Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dixie Dean

Default Dixie Dean

Born 100 years ago yesterday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Dean
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

scouserdave

How soon we forget
    On the front page of the Echo last night. Surprised there's been so little response on this forum. I might be a Superior Rednose, but Dixie is up there with Shanks. Man is a legend

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    How soon we forget
    On the front page of the Echo last night. Surprised there's been so little response on this forum. I might be a Superior Rednose, but Dixie is up there with Shanks. Man is a legend
    Bill Shankly, then manager of local rivals Liverpool, said (on the BBC) "those of us privileged to see Dean play, talk of him the way people talk about Beethoven, Shakespeare or Mozart, he was that good"

After a long retirement, Dixie died in 1980, appropriately watching the Blues play their historic rivals from the other side of Stanley Park (Liverpool won 2-1.) At his funeral, huge crowds lined the streets of Liverpool in silent tribute. Bill Shankly, the Liverpool manager and football’s king of the one-liners, remarked that Dixie, dead, could draw a bigger crowd than today’s Everton, live.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Default keepin dixie

does his name have anything to do with the Dixie we used to use as a warning when we were "raidin bonnies" or getting up to mischief in Scotty in the 50s? Someone ,usually the meeker lads were given the job of "keepin dixie"

Default keepin dixie,properly

did I say meeker? meant of course the less madder

60 league goals in a season ( many more in all comps incl Internationals) and 37 career hat-tricks will surely never be beaten, and to think he was laid up too with a fractured skull after a motorbike accident.

scousedave

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    60 league goals in a season ( many more in all comps incl Internationals) and 37 career hat-tricks will surely never be beaten, and to think he was laid up too with a fractured skull after a motorbike accident.
    Ged, when I was a kid, I recall the old fellas saying that he had a metal plate inserted into his head due to his accident and that was one of the reasons he scored so many headers. Probably an urban myth generated by us miserable Rednoses.......but you never know, it could be true

scousedave

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    does his name have anything to do with the Dixie we used to use as a warning when we were "raidin bonnies" or getting up to mischief in Scotty in the 50s? Someone ,usually the meeker lads were given the job of "keepin dixie"
    "Keepin' Dixie"
    That's a blast from the past

Gerard

And he refused to salute Hitler..Warra fella..

..Go ead Lad..

http://www.bluekipper.com/dixie/legend.htm

Gerard

or the owl arses so they could gerra way from the bizzies first...Im tellin yer mate!!

does his name have anything to do with the Dixie we used to use as a warning when we were "raidin bonnies" or getting up to mischief in Scotty in the 50s?
    I had the distinct honour of meeting the man. I asked him why he had been given the nickname. He just winked and said; "Try and guess".

I was told by an uncle, who knew 'Dixie' well, that he got the name because of his tight curly hair and the crowd at Goodison park singing to him "Are you from Dixie". Take it for what it's worth, I would like to know myself.

Help find Madeleine

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    I had the distinct honour of meeting the man. I asked him why he had been given the nickname. He just winked and said; "Try and guess".

I was told by an uncle, who knew 'Dixie' well, that he got the name because of his tight curly hair and the crowd at Goodison park singing to him "Are you from Dixie". Take it for what it's worth, I would like to know myself.

Its all in the Link I put on a bit Earlier Sloyne.

Gnomie

I heard it was the curly hair but from the Tranmere fans?? i dont really know though.

I know he lost a testicle in a tackle once and that he was never booked or sent off. what would he be worth now.

Gnomie

Gerard

Great Photies Tony..

DID YER FIND IT.....CLICK IN ERE..!!!..

http://www.bluekipper.com/dixie/legend.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast