Blog Entries

Hey,
    I am on those pages,
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    Hey,
    I am on those pages,
    Cheers
    Looks like somebody up there doesn't like you Kong!

Default Charles Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by emmagill View Post
    Hi

My name's Emma Gill and George Kelly's my late Great Uncle. He was my Grandma's brother. I am doing a lot of research at the moment into the case. I have just discovered this website and have read some of the members' comments regarding my Uncle Georgie. I am sure I can rely on the knowledge and warmth of all you scoucers with this most importantly if any of you know of any details of the case being made into a film etc.

There is an awful lot that I do know, privately within my family and I wish sometimes it were known publicly of the mental torment and heartbreak endured to my great grandparents and grandparents and great uncles during the trial and after Uncle Georgie's execution. To this day we still carry the scars and heartache in many different ways.

I know there is still a lot of interest in the Cameo Cinema Murder in Liverpool. I don't live in the City but am up there regularly and follow the Mighty Reds all the time. Fingers crossed with Barca next month!!

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has any thoughts.

All the best.

Emma Gill
    Hi Emma, I have just been reading a book written by my late grandmother only to find out that my grandfather's brother is Charles Connolly. I was so shocked to read this and have been looking into all i can find on the murder and how everyone was treated etc.

Regards Belinda Connolly

Hello Emma. I know it is an awful feeling losing any loved member of a family. in any circumstance, and I can sympathize with your family for their lose. One thing that you can always depend on in a famous / infamous event , there will be someone to invent a conspiracy theory or a reason why the verdict is/was a miscarriage of justice, it's hard but life must go on and those tragedies that we all encounter in life must be stored away, that doesn't mean forgotten, I personally can remember the awful dreary last morning of George Kellys life as I walked from Garnett avenue to my new school [Arnot street]. I was just turned 11years old and was fully aware of what was about to happen less than two miles away at Walton gaol . Though I believe capital punishment is a deterrent, I don't believe in capital punishment, for the one reason, the danger of executing one innocent person by mistake or a frame-up .

Default folklore of Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Smith View Post
    Hi Emma, I have just been reading a book written by my late grandmother only to find out that my grandfather's brother is Charles Connolly. I was so shocked to read this and have been looking into all i can find on the murder and how everyone was treated etc.

Regards Belinda Connolly
    after Connolly [he was known as just 'Connolly' to most people of Liverpool ] done his time, he became a well known and seen character around the City, performing escape tricks that included being locked up in chains and being placed in a large sack, from which he would , Houdini like, manage to escape from. It was all performed light heartedly, al la Keystone cops. While he would wiggle and wreath, grunt and groan,[for f/x] his mate would go 'round the gathered crowd with 'the cap'. I myself witnessed the escape act at the pier head, it must have been on a weekend [summer] because a lot of people where coming and going on the ferries. Another stunt he would perform, again tongue in cheek, was his strong man act, anyone who seen him will verify that there was 'more meat on a butchers pencil' than on Charlie. The act of tearing the Liverpool phone directory in half was performed with mucho macho and with exaggerated twisting of said directory and face. this act was usually performed for cinema queues. While he performed his mate again would go 'round with 'the cap' , at the same time keeping a look out for the coppers. The last time I seen your grandfathers brother was outside the Odeon cinema London road doing his phone directory act, this time the cops showed up, but Connolly and his mate made a rapid escape down the side street to the laughter of the crowd. I hope this light hearted account does not offend anyone. That you will take it as a coda to a serious subject. I must add that what I have written is a true account.

erm not so sure about that Frank. There certainly was a duo that used to do these tricks usually on the old bomb site opposite Lewis's but I do not believe it was Charlie Connolly. That was not his style anyway but i could be wrong.

As for Emma Gill, it is a waste of time corresponding with her as she has only ever posted once in three and a half years although there has been other newbies who have joined in an attempt to defend the disgaceful and abandoned grave site of "Uncle Georgie".

