Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Speke District

Greetings from Loughborough, from somebody who lived in the 'posh' end of Speke 1955 to 1980.

The so called 'posh' end was the West End and the 'posh' tag was given by me Mum who lived in Blackrod Avenue until 1995.

My memories of Speke were in the main happy ones. I was always defensive of Speke and still am. Going down the Onk, the Damwoods and Speke Hall.
    Endless games of footy on the field by Blackrod Avenue and memories of playing cricket in the summer when all of our Dads would come out and play. Memories of Smithy Lane where there was a branch of the Library, the Crescent and the New Shops( The Parade). I still called them the New Shops when I left the Pool in 1980.

From what I have read,there has been a bit of a renaissance in Speke and I shall see for myself by dropping off there on the way to the match.

Good luck to everybody who still lives in Speke .

All the best

Steve

Blog Entries

Hi Steve and welcome. Things are certainly moving ahead at some pace in Speke, the trip to the morissons last night confirmed that, it was chocker.

Strange how they have built it between two housing areas. Its being used a s cut through for the troublesome teens . Lets hope that wears off.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I don't mind the Morrison's In the Belle Vale part of Gateacre.

You can smell da fish though from the fishmonger part.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

hi...i grew up in the prefabs in Rycot road from 1951 - 1966.....played in `the orchard`/ on the ralla( a big pond)...the `onk` as it was known(oggy shore) as far as i can remember was nicknamed after a whale was beached down the bottom of dungeon lane...it subsequently died..and the smell was terrible...it `honked`...hence the `onk`....we also used to go to the `figure 8` ..2 ponds which were where fords is now...train spotting/plane spotting/egging/speke hall/the damwoods/the bluebell woods/ so many places to explore......if one of my kids or grandkids done what i did,i`d freak....it seemed natural to explore then....all seems too dangerous now....regards...fiftyfive...

I discovered girls in Speke.
    I lived at 118 Eastern Avenue. Played on the building site that was the 'Ford Road' as it was being laid.
    I remember the old bus canteen at the end of the avenue by the pub, the strongest smelling tea I have ever sniffed. ( A great smell)
    I took my first communion at St Ambrose church. Mr brown was my teacher at the school that year. (He was also my uncle by virtue of being my Auntie's husbands brother.)
    There was sometimes trouble with gangs fighting around central way and the police took to using 'Black Moria's (Maria's?) to patrol.
    I was at the age when Christmas's were the best ever in your life, it must have been around 68 - 69. What a great era.
    "Nec Aspera Terrent"
    The Kings Regiment

Chris48

I worked in Speke for years. I once saw the original plans and how it should have had a promenade down at Oglet and also a cinema. The whole idea was to integrate workers and bosses and provide everthing in the one township. The west side of Speke was always nice when I first went there in the 70s. It's not so nice now but at least the Dymchurch has been improved.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234