in the celler which lets you go left towards walton church or right down county rd any ifo would be appreciated thanks

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast