Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: What school did you go to?

Here goes (we moved around a lot)

Started at Rushy Hey in Kirby
    then to Broad Green Infants and Juniors
    then to Underlea Open Air Special School were I remember Irene Davies, Ann Rowlands and her brother Michael and sister Janet)
    then to Abbots Lea (Woolton)
    then to Brae Street (at the time it was all girls while they were merging Clint Road Boys and Shiel Road Boys and taking the girls into Shiel Road then name changed to)
    Fairfield Girls SecModSch for girls
    then finally to Mabel Fletcher Technical College

And finally 2 weeks in Colomendy
    Oh joy, traipsing through muddy wet fields trying to read weather guages and trying not to get caught smoking in the huts. Heeheee

I went to St Michaels in the Hamlet Aigburth, then Rose Lane, got the thirteen plus and off to Toxteth Tech and Riversdale Tech

Hi Keith, I was just going to welcome you, but see you've been around since 08!? Welcome anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I went to St Michaels in the Hamlet Aigburth, then Rose Lane, got the thirteen plus and off to Toxteth Tech and Riversdale Tech
    What years at which school?

My dad taught at two of those schools...

Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    hello each, just popped in on your school conversation. I went to a mouthful called Prince Rupert Sec. Mod. Sch. for Boys, but we all called it Margie, short for Margaret Street where it was in Everton near to Mill Road Hospital, anyone know it?
    USED TO GO THE SWIMMING BATHS THERE

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    The Spinners actually ran a folk club based at Gregson's Well and Jacqui and Bridie were regular performers there.
    MIKE GROVES (SPINNERS) USED TO TEACH OUR CLASS IN ALL SOULS COLLINGWOOD STREET.

Default what school did you go to

went to All Souls RC collingwood street infants & seniors 1951 - 1958 teachers i remember sister mary, mrs murry, mike groves, thomas more, bulger, headmaster hamston
    St. Gregory's RC Sec. Mod. 1958 - 1961
    worked bevington bush, co-op blessington road, north hay market off
    great homer street nov 1962 joined the army
    family moved from cornwall streeet to huyton in 1963

Hi John, I think Ged,on here,went to st.Greg's!(but a bit later on!) Was Mr.Crowley the headmaster then?

Hi there folks. After I posted in this thread I got to thinking about one of my old schools, Underlea. Having time to spare I went on google earth but just couldnt find it. Eventually I found out that it was no longer there and ended up being bought by a Japanese fellow called Isao Ishimiz a Chocolate Millionaire and shipped to Japan in 1996 !

I couldnt get much more from ixquick other than It was built by Hamilton Gilmour a Liverpool Merchant and finished in 1857. In 1919 it was donated to Liverpool Education Committee and by 1930 was used to educate children of poor health. It closed sometime in the seventies and pupils went to Thingwall Lane building.

Id love to know more about Hamilton Gilmour but Im stymied at the moment. Does anyone know where I might be able to get his history from ?
    Cheers folks

Quote Originally Posted by nutter2b View Post
    Hi there folks. After I posted in this thread I got to thinking about one of my old schools, Underlea. Having time to spare I went on google earth but just couldnt find it. Eventually I found out that it was no longer there and ended up being bought by a Japanese fellow called Isao Ishimiz a Chocolate Millionaire and shipped to Japan in 1996 !

I couldnt get much more from ixquick other than It was built by Hamilton Gilmour a Liverpool Merchant and finished in 1857. In 1919 it was donated to Liverpool Education Committee and by 1930 was used to educate children of poor health. It closed sometime in the seventies and pupils went to Thingwall Lane building.

Id love to know more about Hamilton Gilmour but Im stymied at the moment. Does anyone know where I might be able to get his history from ?
    Cheers folks
    He must have been big in education.

The schools I went to are now officially called Gilmour Junior school and Gilmour Infants school, both are still operational in the West Allerton area on Southbank Rd, and Duncombe Rd.

That would be about 1/2 mile SW of the Underlea location.

IIRC, they were Gilmour schools in the 60's too...

----------------------

If he was Hamilton B. Gilmour - he was Chairman of the Royal infirmary from 1877 to 1897

http://books.google.com/books?id=CFM...erpool&f=false

Seems like he was....

Burial: 29 Jan 1903 St Nicholas, Halewood, Lancashire, England
    Hamilton Boswell Gilmour -
    Abode: Underlea Aigburth
    Buried by: W. R. Trench Offg. Minster.
    Register: Burials 1898 – 1919, Page 12, Entry 94
    Source: LDS Film 2147881

If you can speak Welsh, this might help...

http://www.sirddinbych.gov.uk/LL/Per...d?OpenDocument

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nutter2b View Post

Cheers folks
    There is this...

http://www.800lives.org.uk/lives/pamhilton.aspx?JS=1

You might see your old school here...

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2163.html

Hamilton B Gilmour - more stuff

He was a director of the Union Maritime Insurance Company - operating in the UK and US

http://books.google.com/books?id=N9M...our%22&f=false

In 1879 he was Chairman of the Liverpool and London and Globe Insurance Company, and seems to have very wisely (for that time) invested most of their assets in the up and coming railway industry.... from a New York document -

http://books.google.com/books?id=pcB...our%22&f=false

Got into local govt. too -

Notification of appointment of Hamilton B. Gilmour as representative on County Licensing Committee for Kirkdale Division QSP/4305/7 1889 11 Jul

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a...-115&cid=-1#-1

Member of the British Archaeological Association -

http://books.google.com/books?id=ODY...our%22&f=false

There may be a painting of him, but I couldn't get an on-line link to it -

"Merseyside Maritime Museum Hamilton Boswell Gilmour 1892 Cat.1999 no.179 illust"

Thank you Az-gilla and Oudeis. Wow ! I searched for hours and all I found was the Liverpool800 site. Im well impressed.
    Have enough there now to be going on with thnaks again.

I also went to Harrison Jones School, I left July 1960 (a very long time ago).

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

I was the only one in my family that did not go to Pleasant Street school, from my Grandmother who was born in 1889, my mother and brother and sisters also.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Is there anybody else whose prepared to admit that they didn't go to school in Liverpool?
    I'm beginning to feel like a foreigner.
    Haven't you noticed that this is a Liverpudlian site? That could be why you feel like a foreigner. Nevertheless you are welcome to join in. We can still adopt you.

Haven't you noticed that this is a Liverpudlian site.
    Haven't you noticed that PhilipG is no longer a member on this site.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast