Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Dixie Dean

  1. #1
    Senior Member john's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In the Big Village
    Posts
    303
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Dixie Dean

    Born 100 years ago yesterday

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Dean

    Advertisements -------
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".


    "I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

  2. #2
    scouserdave
    Guest scouserdave's Avatar

    Default

    How soon we forget
    On the front page of the Echo last night. Surprised there's been so little response on this forum. I might be a Superior Rednose, but Dixie is up there with Shanks. Man is a legend

  3. #3
    Senior Member john's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In the Big Village
    Posts
    303
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    How soon we forget
    On the front page of the Echo last night. Surprised there's been so little response on this forum. I might be a Superior Rednose, but Dixie is up there with Shanks. Man is a legend
    Bill Shankly, then manager of local rivals Liverpool, said (on the BBC) "those of us privileged to see Dean play, talk of him the way people talk about Beethoven, Shakespeare or Mozart, he was that good"

    After a long retirement, Dixie died in 1980, appropriately watching the Blues play their historic rivals from the other side of Stanley Park (Liverpool won 2-1.) At his funeral, huge crowds lined the streets of Liverpool in silent tribute. Bill Shankly, the Liverpool manager and football’s king of the one-liners, remarked that Dixie, dead, could draw a bigger crowd than today’s Everton, live.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".


    "I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

  4. #4
    Newbie jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    places i remember
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default keepin dixie

    does his name have anything to do with the Dixie we used to use as a warning when we were "raidin bonnies" or getting up to mischief in Scotty in the 50s? Someone ,usually the meeker lads were given the job of "keepin dixie"

  5. #5
    Newbie jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    places i remember
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default keepin dixie,properly

    did I say meeker? meant of course the less madder

  6. #6
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    60 league goals in a season ( many more in all comps incl Internationals) and 37 career hat-tricks will surely never be beaten, and to think he was laid up too with a fractured skull after a motorbike accident.

  7. #7
    scousedave
    Guest scousedave's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    60 league goals in a season ( many more in all comps incl Internationals) and 37 career hat-tricks will surely never be beaten, and to think he was laid up too with a fractured skull after a motorbike accident.
    Ged, when I was a kid, I recall the old fellas saying that he had a metal plate inserted into his head due to his accident and that was one of the reasons he scored so many headers. Probably an urban myth generated by us miserable Rednoses.......but you never know, it could be true

  8. #8
    scousedave
    Guest scousedave's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    does his name have anything to do with the Dixie we used to use as a warning when we were "raidin bonnies" or getting up to mischief in Scotty in the 50s? Someone ,usually the meeker lads were given the job of "keepin dixie"
    "Keepin' Dixie"
    That's a blast from the past

  9. #9
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    And he refused to salute Hitler..Warra fella..

    ..Go ead Lad..

    http://www.bluekipper.com/dixie/legend.htm

  10. #10
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    does his name have anything to do with the Dixie we used to use as a warning when we were "raidin bonnies" or getting up to mischief in Scotty in the 50s? Someone ,usually the meeker lads were given the job of "keepin dixie"

    or the owl arses so they could gerra way from the bizzies first...Im tellin yer mate!!

  11. #11
    Help find Madeleine Sloyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    does his name have anything to do with the Dixie we used to use as a warning when we were "raidin bonnies" or getting up to mischief in Scotty in the 50s?
    I had the distinct honour of meeting the man. I asked him why he had been given the nickname. He just winked and said; "Try and guess".

    I was told by an uncle, who knew 'Dixie' well, that he got the name because of his tight curly hair and the crowd at Goodison park singing to him "Are you from Dixie". Take it for what it's worth, I would like to know myself.
    Help find Madeleine

  12. #12
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    I had the distinct honour of meeting the man. I asked him why he had been given the nickname. He just winked and said; "Try and guess".

    I was told by an uncle, who knew 'Dixie' well, that he got the name because of his tight curly hair and the crowd at Goodison park singing to him "Are you from Dixie". Take it for what it's worth, I would like to know myself.

    Its all in the Link I put on a bit Earlier Sloyne.

  13. #13
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    I heard it was the curly hair but from the Tranmere fans?? i dont really know though.

    I know he lost a testicle in a tackle once and that he was never booked or sent off. what would he be worth now.

  14. #14
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default






  15. #15
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    Great Photies Tony..

    DID YER FIND IT.....CLICK IN ERE..!!!..

    http://www.bluekipper.com/dixie/legend.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. old church/\cemetary on dean road
    By shirleya in forum Buildings and Structures
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 09:13 PM
  2. Liverpool and Dixie
    By taffy in forum Liverpool History and Heritage Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 04:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68