I am also aware of an email sent by Emma Gill to one of the men who instigated the George Kelly appeal against conviction and it was nothing less than shameful in the way she castigated him for cashing in on the cameo case. Those men involved in the appeal process spent a great deal of their own time and money in proving that "Uncle Georgie" was in fact innocent and neither of them made a single dime out of the issue nor ever intended to.

She should be ashamed of herself!

Blog Entries

Frankoz,
    That was not CHARLES CONNOLLY,
    I was a close friend of Charles for many many years until his untimely death in 1997. Charles was a very proud man and would never lower himself to that kind of activity.
    I dont think his widow and two sons would appreciate reading comments like that.
    Too many people in the past have made up stories and claiming them to be true.
    Charles was an innocent man who was caught up by a mad Detective into a crime he knew nothing about.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    Frankoz,
    That was not CHARLES CONNOLLY,
    I was a close friend of Charles for many many years until his untimely death in 1997. Charles was a very proud man and would never lower himself to that kind of activity.
    I dont think his widow and two sons would appreciate reading comments like that.
    Too many people in the past have made up stories and claiming them to be true.
    Charles was an innocent man who was caught up by a mad Detective into a crime he knew nothing about.
    I hope this clarifies the situation.
    I must stress that my account is completely true, I came in contact with people who witnessed the same situations at other times ,who where of the same opinion and knowledge as myself of the identity of the characters in question. I emigrated in 1973 and shortly before then the Odeon event happened. I had a very good knowledge of Liverpool and it's environs because of the occupations I had since leaving school.[ van boy Jacobs biscuits, taxi driver Bootle badge /Radio meter cabs the Rotunda. Kirkdale haulage, mobile crane driver Roadcraft/Woolfendens/and others.] so I wasn't just stuck in some factory for nearly 20 years. The people I came in contact with was a large cross section of Liverpool people. It does sound like you are too close to the subject to be entirely un-bias. At lease I've got a reaction. Maybe the real murderers will come forward and confess. or the two street buskers can be identified for sure. Your opinion has been taken on board.

No dont think so. They were 2 guys from the Gill street area. One was called Hughie. Somebody will come along soon and post their names on here. Kong is part of the Cameo story through no fault of his own or any participation in the crime whatsoever, but he is the first to acknowledge this and has done so many time on Yo. When it comes to the Cameo case there are a couple of posters on this site who are true experts in most aspects of the case. Some even knew the families and individuals involved!

Blog Entries

Those two characters who did the chain trick etc, were definately Not involved , some where in Yo they were discussed and identified.
    There is quite a bit of information about it that has not been published, about the identity of the killer, and so on. it is better now that it is laid to rest as there are now too many theories. Almost everyone involved are now dead and no useful purpose would be gained from it.

The escapologist was Hughie Smith. I have a book by his step son Jim Elliot.

See here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-Upon-Ti.../dp/1902964063

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

[QUOTE=Ged;274026]The escapologist was Hughie Smith. I have a book by his step son Jim Elliot.

See here.[quote]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-Upon-Ti.../dp/1902964063
    To Underworld, captain kong and Ged, thanks for your collective illuminating information. If I have erred and it looks like I may have, I sincerely apologize to any one I have upset. The error was more than likely a case of mistaken identity and just snowballed. I must stress that I was not the initiator of the error. While I'm here I must say I am not surprised that the 'Cameo case' remains of great interest in Liverpool, for as a 11/12 year old I read a newspaper account of the murder [while my Nan wasn't looking] I can't quote it verbatim but the gist of it left a vivid memory and this forum has jodded that memory, hence me typing this reply at the moment. While I'm here I must add that initially I became involved in this forum by replying to Emma Gill [reply # 349] . Again, sorry for any gaffs on my part. Watch out for Everton next season ! coyb

Frankoz. No probs as far as i'm concerned. I'm also sure Hughie Smith's step son and family don't think he was lowering himself to entertain people with such.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Frankoz. No probs as far as i'm concerned. I'm also sure Hughie Smith's step son and family don't think he was lowering himself to entertain people with such.
    Thanks for that Ged. I agree he was a typical natural scouse comic and he sure broke up the monotony waiting to get in the flix. 3-30 a.m. over here time for bed.

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast