Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avro Vulcan over The Mersey

Default Avro Vulcan over The Mersey

Here are three images taken in the late fifties of an early Avro Vulcan on a test flight from her Woodford base showing her over Speke Airport, over Crosby, where you can clearly see the Wirral to the right of the pic and Liverpool to the left and over the Mersey itself. They are copyright BAe Systems and were taken from the excellent Vulcans in Camera
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	891 River Mersey.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	1067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	891 Speke Airport.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	1068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	891 Crosby.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	1069  
    Last edited by XL391; 01-17-2007 at 10:03 AM.

FKoE

Is your avatar of the Vulcan parked outside Squires gate (Blackpool) Airport lar ?

Yeah, thats the one! Since removed, sadly...
    "Good work Raymondo, I'm bumping you back up to DS, only this time make sure it stands for Detective Seargent and not Dog Sh*t..."

Vulcan to the Sky
    Sunbeam Tiger Owners Club

FKoE

Yeah I heard about that.. Did'nt someone buy it aiming to restore it ?

Great Photies X mate

She was bought in 1983 by the Manchester Vulcan Bomber Society and there were plans to keep her airborne. The Civil Aviation Authority soon put paid to any plans for that and made it clear that no retired Vulcans wouldn't be flying without full manufacturer support (BAe) which was not forthcoming. She was then left to rot by until she became dangerous and the council ordered her destruction after the cowboy who owned her had flogged her on ebay. He always refused to do anything to look after her (a shame as she was a standby aircraft for the Falklands Campaign) and anyone trying to buy her, or even help look after her, were told, unceremoniously, to f**k off...

To see the progress on a Vulcan that IS going to fly this year, click the link at the bottom of my posts.
    "Good work Raymondo, I'm bumping you back up to DS, only this time make sure it stands for Detective Seargent and not Dog Sh*t..."

Vulcan to the Sky

FKoE

Lovely looking planes too ... I never knew the Blackpool one was on standby for the Malvinas Its a bloody shame what happened to it aye..

http://www.tvoc.co.uk/ Nice one

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE View Post
    Lovely looking planes too ... I never knew the Blackpool one was on standby for the Malvinas Its a bloody shame what happened to it aye...
    About halfway down this page are some pictures of what happened to her.... I managed to save one of her engine covers though, it's enormous!! Also, she was actually shredded at Nortons on the Dock Road!! They knocked the cockpit and engines back because of radioactivity...
    Last edited by XL391; 01-17-2007 at 10:55 AM.

Vulcan to the Sky

Blog Entries

Excellent pics
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

I've seen the Blackpol one, its on my hd somewhere..
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

It's a shame that rare planes like that are lost. It's hard to believe that of all the thousands of WW2 Lancasters, Wellingtons and Halifax bombers only one or two of each type survives.

Still, it's great that there'll be one flying again soon - they've worked hard and it's paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I've seen the Blackpol one, its on my hd somewhere..
    See if you can dig it out Kev

Vulcan to the Sky

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Still, it's great that there'll be one flying again soon - they've worked hard and it's paid off.
    Not long now, hopefully she'll be seen at Southport Airshow next year... (Take some earplugs!!)

Vulcan to the Sky

XL391, brilliant post, and thanks for the great photographs,and
    Vulcans in Camera,site. Thanks to FKoE for the www.tvoc.co.uk site, really
    interesting.

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Thanks to FKoE for the www.tvoc.co.uk site, really interesting.
    Ah its the link X provided Jimmy in his footer .. good stuff aye

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by XL391 View Post
    About halfway down this page are some pictures of what happened to her.... I managed to save one of her engine covers though, it's enormous!! Also, she was actually shredded at Nortons on the Dock Road!! They knocked the cockpit and engines back because of radioactivity...
    Cheers XL mate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast