Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: George Kelly Cameo Cinema Murder

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    Im interested in what George told your mum Ali.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Peterborough sticks in my mind for some reason. See Chris at Allerton. I'm sure he will find them if they were buried here.
    Yes I know the guys at allerton, so will ask. Did a search on ancestry for catterall,s birth in about
    1920, it came up Grimsby, there are a few possibles for Thomas born around 1906 mostly around
    manchester, will keep digging, scuse the pun :-)

Steve

Yes Grimsby. That rings a bell too. And one of them had the DSO medal Steve.

I'd like to know where they are buried too.

Alice Rimmer (Cranborne Road murder) is buried at Allerton too. Right at the back to the right by the railway sidings and near Hillfoot.

Yes Grimsby. That rings a bell too. And one of them had the DSO medal Steve.

I'd like to know where they are buried too.

Alice Rimmer (Cranborne Road murder) is buried at Allerton too. Right at the back to the right by the railway sidings and near Hillfoot.
    OK, Allerton have no records of them, LRO will have a look for £10, anyone know what
    religion they were. I have asked the guy who runs the toxteth cem site if they are there
    Maybe, as Sefton gen hossy was next door

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    OK, Allerton have no records of them, LRO will have a look for £10, anyone know what
    religion they were. I have asked the guy who runs the toxteth cem site if they are there
    Maybe, as Sefton gen hossy was next door
    For what it's worth I did search the on-line list of burials in the Toxteth Cemetery with no result, although I suppose that listing might not be exhaustive.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    For what it's worth I did search the on-line list of burials in the Toxteth Cemetery with no result, although I suppose that listing might not be exhaustive.
    Yes I did that as well, don't think it covers 1950, does it ?

The Liverpool Echo said

John B Catterall - Assistant manager aged 25 of Hampstead Road Fairfield Liverpool was demobbed from the navy 2 months ago. He came to the city from Grimsby as trainee manager at the Cameo. He had a fine naval record having been torpedoed 3 times. He leaves a young widow.

Unfortunalety there is a hole in the echo page on the microfilm where the report of Mr Thomas would have been. Hope that helps Steve but it probably wont.

The Liverpool Echo said

John B Catterall - Assistant manager aged 25 of Hampstead Road Fairfield Liverpool was demobbed from the navy 2 months ago. He came to the city from Grimsby as trainee manager at the Cameo. He had a fine naval record having been torpedoed 3 times. He leaves a young widow.

Unfortunalety there is a hole in the echo page on the microfilm where the report of Mr Thomas would have been. Hope that helps Steve but it probably wont.
    Many thanks, at least I got Grimsby right. I will keep looking. It amazes me
    just how little info there is on victims..

One or other was buried at Yewtree cemetery. But I can't recall if it was Mr Thomas nor Mr Catteral.
    Other info could probably be obtained from Mr Thomas's brother who is apparently still alive and living on Merseyside.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dick View Post
    One or other was buried at Yewtree cemetery. But I can't recall if it was Mr Thomas nor Mr Catteral.
    Other info could probably be obtained from Mr Thomas's brother who is apparently still alive and living on Merseyside.
    Thanks for info, I will have a chat to my contact

Blog Entries

The long awaited new book, `THE CAMEO CONSPIRACY`is coming on sale in July by George Skelly printed by the prestigious Waterside Press. It is over 400 pages and is updated and includes the successful Appeal Court Ruling in London.
    Also another NEW book by George , `Murderers or Martyrs` will be on sale in October. again published by the Waterside Press, This is the one about Burns and Devlin and the Cranbourne Road Murder. and how again they were set up by Inspector Balmer.

Just thought you would like to know.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks Brian. I'm really looking forward to the book on Cranbourne Road.

Yes, I've seen on various websites, adverts for Skelly's new version of The Cameo Conspiracy. There must be quite a lot of exrtra material in it including, as Kong says, the successful appeal, because it is priced at £19.50. Quite a lot for a paperback! But maybe it's targeted at academics, lawyers etc. because I understand it is now required reading in universities and law schools, and among barristers. Mr Skelly's new book on the Cranborne Road murder - Murderers Or Martyrs - is even more expensive - £25.00. I think this might have something to do with the fact that his reputation as a true crime writer and campaigner against injustice is now becoming world-wide, but also because, I heard somewhere that he has also referred this case to the Criminal Cases Review Commission, with a view to having the convictions of Devlin and Burns overturned by the Court of Appeal. So maybe the new book contains all the detals of this too.

I read the Cameo Conspiracy many years ago. It is one of the best researched books I have ever read. It is also one of the most frustrating saddest books I have ever read. Frustrating due to the 'powers that be' giving little or no importance to the life of a fellow man.
    Can I ask some of our learned members...was it common to have a retrial so soon after the original? Also, was it normal to have an execution so soon after the verdict?
    May I also say that some of my family had 'dealings' with Balmer and they have told me he was a very nasty man with a very dodgy reputation that most people in town knew of.
    Finally, why was nothing mentioned in court about his dalliances with Doris O'Malley? Or did that not come out till afterwards? Surely some of Kelly's mates would of heard about these 'meetings'.

Blog Entries

The big problem in the 40s and early 50s if the Police arrested anyone for a crime and it was in the papers then a man was automatically believed to be guilty, or why would he have been arrested???
    The man would have to prove his innocence and not `Innocent until proven guilty`.
    This was not the law, just the way it was in those days. People believed the Police and the News papers, `always` told the truth, so the MAN must be GUILTY.

People are more sceptical these days,

Blog Entries

The new expanded version of The Cameo Conspiracy will be released in 2 weeks. It contains much more additional material, including the succesful 2003 appeals and photos. It also has a new cover, a list of chapter headings and a full index. (see website, Waterside Press). It is a much more polished and professional version.
    HOPE YOU ALL BUY THIS MASTERPIECE of Liverpool History.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast