Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garston Memories

Default Garston Memories Credit due

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    You'll credit the authors, of course?
    I don't mind my cinema articles being used, but I'd like the credit (and the blame!).
    Of course you'll be credited. Those who want their real names used, send me a private message. Scans of any old Garston photos you might have would also be appreciated.

Garston Tennies officially named Speke Road Gardens which the original poster mentions. Picture courtesy of the L.R.O.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A023381.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	1089  

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    I lived in Highbank Drive before the school was built, and in fact I played soccer on that area, long before even the housing estate was built!
    I was born on the floor of the flats in Highbank Drive!! (Best place for me - says me Mam)

Did you play on the field when it was Joy's Field, Norm? Do you remember the Avenue that ran through to the Cenotaph - came out by the Legion? I don't personally as I was way too young but my brother and Mum remember it well when they first came up here from Edge Hill.

anyone remember the fair behind lennons by the alex, or the pandemonium band doing their thing round the alehouses?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I enjoyed the read. I wonder if fellow Garstonians had similar experinces? I had different ones and will probably post soon.
    You wern't born In Garston though to be a Garstonian.

I'm really a Toxteth man then!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpatooti View Post
    I was born on the floor of the flats in Highbank Drive!! (Best place for me - says me Mam)

Did you play on the field when it was Joy's Field, Norm? Do you remember the Avenue that ran through to the Cenotaph - came out by the Legion? I don't personally as I was way too young but my brother and Mum remember it well when they first came up here from Edge Hill.
    Hi! Sorry to be so slow in answering! Grandkids on school Hols!! Yes I certainly do remember 'The Avenue'! Smith's old farmhouse on one side, and a pond that we used to build rafts on on the opposite side, the avenue wandered on towards 'Ashcrofts house by the railway yards , then "Over the Iron Bridge" towards Hunts Cross and Speke.. (Your Mum will smile at the mention of the 'Iron Bridge'!!! PS. My mum lived in the Highbank Rd flats, No. 65.

No 14 until I was 6. Don't live too far away now - can't give exact location as I am in MI5!

It was lovely when we were kids - we had free reign

Default Garston memories

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpatooti View Post
    Well I don't know who wrote the original post - but he must have been about my age - all of the people he mentioned did exist - cos I knew them and went to school with most of them!! There was no tram turntable in Horrocks Avenue by the old dole though - not in the 60s cos the trams had finished and we had buses.

All those girls were my friends!!
    Hi

I knew these people too. I went to Springwood school with Yvonne Feast, Lynne's cousin. I lived in Condor Close. I was just wondering if maybe we knew each other all those years ago.

Karen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hi

I knew these people too. I went to Springwood school with Yvonne Feast, Lynne's cousin. I lived in Condor Close. I was just wondering if maybe we knew each other all those years ago.

Karen
    welcome to the site Karen
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

hiya
    Does anyone remeber the " Blackie " in Bowden Rd .?

karen

Thumbs up GARSTON

MY FIRST JOB IN 1937 WAS AT THE ELECTRICAL STORE NEAR THR BRIDGE. DELIVERINGTHE ACCUMALATORS AND DRY BATTERIES > TO THE AREA> ELECTRIC RADIOS WERE JUST COMMING IN AS A CHEAP ARTICAL 2nd JOB WAS at ROOTES AIRCRAFT FACTORY IN SPEAKE. I LIVED IN AIGBURTH/GRASSENDALE RIGHT NEXT TO THE CRICKET CLUB.
    MY THIRD JOB WAS IN THE ARMY AS A REGULAR SOLDIER 1942 TO 1962.
    AND ONCE A KINGO ALWAYS A KINGO
    TAKECARE ALL AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL >
    QUESTION HOW MODERN IS GARSTON THESE DAYS??????

ARTHUR FARRINGTON SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Welcome to the forum Arthur, I know you will enjoy it. I used to enjoy your postings in the Echo.

I would like to explain why Arthur types in caps, he is not being rude, he has an eye problem. It never was a problem to me and I hope the rest of the forum accepts it and welcomes him, he writes some interesting stuff.
    Last edited by shytalk; 06-11-2007 at 04:08 AM.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Quote.
    "Between the wood and the coal there used to be a walkway that linked Banks Road to Speke Road."

Wasn't my first school along this track, on the right going up hill.

We used to re-enact the films on that rugged piece of wasteland opposite the Empire. I seem to remember it was surrounded by advertising hoardings. The mounds of earth on there seemed like canyons and mountains, ideal for cowboy/war games.

Living in Shand Street, (You can still see the vague outline of the kerbing on Google Earth) I was just a hop skip and a jump from the shore and the bottle works etc. That part rings true. I heard the knocking off whistle/horn? regularly. I didn't know what it was at first but I Asked! - Being a nosey little sod.

Can anybody tell me why I was always able to get a silver shilling for the gas meter from the Tannery front office? Why would they have stacks of silver shillings there? My mam always sent me up the street for them. (The Tannery was just to the right at the end of Shand Street.

Ed
    "Nec Aspera Terrent"
    The Kings Regiment

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Ged,
    Thanks for that GREAT pic.
    There are more houses than I remember, but the tank - That I do remember!
    I also remember my dad putting our dead cat into a sack and throwing it over the fence by that tank, then watching amazed as it came flying right back over the fence. (I've always imagined it hitting some worker on the head).

BTW,
    Does anybody remember [Rollo's?] on King Street. A sort of general store and broken biscuit, gas mantle type of shop?
    Last edited by eddie french; 06-11-2007 at 01:39 PM.
    "Nec Aspera Terrent"
    The Kings Regiment

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast